Show us your local shop.

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
Yeah, uh, well I had "my local guitar shop" here and there but pretty much all have shut down. Some really good shops including the chain called Daddys Junky Music which was my first guitar shop in the 1970s and finally shut all stores in maybe 2010.

Two of my former shops still exist though, Chelsea guitars by the Chelsea Hotel in NYC I bought and sold lots of gear at from I guess the mid 1980s to 1998.

Then a newer shop opened in Brooklyn in 1997 in a tiny store front near the L train station, so I offered my guitar tech services and worked on guitars behind the counter for like their first year.
That was great, they gave me $25 for a basic setup, I could talk to the customer in the morning and they couldpick it up that night.
The place has grown a lot and moved since then but this guy Karl was my boss, just a kid at the time.

Otherwise
RIP Cambridge Music in Cambridge
RIP Rock City Guitars in Somerville
RIP Mannys Music in NYC
RIP Mojo Guitars in NYC
RIP Daddys in Maine, NH, CT, MA, NY.
And I forget what all else now, or dont know if they still exist.

I don’t have any pictures of it, but have you ever been to Friendly River in Cornish? An excellent shop, if a bit out of the way, and John is great to deal with.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I don’t have any pictures of it, but have you ever been to Friendly River in Cornish? An excellent shop, if a bit out of the way, and John is great to deal with.
Hmmm, no I think I have been in Cornish but not seen that shop.
Buckdancers Choice in Portland I have shopped at a little, they have cool gear but I didnt feel at home there or enjoy the place, maybe just needed to spend more time there.
Places I liked we mostly all knew each other by name, which takes time.

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
Closest to me is a mall that's surrounded by a GC, a Sam Ash and a Music Go Round. There was a mom and pop store but they moved everything to their other location across town.

BuddhaFingas

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 16, 2019
Chino Hills, CA
Sadly, I don't really have one; there are two two small local music stores catering mostly to schoolkids' band-instrument needs, with maybe a dozen guitars on display between them.

And two each, Sam Ash and Guitar Center, each about 10-15 miles away.

And considering that I'm actually miles closer to both Fender Corona (5 miles from the house), and G&L on Fender Av in Fullerton (2 miles from the office), and only a rock-through from Rickenbacker HQ in Santa Ana, NONE of which do showroom sales, the lack of good local guitar stores is an embarrassment.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Closest to me is a mall that's surrounded by a GC, a Sam Ash and a Music Go Round. There was a mom and pop store but they moved everything to their other location across town.
I recently bought a hard to find Frost Bite flanger from a Music Go Round in Greenfield, seemed like cool decent people. Getting it tomorrow...

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
With my sight, I have enough trouble getting to them, without taking pictures...
My three favourites are The Little Guitar Shop, Guitarguitar and Fairdeal Music.
Other stores are available in the area.

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
there used to be one at the end of my road, RIP. Next closest is 10 minute drive away, guitar village in Farnham.

I didn’t take these, but this is it.

7CAE5E19-716F-46F1-B30D-D525591F4BB9.jpeg DF6431BB-0076-4A3A-A008-B4396E482948.jpeg E024E0B1-295C-4924-9DFC-623D8A4C71AC.jpeg

It’s INSANE to walk around, the more floors you go up the more expensive the guitars get.

And the ones behind that glass divide are normally just a private collection of rare vintage guitars. Occasionally a couple will be for sale, although it looks like they’re all for sale in that photo

I’ve been relatively local to it my entire life so I’ve obviously known about it for ever but I believe guitar village is a bit of a legend in the UK.

The one that used to be at the end of my road was also a big deal in the 70s and 80s apparently, dealing with some big names on the reg.

This is it now
1FF3F080-4CFA-40A2-AEE9-EF8C82780E07.jpeg

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
This one isn’t a little local place, but I wouldn't mind making the trip to Miami just to go there. I got a Vintera ‘50s Tele Modified from them online, and they threw in a free t shirt.
When Tyler, from Music is Win, visited one guitar store in each state, this was his Florida stop.
2830DF42-467D-4424-A2FA-A82D34EB7FD9.jpeg
23F4D056-51A1-4BA6-A409-7CD8150838C8.jpeg 36155756-353F-4A70-B464-C003993350EB.jpeg

Last edited:

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
Hmmm, no I think I have been in Cornish but not seen that shop.
Buckdancers Choice in Portland I have shopped at a little, they have cool gear but I didnt feel at home there or enjoy the place, maybe just needed to spend more time there.
Places I liked we mostly all knew each other by name, which takes time.

Yeah I liked Buckdancer's a lot when I was going in there regularly in the '90s, but lately when I go in (much less frequently) it feels a little frosty.

Friendly River is definitely worth a visit, it's just off Route 25 in a big barn attached to the owner's house.

Stone

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
Don't really have a Local, Closest is Long & Mcwait about 98 Km away , besides music stores closest to me never have anything i want
So i shop on the web (including Amazon) for whoever has what i want in stock with free shipping and some sort of return policy been working out great for the las 2.5 years