Why is Pink Floyd more popular and appealing than Rush?

vker

Strat-Talker
Sep 17, 2011
USA
I’ll take a stab at this piñata corpse of a thread… with some obvious differences:

Pink Floyd-

As a band, more overall classic analogue ground breaking sound effects, dirty and crunchy guitar sounds.

Early Floyd w/ Syd was more sing- songey.
Laden with experimentation and psychedelia.
Thinking of Saucerful of Secrets, Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Rush-

As a band clean and precise footprint, a more processed and modern effects palette.
More modern synth type sounds, intricately designed musical parts rooted in pure musicianship and showmanship.

I like both bands,

Pink Floyd was a bigger influence on me personally,

but also respect the uniqueness of Rush.

Last edited:

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
He plays faster..

Does he though? If he is, not by much.

La Villa Strangiato is often cited as his solo masterpiece. The fast parts are every bit as chaotic and sloppy as anything Page has done (think Since I’ve Been Loving You). LZ has plenty of long songs with odd time signatures so he doesn’t have him there. I’d wager Page is a more skilled fingerpicker and overall acoustic player…certainly judging by their recorded output.

I personally love them both and their respective bands but this notion that Lifeson is somehow this virtuoso above Page is false (as if you could really measure it). Take away the odd time signatures and most of his parts aren’t that difficult. Lots of ringing suspended chords.

AV59

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
I genuinely believe Alex is easily better than (overrated) Page.
Overrated by whom? The same people at Guitar World who put him as the #6 Greatest Guitarists of ALL TIME on that list you referenced? 🤣

Just want to make sure I understand, the same people were wrong with Jimmy Page at #6, but the same people were correct to put Alex Lifeson at #3, um ok.

Last edited:

WhiteWabbit

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Canada
Does he though? If he is, not by much.

La Villa Strangiato is often cited as his solo masterpiece. The fast parts are every bit as chaotic and sloppy as anything Page has done (think Since I’ve Been Loving You). LZ has plenty of long songs with odd time signatures so he doesn’t have him there. I’d wager Page is a more skilled fingerpicker and overall acoustic player…certainly judging by their recorded output.

I personally love them both and their respective bands but this notion that Lifeson is somehow this virtuoso above Page is false (as if you could really measure it). Take away the odd time signatures and most of his parts aren’t that difficult. Lots of ringing suspended chords.
I wasn’t that serious but I might think he’s slightly more technically inclined than Page but I don’t care to compare. Page will always be the GOAT of rock guitarists… tied with Hendrix of course!

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I wasn’t that serious but I might think he’s slightly more technically inclined than Page but I don’t care to compare. Page will always be the GOAT of rock guitarists… tied with Hendrix of course!

I figured as much and neither am I. For certain things you could be right. If I have to measure it, I tend to measure that element by whether I can play songs from both. It’s not a perfect barometer but it gives me an idea of each’s technical ability. From the songs I’ve learned from both, there are plenty from both of simple parts and plenty I had trouble with. I can’t play Bron Y Aur but I can play the Trees. I haven’t tried Achilles Last Stand yet but from what I’ve studied of it, it looks a PIA.

Latest posts