What Is Your Number One Strat?

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Hi guys, I don't know how many of these types of posts you guys get in this forum, so if you don't like seeing this post just fly away and be free guys!

Do you guys have "the one", your number one strat that you feel like you'll hold on to forever and that you connect to like no other guitars? The strat that you think it's better than all of the others in your own opinion and experience?

If so, please share some photos, and if you have any stories to share along I would love to read through them! There's nothing like getting second-hand enjoyment from people's experiences in getting their dream guitar.

I'll start, mine is a recently found treasure, American Original 60's Strat in Olympic White.

unnamed.jpg

Since I got my first strat which was MIJ hybrid 50's,
capture.jpg
I started to want a rosewood pre 65 spec strat with nitro finish. All of my guitar heroes played rosewood board relic strat... SRV, John Frusciante and John Mayer. I thought trying to wear nitro finish by playing would be fun to look back on in years time. Naturally, I looked for ARVI 62 and AO 60's, I'm not joking for 2 years I've been trying guitars in different shops and online to find a guitar I want. But then there was nothing I actually liked, some didn't sound that much better than what I had and some guitars had really light rosewood, which is not my taste, or some guitars were too dam heavy.

So I gave up, only recently a couple of months ago, I started to search again, since the American Original series was discontinued and it was becoming really hard to find them around. I thought if I don't try to look for it now, I won't be able to for a while or pay a lot when they release the successor of the AO series.

Then I found something! 62 vintage reissue hot rod, thin skin nitro, nice and dark rosewood and 9.25 radius (I like 9.25 radius) 3 sunburst. I had to buy it online and get it shipped, kinda not my thing because I don't like buying a guitar without trying it but I thought why not? Give it a shot, so I call the shop like 2 hours after they open because I had to be on a call for work. I simply called to ask about the weight and if the weight was light enough I was going to pull the trigger..... Then as I was talking to the shopkeeper the guitar got sold by another person on the phone with the other sales rep..

Capture.PNG

So I kept searching and ended up calling this online store that had one guitar in stock in shell pink. I called them and they said, sorry, we don't actually have that in stock anymore because one of the employees bought it. I was like 'not again' ....

But the guy on the phone told me there's a store that they share inventory with that has 4 AOs in stock right now. So I called the shop went there and asked the guy if I can have a look at all 4 of the strat. Gracefully he said 'of course do whatever you like man', so this is what I did,

IMG_3336.jpeg
We had a blast comparing each guitars, two guys at the shop, and I.

I'm telling you guys those guitars were all different and the shell pink guitars, even the finish was different, one was lighter in colour than the other! And look at the case even that was different.

At the end plugged in 2 guitars, one shell pink and one olympic white. This Olympic white strat.. my god sounded tooo dam good. As soon as I plugged in I was like "wow..." I liked the shell pink colour more but I had to go with the Olympic white..

Later on the guys at the shop told me that, they really liked the strat they often played it time to time... So, it wasn't just me who thought that this guitar was amazing.

IMG_3403.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg
Now I own the best guitar I have ever tried and it feels amazing! Also any name idea for olympic white guitar? I love it so much that I want to name it!

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 21

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I have 8 guitars, and they are all good. Of those 8, 5 of them are great. Of those 5, 2 have a certain special something that I love. Neither of those 2 are Strats. In fact neither of those 2 are even Fenders.

All that being said, I don't really consider any of my guitars as a "number 1" because I like them all, and I play them all, and as soon as I start thinking I have a favorite, I usually pick up one of the others and that idea goes right out the window.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
The Black Squier no doubt.
Yep. It's magical.

I was talking once with Ry Cooder about playing and equipment and stuff. I asked him about magic. He knew exactly what I was getting at.

"I have this old oil can delay. It's my magic box. Nothing else sounds like it. And it freaks me out thinking about not having it in the chain."

I told him about my Coricidin bottle slide...the one I've had for 45 years. I said no other slide sounds like it.

"I'm with you. I have one I made from a sherry bottle. No other slide I have sounds like it. Something's in the glass."

Ry went on...

"You gotta remember something man...not everyone can percieve the magic we're talking about. That magic has to be in you too. And that's what these favorite things do...help you use the magic in you. Focus it...pull it out. In someone's else's hands it's just another thing. In yours, you're f'n Merlin."

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
neither of those 2 are even Fenders.
I have 8 guitars, and they are all good. Of those 8, 5 of them are great. Of those 5, 2 have a certain special something that I love. Neither of those 2 are Strats. In fact neither of those 2 are even Fenders.

All that being said, I don't really consider any of my guitars as a "number 1" because I like them all, and I play them all, and as soon as I start thinking I have a favorite, I usually pick up one of the others and that idea goes right out the window.
Care to share some photos? would love to see!

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Yep. It's magical.

I was talking once with Ry Cooder about playing and equipment and stuff. I asked him about magic. He knew exactly what I was getting at.

"I have this old oil can delay. It's my magic box. Nothing else sounds like it. And it freaks me out thinking about not having it in the chain."

I told him about my Coricidin bottle slide...the one I've had for 45 years. I said no other slide sounds like it.

"I'm with you. I have one I made from a sherry bottle. No other slide I have sounds like it. Something's in the glass."

Ry went on...

"You gotta remember something man...not everyone can percieve the magic we're talking about. That magic has to be in you too. And that's what these favorite things do...help you use the magic in you. Focus it...pull it out. In someone's else's hands it's just another thing. In yours, you're f'n Merlin."
I totally understand that magic. And it's got nothing to do with price tags or brand names.

This guitar has it.

09B667E8-6E43-490B-B05E-9266C11A96D4.jpeg

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
View attachment 584561 This is my 1986 Contemporary, maybe ‘cause is the last guitar I performed with, years ago. Maybe ‘cause is black, but I can’t imagine to sell it. these days I’m still in honeymoon with a Les Paul, but when i get this black guitar out of her case, well we start to be as one for Hours...
And it's one pickup.... man that's sick

HighwayStar106

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 5, 2018
United Kingdom
FFBA776B-1250-4ABB-AA19-8A403CA53E6A.jpeg

This MIM Lone Star Strat has been my favourite ever since I got it back in 2019. I’d spent the whole day trying out guitars (having already done some casual shopping around in the few months prior), including Squier CV Strat and Teles, a Player Series Strat and a Deluxe Player Strat, but nothing really said ‘buy me’.

I was about to go back and get the CV Strat, when I spotted this at the back of the shop, hidden behind some Jazzmasters. Plugged it in, played a few notes and immediately knew I had to have it. I didn’t even know or care what model it was or where it was made - I had to double check there wasn’t a 1 at the start of the price tag that I’d missed, because I couldn’t believe such a nice guitar would be within my meagre price range!

It could still be surpassed as my number 1, but it would take something very special to do that. Something like that AO60s, in fact…

Stone

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
Dont have a Number 1, love all my guitars and they each serve a purpose as for a Strat i dont have a Fender Stratocaster but i do have a Charvel DK22 Pro Mod Super Strat, which i absolutely love, it checks all the boxes I need and once i resolved the initial MiM QC issues and set it up to my liking its one of my 3 guitars that i really love

1660564737172.png