Unexpected new "S" type body....now what????

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
I've not worked on this project for quite a while due to "throwing my back out"...ouch! Anyway, my goal is to use this body together with a Squier CV-60's neck and other parts that I have on hand to build a "natural/Amber" finish guitar. The body is a low cost, replacement- type that conforms to Strat dimensions (see above). When I got the body, I inspected it against a Fender Strat body detail drawing and found all features to be very close. I assumed that the CV neck would fit the neck pocket well, which it did but it was a little tight. A few clean ups on the body pocket fixed that so I thought I was home free. Nope! When I went to mount the neck, I found the neck mounting holes that were already drilled in the neck were about 1/8" off, putting the neck holes too far aft of the matching body holes which screwed-up the abiity move the neck to the proper forward position (it ran into the end of the body socket first) and to get the 25.5" scale requirement. It also screws up the pickguard interface and bridge placement. Measurements say every thing is correct, but assembly says otherwise. Something is off and I don't want to redrill the neck mounting holes or alter the neck pocket until I figure this out. Anybody ever have an experience like this? I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Boyd L

Strat-Talker
Jul 17, 2020
Appalachian Foothills
I've not worked on this project for quite a while due to "throwing my back out"...ouch! Anyway, my goal is to use this body together with a Squier CV-60's neck and other parts that I have on hand to build a "natural/Amber" finish guitar. The body is a low cost, replacement- type that conforms to Strat dimensions (see above). When I got the body, I inspected it against a Fender Strat body detail drawing and found all features to be very close. I assumed that the CV neck would fit the neck pocket well, which it did but it was a little tight. A few clean ups on the body pocket fixed that so I thought I was home free. Nope! When I went to mount the neck, I found the neck mounting holes that were already drilled in the neck were about 1/8" off, putting the neck holes too far aft of the matching body holes which screwed-up the abiity move the neck to the proper forward position (it ran into the end of the body socket first) and to get the 25.5" scale requirement. It also screws up the pickguard interface and bridge placement. Measurements say every thing is correct, but assembly says otherwise. Something is off and I don't want to redrill the neck mounting holes or alter the neck pocket until I figure this out. Anybody ever have an experience like this? I'm stumped.
When say the holes in the neck are too far aft the body holes, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Pictures would help.
The neck pocket isn't "deep" enough, as in, the bottom of the pocket needs to move toward the bridge for the scale to be correct? Assuming that is the case, what are your resources? The pocket bottom can be "deepened" provided you have access to the tools and understanding to use them. Or if there is an option to have someone skilled do it for you.
I once clamped a neck to a body (over the neck pocket) so I could get an accurate scale measurement for the shorter neck I was installing. Once that measurement was made the neck pocket adjustments were marked as was the new bridge location (hardtail, so it was simple).
Can you do the woodworking or do you have access to someone with the requisite skills/tools?

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
When say the holes in the neck are too far aft the body holes, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Pictures would help.
The neck pocket isn't "deep" enough, as in, the bottom of the pocket needs to move toward the bridge for the scale to be correct? Assuming that is the case, what are your resources? The pocket bottom can be "deepened" provided you have access to the tools and understanding to use them. Or if there is an option to have someone skilled do it for you.
I once clamped a neck to a body (over the neck pocket) so I could get an accurate scale measurement for the shorter neck I was installing. Once that measurement was made the neck pocket adjustments were marked as was the new bridge location (hardtail, so it was simple).
Can you do the woodworking or do you have access to someone with the requisite skills/tools?
I meant that the neck I am using was taken off of a brand new, Squire CV-60's so it has the standard 4-hole screw pattern for attachment to a fender-style body. When I tried to mount it to the "replacement body" that I am using, the screws would not match up or enter the neck holes. So I started measuring. The neck holes are about 1/8" "outboard" (aft) from the body holes when the neck is bottomed against the body pocket end. Since then and a lot more measuring, I've found that the body neck pocket is a dimensional mess...it's like they had a CNC hiccup when they were doing the neck pocket routing and hole drilling. I've tried a lot of tricks to get it to work, but am about to give up. I posted a thread about this problem over in the technical matters forum

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
Am about to start my first build so I look forward to following this post. I do remember reading ( probably here) that the CV neck will not line up with the American fender specs. A made in Mexico neck should.

Interesting looking pick guard. It's definitely different

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
I have finally "given up" on this project because of the endless problems with this body. Very disappointing, but it seems like everything I try to do to assemble the guitar becomes a nightmare due to body dimensional issues. I am going to use another body (genuine Fender) to continue a similar project that uses some of the parts I was going to use on this project and I'm sure this time things will go far more smoothly. Sometimes, you just have to say "Uncle" and move on. I will probably retain the original body and maybe, some day, get into actual dimensional repairs. But that is a low priority, future possibility.

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
That sucks! I got the roasted ash shell pink body from them and love it. But I did order an undrilled neck for the project...I've built so many guitars over the years that I've run into your problem before. I really prefer parts that have none of the holes drilled for this reason. Good luck! I hope it works out for you! Fwiw, you can get a really good, undrilled neck on ebay for around $150.

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
Saved by patience and one hell of a lot of dremel work, sanding, and recalculating of the necessary measurements. Anyway, I finally got this thing together!! I'm sure that some of you won't lke the final pickguard choice, but it really adds "pizzaz" when holding it and looking at it close up. I used a Mitey Mite "custom contour" neck, pups and electronics from a MIM Player (Alnico 5's), locking tuners, and pieces and parts from several bridges I had around here. I now call this thing my dowel & Titebond Special (LOL). Anyway, here's some pnotos of the finished product. It really is nice and plays like it should!

CIMG2081.JPG CIMG2084 (1).JPG CIMG2085.JPG CIMG2086 (1).JPG CIMG2081.JPG

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Saved by patience and one hell of a lot of dremel work, sanding, and recalculating of the necessary measurements. Anyway, I finally got this thing together!! I'm sure that some of you won't lke the final pickguard choice, but it really adds "pizzaz" when holding it and looking at it close up. I used a Mitey Mite "custom contour" neck, pups and electronics from a MIM Player (Alnico 5's), locking tuners, and pieces and parts from several bridges I had around here. I now call this thing my dowel & Titebond Special (LOL). Anyway, here's some pnotos of the finished product. It really is nice and plays like it should!

View attachment 594864 View attachment 594865 View attachment 594866 View attachment 594867 View attachment 594868
I like it! Nice job!

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
Gee, I forgot that I built another Squier Strat right after I "gave up" on the subject guitar...I was a little annoyed by the difficulties I had encountered and thought I'd just build something else out of all the parts I have laying aound. It turned out to be really nice axe with the Squier neck that I already had, and a brand new Squier body with all hardware that I found online. I asembled it with an HSS Player pickguard and it all went together with ease. An easy setup and like most CV Squiers, the fits and finishes are great. I'm not a big fan of sunburst finishes, but this body has the 3TSB and I had it playing in a couple of hours. Lesson learned...if you f something up just keep going! It will all come back to you and remind you of why you were building "the main prize" in the first place. And now I even have more guitars...You can never have too many???

CIMG2071.JPG CIMG2073.JPG CIMG2076.JPG CIMG2074.JPG