Shielding - what a PIA

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Takes one shielding job to realize how sharp copper shielding tape can be. Ouch.
Ahyup. Scalpel sharp it seems. At least there are genuine antiseptic properties in copper.

That Tommy Copper and the like marketing garbage is worthless. May as well gaze into some crystals. Bark at the moon...

fuksman

Strat-Talker
Jan 9, 2022
USA
That’s pretty OCD.
Is that blue cube a fine adjustment rheostat?
it's trim pot to dial in resistance values without swapping resistors. this is a custom harness made for me by my man Sean of Gunstreet wiring shop in Portland. he's awesome.

the copper pattern is decorative, actually, and the pickguard is clear. it's for kind of a Mary Kaye tribute thing i'm putting together. i'll show you when it's ready.

Audiowonderland

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 19, 2020
Usa
I’m just so used to doing it that I don’t know if it really makes that much of a difference. This 2” copper I found on Amazon is easier than using the flat sheets I was buying, but it still takes a while. I’m going to add a couple layers to see if it makes a difference.
More will not make any difference.. Ask me how I know... LOL.. I will tell you..

Many moons and much less knowledge ago in the days early DAW's, CRT monitors put out insane amounts of noise. I went on a quest to build the quietest strat I could with legit single coils. to record inthat environment. I put 4-5 coats of Stewmac shielding paint down and covered that with copper foil. I also covered the entire underside of pickguard with copper tape as well and went to great pains to make sure everything was properly grounded etc. I did paint and tape thinking that the different material might be more effective at blocking different things.

Overall it worked well. I had to turn the pickups perpendicular to the screen but it was then quiet. As I learned more and tried more things I discovered that the same result could be had with tape or paint. It was not necessary to go the extra 15 miles.

dilver

Strat-Talker
Jan 22, 2009
nj
More will not make any difference.. Ask me how I know... LOL.. I will tell you..

Many moons and much less knowledge ago in the days early DAW's, CRT monitors put out insane amounts of noise. I went on a quest to build the quietest strat I could with legit single coils. to record inthat environment. I put 4-5 coats of Stewmac shielding paint down and covered that with copper foil. I also covered the entire underside of pickguard with copper tape as well and went to great pains to make sure everything was properly grounded etc. I did paint and tape thinking that the different material might be more effective at blocking different things.

Overall it worked well. I had to turn the pickups perpendicular to the screen but it was then quiet. As I learned more and tried more things I discovered that the same result could be had with tape or paint. It was not necessary to go the extra 15 miles.
Thanks, everyone. I did a couple of extra strips just to make sure my seams were covered - I wasn’t doing layers for thickness Expecting a better result. It is quiet if I sit at the right angle in relation to my amp. Didn’t expect a whole lot out of the shielding TBH. It’s just my OCD and I’ve always done it, so it’s habit when I do a new build. Certainly didn’t expect 3 pages of comments on my ”what a PIA” post…

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX

I had a flat in Scotchland where the microwave was so badly shielded it stopped the satellite receiver from working.

I think I glowed in the dark for about two years after I moved out...

lreese

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 21, 2009
Southeast US
There's conductive tape if you don't want to deal with sharp copper foil. I've used it several times. Works well, IMO.

Something like this:

s-l500.jpg

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
I wonder why body cavity shielding like this isn't standard on more (or any) electric guitars? I haven't seen any that come with this kind of shielding anyway..