Reverse jack plate?

Mr. Lumbergh

needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.
Jan 10, 2014
Initech, Inc.
On what? Stand? I find it completely out of the way on the edge except when sitting on the stand, but I usually unplug anyway.
Totally out of the way, except if you want to sit on anything wider than a stool. Or play in tight quarters where the edge-mounted jack positions the cable to snag on things, such as the drum kit.
I didn't used to like the front-mounted recessed jack on a Strat either, but since getting a Strat and playing it alongside my other guitars with edge-mount jacks I understand the simple brilliance of it, and think that's one of the cooler features that set it apart.

iambetacloud

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 29, 2011
United States
i think the whole reason behind the recessed jack was a functional decision.
to keep the cable out of the way because there's so much going on in a small space on the lower end of a strat, ie; closely spaced knobs, tremolo, bridge pup.
but hey, if it works for you- hell yeah!

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
Totally out of the way, except if you want to sit on anything wider than a stool. Or play in tight quarters where the edge-mounted jack positions the cable to snag on things, such as the drum kit.
I didn't used to like the front-mounted recessed jack on a Strat either, but since getting a Strat and playing it alongside my other guitars with edge-mount jacks I understand the simple brilliance of it, and think that's one of the cooler features that set it apart.

I agree. Which is why it's very strange that Leo never used it again on any of his other instruments. Not even the "premium models" in the range, the JM & Jag, both of which sold for a fair bit more than a Strat.

Dalendl

Strat-Talker
Jan 2, 2016
NW Mn
The transmitter on my wireless system plugs directly into the guitar with a right angle plug. I had to reverse the jack plate in order for it to work. Sometimes you need function over style.

jaybones

Dr. Stratster
Mar 17, 2014
Kelleys Island, Ohio
Looks like the guitar has a pimple.
The recessed jack plate is one of the cool, thoughtful things about the Strat's design that I like. You're less likely to jam the cable into things, it's out of the way when you sit and are plugged in, the angle is just right for passing through the strap over the button without that big loop to snag stuff. It's the feature that really makes the Strat excel above Lesters or even my beloved Teles for just flopping out on the couch or bed with.

Their body-edge jack plates can really be a PITA.

I was thinking more like a hernia.

And my favorite cable is a right angle coiled cable. The distance between the jack and the first coil is perfect for tucking through my strap. Looks very clean and tidy from the front, almost like there's no cable there at all.

And the angle jack is the perfect size to fit into the jack plate. Metal, and can barely slip a business card all the way around the plug. Give it an extra measure off security, that not all the force is on the 1/4" mono jack.

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
On what? Stand? I find it completely out of the way on the edge except when sitting on the stand, but I usually unplug anyway.
I am always conscious of the jack on the archtop I play whether standing or seated...it's an edge type...and now that I think about it, I am always a little uncomfortable with the idea of smacking it on something. Conversely I have never given it a thought while playing a Strat.

But the reverse mounting...? Looks oddly...what...sexual...? And not in a good way. Like I am looking at its privates uninvited or something. But hey! Whatever floats your boat...I don't judge.

RW74_Valiant

New Member!
Jun 23, 2022
Birmingham
Every single guitar I buy, I flip the jack plate. I can't stand trying to clean the recess out and I don't like how it looks recessed.

The one, pictured, I found with a Spider 3 amp.

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_212855179.jpg
    IMG_20220622_212855179.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 13

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
Is this like asking that if you're born with an "inny" would you prefer to have it surgically altered to an "outty"?

The very idea is blasphemous. We should not alter what God or Leo Fender hath predestined. ;)

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
I was flipping through a stratocaster coffee table book the other day, I read a couple pages that were devoted to Randy Bachman and his strats. He made mention of reversing the jack plate to an outy. I had never heard of that before so I gave it try, and I think I'm leaving it that way.
I'm curious Does anybody else reverse their jack plates?

View attachment 168956
I like that...