Wood Trem block

Frijolito1988

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 30, 2013
CA
Hey guys so I just put a wood block on my trem to keep it flush since i dont care for the whammy bar , and i love the feel, to me the strings feel firmer and very much in tune , but my question is do i have to tighten the two screws that stretch the springs ?

SethStratMan

Senior Stratmaster
May 17, 2012
Two Rivers, WI
Frijolito1988 said:
Hey guys so I just put a wood block on my trem to keep it flush since i dont care for the whammy bar , and i love the feel, to me the strings feel firmer and very much in tune , but my question is do i have to tighten the two screws that stretch the springs ?

You could essentially take them off, but there is no reason to do that. What I mean is they are basically useless considering the wood is holding it now. So, to answer your question, just tighten it enough that the springs don't rattle. :)

oatsoda

Puck of Paradox
Jul 10, 2011
The Shack, Nova Scotia
I thought you meant that you replaced the metal block hanging down under the trem with a block of wood. Interesting idea. We're always on about the mass of the thing. What if it was a chunk of something like ebony, or lignum vitae, or conversely, something more resonant like mahogany?

juanjosebh

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 8, 2012
Veracruz Mexico
I thought you meant that you replaced the metal block hanging down under the trem with a block of wood. Interesting idea. We're always on about the mass of the thing. What if it was a chunk of something like ebony, or lignum vitae, or conversely, something more resonant like mahogany?

Like this??

Sent via Hedwig.

Attachments

• image-2529621679.jpg
    image-2529621679.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 349
  • image-2359001189.jpg
    image-2359001189.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 167

Frijolito1988

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 30, 2013
CA
Weird I'm trying to do the same fOr my 80s japanese strat but it will not sit flush. All the strings are loose but that is as Low as it will get

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130420_160300.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_160300.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 134
  • ForumRunner_20130420_160316.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_160316.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 80

rhgwynn

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 29, 2012
Brattleboro,VT
It's the thin, half-block. There are better blocks out there. If you have a Squier or MIM, get the Fender Big Block Tremolo Assembly. It's about $20 and well worth it. Includes Bridge, Saddles, and Block - assembled; that's it though.

-Rob

You actually have the big-block in your 2012, btw.

You'll have to measure the screw-spacing on the MIJ to see if it will fit...

-Rob

JohnDH

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 5, 2012
Wilton NSW Australia
I blocked a trem with a piezo system!:

piezo2.jpg

GuitarNutz 2 - Adding a Piezo pickup

Funk Nacho

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 7, 2013
Australia

lol...same! What a great idea. I bet ebony would be interesting.

sjtalon

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 27, 2006
Upper Peninsula-Michigan
It's the thin, half-block. There are better blocks out there. If you have a Squier or MIM, get the Fender Big Block Tremolo Assembly. It's about $20 and well worth it. Includes Bridge, Saddles, and Block - assembled; that's it though.

-Rob

Being it's decked and that there is a block in there as well, I doubt spending that money would make a hill of beans diff...................little to gain there and subjective.

Just go and play the thing !