Who makes the best mint green pickguard?

Cheeg

New Member!
Jan 12, 2022
US
Well I’m having a hell of a time trying to find the “right” mint color for my new JM Jag. I’m definitely looking for the more khaki tone of mint and not the mint ice cream tone.

Whatever mint pickguard this Jag has is what I’m looking for, and whatever this Strat has is what I’m trying to avoid. Hopefully just going with a Fender brand pickguard will be the right decision?

Looks like the official Fender pickguard is a bit on the bluish mint ice cream side. It’s much more subtle than what I posted initially, but not the khaki yellowed green look I’m going for. My hunt continues…

ptb1

Strat-O-Master
Aug 20, 2020
Norway
I like the older (ca <2005) of the original Fender better than the current ones, that I think is a bit too mint.

I was "lucky" to find the old version of a 62 pic guard, and here you can see the difference between that one and the color tone of the current production:

IMG_1639.JPG

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway
I bought a mint green D'Andrea pickguard which was decent.

But isnt the history of the mint green that it was accidental? That the middle layer bled trough the white and gave this mint green shade after some time?
Antigua was also accidental.

ptb1

Strat-O-Master
Aug 20, 2020
Norway
^^ Not sure if it was in 2005, or later, they changed the cardboard wrapping from this design:
IMG_1638.JPG
... to the "new" Black/Red.
But, the one I got was NOS, so not necessarely exposed to too much light.

And - another guy (who claimed to "know") had a comment to this in another tread that - yes, they changed the color tone at some date.

ptb1

Strat-O-Master
Aug 20, 2020
Norway
Those who just want a tint of mint can try to order the one Fender used on the Blackmore Signature Strat. Fender spare part number 0054622002.

Listed as WBW, but here compared to a Fender pure white one:

IMG_1812.JPG

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
I'm positive there are two fender mint greens. The one I have installed on my Mystic red American Standard is not the same as the one that comes with the Oly White Vintera. The latter is way more minty and mine more subtle.

Attachments

• 20220110_221216.jpg
    20220110_221216.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 3

catsandstrats

Strat-Talker
Aug 2, 2020
US
I’ve thought recently that the vinteras seem to get a very green looking guard, the one on my AO was a greeny greyish colour
Agreed - the Vinteras look very green. The AOs look better to my eyes but even at that they are greener than Fender pickguards used to be. Not sure if it’s a conscious choice or just the way the current plastic supplier makes it but I do hope they start shading them a little more khaki. Compared to my 2004 MIM 60s Strat when it was new the modern mint is greener and the aged white seems darker and yellower.

MaartenX

Strat-Talker
Aug 2, 2022
The Netherlands
I'm amazed how nice the mint green pick guard looks on an Olympic white/maple strat. I'm planning buy that very guitar soon but I also think it looks sweeter on an Oly white/rosewood strat.....
Hmm. This does look good. I should put a mint guard on my Oly White American Performer….

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
Crazy parts in Germany, the real nitrate ones….
about the most vintage correct reproduction made, they went to great lengths to get this pretty dang close to the real deal.
however it’s not cheep.
F485713E-2246-4EFB-BF35-BB91D8A8F399.jpeg

slabboardsam

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 14, 2022
West Lafayette, IN
5A61D4A4-9310-49DA-BBDF-7C2848C05481.jpeg

This is a brand new Fender "mint green" '62 Strat pickguard on a Guitar Mill body finished by Dustin Bloomer at Bloomdoom guitars. This is exactly how the color looks to my eye, more tan than green.