Suggest good sounding small bass combo

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
Ampeg.

Small but with plenty of beans. And they sound very good.

Every Hartke I ever encountered was not small.

If willing to go a touch bigger, a Bassman 10. Also very good sounding.

I've nothing nice to say about the rumble series.

Last edited:

Papa Che

Strat-O-Master
Mar 25, 2017
Denmark
Thanks folks! I was looking at Ampeg as well. I fancy having that overdrive however opted for the smaller size amp as I need it to be very easy to remove in an instant if my 1.5 yo son starts making a mess while I’m noodling.

Ordered yesterday the smallest Warwick BC10 combo. It’s 8” speaker, front port, silent cooling ventilator, no noise amp, built in limiter.

Will know more once I plug into it my Shorty P-bass. Will update (maybe start a new thread).

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
Current models:
Rumble 40 or Rumble 100.
Loud, good/deep bass response without being woofy or muddy, lightweight, reasonably priced.

I’ve thought about picking up one of the former as a rehearsal/jam session amp, if I found it really cheap.

My daughter has one of the old (previous generation) Rumble 150 amps…it is a very very good/almost great bass amp, and with a pedalboard in front of it, it’s a good guitar amp—“good” as in, “I would use this for a gig” good (I did use it as such for a jam session, and it very ably kept up with a five piece band and two singers)…however, the Rumble 150 is too big/bulky (size-wise) and heavy enough that it’s not readily portable (thank goodness for casters!).

Naigewron

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 31, 2020
Norway
Interesting no one is mentioning Hartke HD series? Or the Warwick combos? Are these that bad?
I had a Hartke HD500 for a while. Perfectly decent tone, but didn't deliver on its promise to my mind.

It was 250w (500w peak), but the two 10" speakers started bottoming out once the volume knob passed halfway. Definitely not usable in a band context, especially since it didn't have support for an extension cab either.

It would be perfectly workable as a home amp, but I would still probably look at the Rumble (like many others here).

Here's a really quick sound test I filmed when I first got the Hartke (using an MXR M80 for drive):

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Between a small Ampeg and a Fender combo with a 10" or 12" speaker I would choose the Ampeg every time.

But I will say that Fender has improved the Rumble Series over the years to the point where they don't simply suck like they did initially. That aside IMHO they are never gonna be great gigging amps in a full band setting. But for home or lower volume type gigs they can work OK.

One that I've owned that I didn't mention is the 75w Line 6 Studio LowDown 110. I've never been a fan of much of what Line 6 has produced but this little 12"x12" X12" bass cube sounds great. They're similar in size and quality to a Traynor SB10 and can be had used in the $125-$150 price range. I wish I had not sold the one I had. I prefer it to my current Rumble 40 home amp.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I have a Fender Rumble 150 (which is actually 200 watts). I got it new for $150.00 from GC when they were closing them out, around 2012 IIRC. It has 1 x 15 inch speaker. It is on casters as well. You can aLao directly line out to a PA, etc.

GC was blowing them out as Fender was revamping the line.

If you can find one at a decent price they are pretty good. Also the old Trace Elliott bass combos are a lot of bang for the buck.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I have a Marshall bass amp, it’s rather small and doesn’t weigh a ton, sounds pretty good. It has a modern and a vintage voice you can switch between, I really like the vintage one with my Höfner bass :)

Papa Che

Strat-O-Master
Mar 25, 2017
Denmark
Received my new tiny combo! Loads of lovely bottom end and it’s a silent amp. Sounds great in the home scenario! The louder the amp the better it sounds. I just crank it and then regulate volume with my bass guitar. Loads of clean low end. I keep the bass knob at 11 o’clock. I do crank the Treble all the way. Mids almost cut out completely. Very good EQ.
96B3EE63-085A-4CDD-9BF9-1070345B8FF4.jpeg

Handsome McClane

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Sep 6, 2020
Sacramento
Received my new tiny combo! Loads of lovely bottom end and it’s a silent amp. Sounds great in the home scenario! The louder the amp the better it sounds. I just crank it and then regulate volume with my bass guitar. Loads of clean low end. I keep the bass knob at 11 o’clock. I do crank the Treble all the way. Mids almost cut out completely. Very good EQ.
View attachment 618035
Nice! HNAD!

donnyrocker

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 9, 2011
Indiana USA
The Fender Rumble 40-watt combo is underpowered for even modest gigs. I ran the DI out of the back of amp into PA and intended to use the Rumble as my personal monitor... except I heard more out of the PA's monitor. At 60, I'm the youngest one in this dance band, so it wasn't like the 40 watts *had* to work hard, they just *couldn't* the job.

I have the 500-watt combo that does everything I need it to do, including outdoor gigs or basement rehearsals. I feel like the 100-watt version could have done that gig described above.

(Usually when playing bass, I go DI with either a Tech 21 or MXR or Ampeg interface, so 'ampless'...)

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Wasn't sure what you were looking to do with the combo (practice or play a smaller venue). I ended up getting a Hotone Thunder Bass 5W head. I already had a 1x12 with the full range speaker in it. The Hotone is "inspired" by a Ampeg SVT. The Pyle PVAMP60 is another amp that has a full range speaker in the open back combo & modding it to be a passive cab works with the Hotone bass head. Bass guitar is a 2019 Jackson JS1XM 28.6 short scale bass guitar. his video, they used a 4x10 Peavey cab. And since the head has an effects loop, With any of the amps I have I can use the Hotone as a preamp and bypass the Hotone's 5W power section and bypass the preamp on my tube amp head to use it's 15W of 2x 6V6GT. Even go into the Pyle's 60W analog solid state power section using the effects loop. Impressive that the Hotone is that versatile.

RavenPOL

Strat-Talker
Nov 24, 2022
Poland
View attachment 618035
Congratulations! Make some noise!