The difference is quite noticeable........American Vintage Re-Issues

American Vintage Re-Issues.........which one is the keeper?

• Total voters

StratoStrummer

Strat-Talker
Feb 26, 2021
Puglia
I
I have had an amazing Fiesta Red American Vintage Re-Issue since March last year and it's the only AVRI I have played until last week when my new American Vintage arrived.

A 'not so great' image is below of both guitars (I'll post another tomorrow in sunlight).

View attachment 571747

The reason for this post is due to how different I found these guitars to be in terms of both feel and sound.

There are of course some differences between the guitars.

The most obvious are maple versus rosewood necks

The other differences are the Fiesta Red has a Fullerton 82' neck on a 89' body.

The Sunburst is Fullerton all the way with a January 83' neck and a December 82' body.

The necks are both typical 82' V shape however the bodies are Fullerton and Corona so the shape is different.

I have read so many times that you have to 'play before you pay' and now I finally understand what that means.

Both of these guitars are so similar but after playing both its clear that one is a 'keeper'.

Let me know which one you think it is?
I don't like fake relic at all
I don't like sunburst too much
I don't like rosewood very much

I would keep the Red one but why not age the plastics? Just a little bit... Ok that's relic but I love it. Brown-yellow knobs and covers on a white pickguard!

Fiesta Red to the victory

Parksie

Strat-O-Master
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney
I

I don't like fake relic at all
I don't like sunburst too much
I don't like rosewood very much

I would keep the Red one but why not age the plastics? Just a little bit... Ok that's relic but I love it. Brown-yellow knobs and covers on a white pickguard!

Fiesta Red to the victory
I like relic guitars but that Sunburst one is possibly one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

Yep, I get it, I know its not perfect, but this 82' re-issue was sitting in a bedroom somewhere in Australia unloved and unappreciated.

At the end of the day, it's a piece of Fender history, it's now mine and I'm very happy to breath new life into it.

:thumb:

IMG_2459.jpeg IMG_2461.jpeg IMG_2457.jpeg

Last edited:

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
I wonder why they don't relic other new items? Cars, sofas, refrigerators, pianos and so forth?
Do they not though? I think you'll find lots of industries do this... take your 'sofas' for example - 'distressed' leather is an EXTREMELY popular type of covering on sofas. A quick Google Image search will bring up thousands of leather products that have been artificially 'distressed'.

chesterfield-tobacco-brown-leather-sofa.jpg

Speaking of leather products, 'distressed' leather Jackets have been a thing for YEARS, and nobody bats an eyelid.

GMP00297.P000647-90100-2

What about a 'distressed' handbag for the special lady in your life? https://www.etsy.com/listing/747245032/small-leather-crossbody-bag-distressed

il_570xN.2165467371_3zef.jpg

Ripped Jeans anyone? Here's an article from Vouge, apparently 'Ripped' and 'Distressed Jeans' are 'making a comeback'. https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/ripped-jeans-trend

bestrippedjeans.png

Furniture... people have been aging / distressing furniture for years:

"What is Rustic Wood?"

"Rustic wood or distressed wood is new wood that has been artificially distressed and/or weathered to make it appear old. Distressing techniques often include putting nail holes in the boards, creating circular saw marks to replicate vintage logging techniques, or adding a patina to the wood so that it looks like it has aged over decades of use. Distressed Rustic wooden boards tend to look similar in that the same distressing process is applied to all of them. This creates a uniform look across the wooden boards."

Xframe_1.jpg

And it's not just guitarists, fashionistas and homeowners that appreciate the appearence of age, it's watch collecters too – 'fauxtina' they call it:

IMG_8534.jpg

I could probably go on and on... but I think it suffices to say - some people (not just guitarists), appreciate the look of something that's been around for a while, and dropping $30,000 on an original Strat, $100,000 on an old Rolex, $50,000 on an original Chesterfield Sofa - is just not so... practical.

A fridge? I'll give you that one... I don't think people are into 'aged fridges', BUT – 'retro' fridges ARE a thing... why is that? Could it be becuase they 'look' cool perhaps? Is it OK to like things that 'look cool'? Is that NOT a good enough reason to like something? Could it be that some people see 'cool' in different things – like guitars, sofas, jeans, tables? And that that's OK? Wouldn't a world where we can all like different things, without casting aspersions on eachother - and judging eachother, be a better one? I think it would!!

I do think there is at least one thing we can ALL agree looks cool... SURF F***ING GREEN FRIDGE:

gm-c8bfe395-fcbe-49b7-b43b-0878cdbffe70-smeg-fab50.jpg

🙏 :)

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Do they not though? I think you'll find lots of industries do this... take your 'sofas' for example - 'distressed' leather is an EXTREMELY popular type of covering on sofas. A quick Google Image search will bring up thousands of leather products that have been artificially 'distressed'.

chesterfield-tobacco-brown-leather-sofa.jpg

Speaking of leather products, 'distressed' leather Jackets have been a thing for YEARS, and nobody bats an eyelid.

