Where does the metal for the Trem Block come from?

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I always wondered why they just don't run with making a trem block from cast iron steel. Density is roughly the same.

archetype

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
@Rufustelestrat

Less Expensive:
1. Zinc/Aluminum pot metal.

More Expensive:
1. Cast Steel. I've never seen one that was spec'd with the steel type. Modern ones are near-net castings that are in their final shape and get little to no machining. The steel has a grain from the way the steel flowed in casting, but it's usually randomish and not linear.
2. Machined steel. Usually this is 1018 or 1020 steel and cold rolled stock with linear grain.
3. Machined brass. Made from rolled stock. I've never seen one spec'd with the brass type.
4. Exotica. Some manufacturers in search of something to market to us will make blocks of IIRC "titanium" or stainless steel. Any "titanium" block is likely titanium-steel alloy, as straight titanium is difficult to machine.

A guitar's tone is the sum of its parts and changing the block may or may not produce a discernable, sonic difference. Beware of confirmation bias when testing.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

When you change the trem block in your Strat, please make sure you put new strings on the guitar.

That's the way everyone pronounces "I definitely hear a difference when I changed my trem block!"

Otherwise the tone only seems to matter if you are selling trem blocks.

iu

Myself, I either deck or block trems -- otherwise they are distracting by trying to see how far I can dive bomb before having tuning issues and then modding trying to fix tuning issues to try dive bombing further. And I should be playing my guitar, so I deck or block. Eric Clapton approves blocking trems, so the solution is official.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK

When you change the trem block in your Strat, please make sure you put new strings on the guitar.

That's the way everyone pronounces "I definitely hear a difference when I changed my trem block!"

Otherwise the tone only seems to matter if you are selling trem blocks.

iu

Myself, I either deck or block trems -- otherwise they are distracting by trying to see how far I can dive bomb before having tuning issues and then modding trying to fix tuning issues to try dive bombing further. And I should be playing my guitar, so I deck or block. Eric Clapton approves blocking trems, so the solution is official.

Does the wood used affect the tone? I’ve used a pice of sapele and it seems to have increased the treble. If I used it with a stainless steel block would they work against each other or enhance the treble?

TepidPilot

Strat-O-Master
Apr 26, 2019
South Central Texas
Trem blocks are made from unobtanium ore, which is mined at a secret location. The raw ore is then sent to the impossibilium smelter where it is refined into the material from which trem blocks are cast. A recent development is impossibilium wire, which is formed into trem blocks by 3D printing. HTH.

TP

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I always wondered why they just don't run with making a trem block from cast iron steel. Density is roughly the same.

Cast iron is not steel. It's much softer, but it would probably make a perfectly good trem block.

mattier303

Strat-Talker
Apr 28, 2012
new mexico
Mine are made from the rarest metal on earth, comets …the s,as one king tuts sword was made from….krypton it’s baby…
but honestly make sure they are magnetic , i certainly gp can hear a difference in shattty zinc plated condensed tin foil blocks over the nice solid metal ones. And no paint….also I replace a lot of ,y ibanez lo pro edge blocks with brass ones and it’s like ringing a bell, sustain for days…one of the easiest cheapest m tone enhancing mods I know of