Terrified yet cannot wait to get back at it

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
Look up your local jam nights in your area and start going to them (several different ones), you'll get your feet back under you in a non pressure environment and meet other like people and possibly form something with them. It's a good starting point.
Also, check your local music store's bulletin boards and talk to their music teachers to see if any of their students fit the bill.
Most importantly, ENJOY!
This. Go out and get comfortable playing, and with what YOU want to do. And btw, not getting the gig is not a negative reflection on you. As you said, they were not what you expected either and it didn't sound like a good fit. Also, you seem to be handling and discussing this in a very classy manner, which also speaks to you being a great asset in the right band. Keep at it!

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
It is always hardest to fit in with a group that has been together for a while, especially if they have a particular niche of genre they cater to.

The experience is invaluable, though. The mere fact you stepped up to the plate and swung is invaluable.

I figure there are probably 10,000 bands out there, but maybe only 100 that I would fit in musically/personality wise.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Hey people ! I'm early 40's guy who's got a date with a new band as a tryout and I'm just terrified!

I haven't played with others since my early 20's and next wednesday I have a jam session with 3 other guy my age. I would be 2nd guitarist (rythm).
I don't consider myself a beginner but am an amateur and don't read music (only tab) I play mostly by hear. I think I'm good enough for their stuff but I'm just terribly anxious since it's been ages I've done this. I don't want to cancel cause I'm just so tired to play alone and want to play with other , but the wait is killing me and I just hope I won't dissapoint.

Just deciding what equipment to bring make my head turn. I've decided to keep it simple (small 15 watt amp with effect built-in (a Vox AD15vt 2-channel) with A/B pedal.

As for the guitar I will bring my trusty Godin SD( because it's the one I'm most familiar with) + guitar stand

Any tips for me to calm me down ? Any other tips ?

Thanks!
Have fun

Stormy Monday

Blooze daddy
Silver Member
Jan 19, 2011
almost gone
I've been jamming pretty much with the same guys for six or seven years now. All geezers, mix of skills. But no egos or expectations. About three or four times a year we'll play a private party. So search out people around you with the same aspirations and have fun. They are out there.