What age were you, when you first bought a pre-CBS Strat ?

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
1975. I was 20 and picked up my '61 Olympic White, with case and a Crybaby, for $125. According to the neck date, my Strat turns 61 years old tomorrow!

Bill, tgo
Very cool. Do you have that one posted elsewhere on the Strat-Talk forum that you can link here? I'd love to see that one. Did it have any of the original case candy?

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
I’ve never had one. Outside of a miracle, I don’t see it happening, either.

I did own a 1964 Fender Mustang for a while in the early 1990’s.
Looked awesome.
Original “snakeskin” hard shell case.
Didn’t like the feel (I figured out later I didn’t/don’t like short-scale guitars).
Sold it when I bought my Fiesta Red Stratocaster.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Old thread not dead!
Never had a complete pre CBS Strat, but butchered some CBS Strats looking for good bits, and have had lots of pre CBS parts.
Bought a 59/60 Jazzmaster body in 1990 from a friend who wanted the slab board neck to assemble a slab board Strat. $300,
I may have traded him my 57 Deluxe amp for te body and cash or maybe the amp was a separate deal, but pre CBS Tweed Deluxe was mine when I was maybe 39.
Still have a '64 Tele neck now on an MIJ body of unknown year.
My first guitars was a '65 Mustang for $50 which again, used the parts I liked (the neck) and benched the rest.
Also bought a '65 Strat body from the guitar tech shop in the Berklee building who said it belonged to a famous Boston player who went to MIT and invented guitar stuff. The thing was routed out and filled with switches contolling a pair of HBs with 11 wires each, ten taps onneach coil for 624 switched sounds. Tech said the owner wanted it to go to SOMEONE, but wanted his name left out of the deal. Schold!
All 624 sounds sucked so I filled all the routed wood, gave it a set of 1950s Strat pickups I believe were legit 54 because they had the A3 tone, refretted an MIJ maple neck with extra jumbo wire and who knows what the rest of the old used Strat parts I got for it were from.
Best Strat I ever played and a few other players agreed it had magic tone. Lost it in a pawn shop to a heroin habit.

'65 is not pre CBS though some confuse BF era '67 with pre CBS.
May have forgotten some guitars and parts.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
When I was 14 my guitar teacher that I had for about 6 months had a 57 Fender Strat that he let me play for our lessons.
Yeah, really.
I’m 59 and that is still the last pre CBS I have ever touched.

Michelotti

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Aug 29, 2015
England
The votes are in!
Well, 28 of the votes are in, anyway...
And the results are as follows:

Purchase Age 10-19: 21%
Purchase Age 20-29: 36%
Purchase Age 30-39: 29%
Purchase Age 40-49: 7%
Purchase Age 50-59: 7%

Worth noting that every one of the teenage purchases was made before the price boom.

My (somewhat predictable...) conclusions are:
(i) the pre-CBS Strat urge can set in as early as the late teens
(ii) it is most often fulfilled at peak "earnings exceed outgoings"
(iii) when you reach sixty without a pre-CBS Strat, you can consider yourself immune...

Last edited:

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
The votes are in!

Worth noting that every one of the teenage purchases was made before the price boom.

(iii) when you reach sixty without a pre-CBS Strat, you can consider yourself immune...
What percentage of votes were placed in 2018?

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
The votes are in!

Yeah, good assessment notes, Michelotti. The drop from 36% to 29% in the age-decade of 20's v. decade of 30's stands to reason as family expenditures become the priority. I'm somewhat surprised to see the low numbers in the 40 and up range as that is when folks hit their professional stride and have more expendable income - I'm thinking of the lawyers, doctors and other executive professionals who learn a couple of blooze licks and then want an original Page or Hendrix type guitar. Then again, folks are also more serious about saving for retirement post 40. It would be good to see if results are any different with n >> 28, but vintage guitars are expensive and not many of us are buyin' 'em.

Ravenace

New Member!
To help me understand the dynamics of the market, I would be grateful for responses to this question :
What age were you, when you first bought a pre-CBS Strat ?
My answer : I was 35 years old.
I bought my first strat when I was 19 it is an original pre CBS 1964 L model strat I broke the bridge pickup twice first time bt mistake second time by stupidly lending it to a so called friend I just got it rewound & I hope it will outlast me this time

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
I bought my first strat when I was 19 it is an original pre CBS 1964 L model strat I broke the bridge pickup twice first time bt mistake second time by stupidly lending it to a so called friend I just got it rewound & I hope it will outlast me this time
Very nice! How long ago did you purchase that Strat?

kydave

New Member!
Oct 5, 2013
California
I was 28 in 1979 when I bought a POS 1962 Strat at a flea market for $50. It was just an old beat-up guitar in those days. By the end of the day (after checking the Strat with the PD and doing a 3 way horse trade) I had a brand new Dobro Model 60D-S squareneck. I'd gone out looking for a beater acoustic with a warped neck to learn Dobro licks on, so it worked out great.