Would you rather have a vintage Strat or a Ferrari?

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.

GuitarTalk

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
These are sometimes found in the back of my Corolla (61’ and 57’). I’ll go a step further and say that I’ll never buy an expensive car (maybe a Tesla) but I will own a Burst before Im outta here🤞🤞🤞. Im in my 20’s and most guys my age would take an exotic car over anything, but if I have an extra $100k that I HAVE to spend on a hobby today, it will go into more pre cbs strats/teles/amps.

I know the same can be said about a Squier sounding better than a pre/cbs Fender, but to me there’s something satisfying in pulling up in a stock Model 3/X/S Tesla next to someone in their pimped out AMG C63 or modded Skyline and leaving them in dust. Tens of thousands of mods, only to get gapped by a cheap electric production car 🤭

1653193677663.jpeg

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
What year? What color? It better be good if you're giving up a Ferrari for it.
In reality I have no desire for either so if in this hypothetical there are only two choices it's a vintage Strat. The Ferrari will be worth 1/4 of it's new price in 10 years (because Ferraris that are neither new or classic aren't cool) while the vintage Strat will likely retain its value and or increase.

Plus it stores under the bed easier than a car. Also, it's easier to pretend I know what to do with a guitar.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
In reality I have no desire for either so if in this hypothetical there are only two choices it's a vintage Strat. The Ferrari will be worth 1/4 of it's new price in 10 years (because Ferraris that are neither new or classic aren't cool) while the vintage Strat will likely retain its value and or increase.

Plus it stores under the bed easier than a car. Also, it's easier to pretend I know what to do with a guitar.
I just want to own a Ferrari so I can act like a giant doosh nozzle while I'm at the local car wash. 🤣

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Why can't I have both?

Am I not worthy?
You can, even in the strict choice scenario, and it does indeed depend on your worthiness as a function of your creativity. For example, selecting the Ferrari, renting it to a movie studio and using the proceeds to purchase the vintage Strat could be one way to have both.