USB Question(?s?)

Strat-Slinger

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 9, 2013
Somewhere in Space
Hey folks, I have a USB question... I'm not the most "Tech" savvy individual when it comes to computers, home recording and DAW's... I'm completely self-learned, so... I sincerely appreciate any help I can get in "Tech-Ville"

I made a purchase to get a longer USB cable for my home studio work space... My Mustang III v1 amp has become an integral part of my recording chain... I go into my PC with it and pipe it into my DAW (Abelton)...
I was happy to recieve the longer cable today as it will alleviate some logistical issues in my home studio setup.. but... the cable is different in one aspect to the original USB cable I've been using.. I have attached a picture which illustrates the difference much better than my limited Tech-Jargon will allow...
The question I have is this: Can I use this cable? I have no idea why this cable has the "Thing" in the middle of it that the original cable does NOT have🤔 If I use this cable will it potentially damage the amplifier or PC if used in place of the other?... It is a 2.0 USB cable but obviously a little different than the original...
Thanks in advance for any help/advice with this issue...
USBCable.jpg

Last edited:

Strat-Slinger

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 9, 2013
Somewhere in Space
Its just a ferrite bead ring.. Only job for those is to suppress noise
OK... I always see these on power cables for PC's and other digital gear like tablets, etc..... good to know it's for noise suppression!... thanks for the info
USB stands for Universal Serial Bus.

Wouldn’t be very universal if it fried one thing but not the other.

You’re good to go.
Cool... I'm a tad more "Tech Savvy" now... I appreciate it! @Fenderbaum and @crankmeister

Litforlife

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 26, 2021
Usa
Late to the party but fendebaum is right. It’s just ferrite magnet beads inside. It only helps with higher frequency’s. They mostly use them on thinner wire cheaper cables that have little to no shielding. It’s a get what you pay for thing.