GMP00297.P000647-90100-2

What about a 'distressed' handbag for the special lady in your life? https://www.etsy.com/listing/747245032/small-leather-crossbody-bag-distressed

il_570xN.2165467371_3zef.jpg

Ripped Jeans anyone? Here's an article from Vouge, apparently 'Ripped' and 'Distressed Jeans' are 'making a comeback'. https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/ripped-jeans-trend

bestrippedjeans.png

Furniture... people have been aging / distressing furniture for years:

"What is Rustic Wood?"

"Rustic wood or distressed wood is new wood that has been artificially distressed and/or weathered to make it appear old. Distressing techniques often include putting nail holes in the boards, creating circular saw marks to replicate vintage logging techniques, or adding a patina to the wood so that it looks like it has aged over decades of use. Distressed Rustic wooden boards tend to look similar in that the same distressing process is applied to all of them. This creates a uniform look across the wooden boards."

Xframe_1.jpg

And it's not just guitarists, fashionistas and homeowners that appreciate the appearence of age, it's watch collecters too – 'fauxtina' they call it:

IMG_8534.jpg

I could probably go on and on... but I think it suffices to say - some people (not just guitarists), appreciate the look of something that's been around for a while, and dropping $30,000 on an original Strat, $100,000 on an old Rolex, $50,000 on an original Chesterfield Sofa - is just not so... practical.

A fridge? I'll give you that one... I don't think people are into 'aged fridges', BUT – 'retro' fridges ARE a thing... why is that? Could it be becuase they 'look' cool perhaps? Is it OK to like things that 'look cool'? Is that NOT a good enough reason to like something? Could it be that some people see 'cool' in different things – like guitars, sofas, jeans, tables? And that that's OK? Wouldn't a world where we can all like different things, without casting aspersions on eachother - and judging eachother, be a better one? I think it would!!

I do think there is at least one thing we can ALL agree looks cool... SURF F***ING GREEN FRIDGE:

gm-c8bfe395-fcbe-49b7-b43b-0878cdbffe70-smeg-fab50.jpg

🙏 :)

Yup, the art of aging something is not limited to guitars. Lots of people just don’t get it or actually open their eyes to look and see this “fad” as been around for a long time. Which is fine.

Most people that hate this fad I bet own a few pre worn band t-shirt though.

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
Yup, the art of aging something is not limited to guitars. Lots of people just don’t get it or actually open their eyes to look and see this “fad” as been around for a long time. Which is fine.

Most people that hate this fad I bet own a few pre worn band t-shirt though.
Just as you say that... 'the art of' – I'm reminded of this thread from a week or two back...

Incredible results, post number 7 I think...

Parksie

Strat-O-Master
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney
I have had an amazing Fiesta Red American Vintage Re-Issue since March last year and it's the only AVRI I have played until last week when my new American Vintage arrived.

A 'not so great' image is below of both guitars (I'll post another tomorrow in sunlight).

View attachment 571747

The reason for this post is due to how different I found these guitars to be in terms of both feel and sound.

There are of course some differences between the guitars.

The most obvious are maple versus rosewood necks

The other differences are the Fiesta Red has a Fullerton 82' neck on a 89' body.

The Sunburst is Fullerton all the way with a January 83' neck and a December 82' body.

The necks are both typical 82' V shape however the bodies are Fullerton and Corona so the shape is different.

I have read so many times that you have to 'play before you pay' and now I finally understand what that means.

Both of these guitars are so similar but after playing both its clear that one is a 'keeper'.

Let me know which one you think it is?

I've updated the image but cant seem to delete the original one?

IMG_2475.jpeg

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
This one is easy, Sell Both ! they are old, get a new one that's still shiny and purty

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
I wonder why they don't relic other new items? Cars, sofas, refrigerators, pianos and so forth?
They Do... Have you never gone to a scratch and dent store ? Insurance auto sales ? Piano's moved with weak ropes, sofa's on sale after customer tried it out with their "support Dog" ;):thumb:

Parksie

Strat-O-Master
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney
I took the 62' apart today as I'm sending the body over to MJT in the USA tomorrow to get the amateur relic fixed up and have been thinking about swapping the necks over.

So tonight I took the maple neck off my Corona Fiesta Red 89' body and put on the 82' Fullerton rosewood neck.

A fews pics are below.........

IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG

Last edited:

uncle daddy

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2020
UK