Retiring still in process.

LedZepconcertvet

Strat-O-Master
Jan 23, 2022
Sinks Grove, WV
Well, honestly, I kind of expected it to be this way...

My last day of work was November 18th and I am still doing stuff related to my retirement.

The earliest that I think I might have a good idea how all the stuff works out would be mid February. It's ridiculous.
It is. With the Medicare and the SSA, and the 401K, etc., it's more than I had bargained for. Getting my 401K into my personal aggressive growth fund, and the $7000 limit per year on my IRA, that was the most aggravating. The different companies, phone numbers, contacts, account numbers, department names, telephone appointments, letters, forms, faxes. I have half an organizer full of it all. Sheesh!

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
It is. With the Medicare and the SSA, and the 401K, etc., it's more than I had bargained for. Getting my 401K into my personal aggressive growth fund, and the $7000 limit per year on my IRA, that was the most aggravating. The different companies, phone numbers, contacts, account numbers, department names, telephone appointments, letters, forms, faxes. I have half an organizer full of it all. Sheesh!
I am not old enough to be dealing with Medicare and Social Security but I have plenty to deal with. Just taking a lot of time and effort.

Last edited:

GrooVey

Dr. Stratster
Nov 17, 2016
WV. USA
They don't make it easy.

Oh yeah. If you haven't heard.

Check your Zip Code.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

stormsedge

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
East Tennessee, USA
Military retirement here. The "last thing" paperwork-wise for me was with the VA. That resolved almost exactly one year to the day after I filed...so I cannot kick about it. I didn't do Medicare/SS until several years after when my age caught up. BUT, in my mind I wasn't retired until a year or so ago...~8 years after the final salute. It doesn't suck.

Hang in, it gets better.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
Sorry to hear that Brad - mine went really smooth and quick. Fidelity handled all of our insurance/benefits and our 401ks, so I just dealt through them. Doing the whole DocuSign thing in steps to be able to collect my early retirement package was a bit of a pain. Benefits were pretty easy, but because I only had 20 years of service, my price for them went up over 100%, but I expected that. I also had a bit of pain rolling over some different 401k's, pensions, and IRAs. Caused a big PITA for taxes for 2021 as far as complexity.

I have only been retired for 22 months, but will likely be going back to work in January - I still have 4 more years until I can collect SS and good paying opportunities will be harder and harder to find as I get older. Plus - I really need a 1073 mic pre, Shure SM7B, new roof, and a new truck before I hang it up for good. Goofing off all day is kind of nice though.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sorry to hear that Brad - mine went really smooth and quick. Fidelity handled all of our insurance/benefits and our 401ks, so I just dealt through them. Doing the whole DocuSign thing in steps to be able to collect my early retirement package was a bit of a pain. Benefits were pretty easy, but because I only had 20 years of service, my price for them went up over 100%, but I expected that. I also had a bit of pain rolling over some different 401k's, pensions, and IRAs. Caused a big PITA for taxes for 2021 as far as complexity.

I have only been retired for 22 months, but will likely be going back to work in January - I still have 4 more years until I can collect SS and good paying opportunities will be harder and harder to find as I get older. Plus - I really need a 1073 mic pre, Shure SM7B, new roof, and a new truck before I hang it up for good. Goofing off all day is kind of nice though.
The part with Fidelity seems to be going smoothly it's the other parts that are getting confusing. I have studying to do and crossing my fingers that I have been doing the stuff correctly.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 13, 2020
Tir-na Nog'th
When my mother died two years ago, the hardest part of dealing with her small estate was the government agencies, SS, IRS, Medicare, etc. It took TWO FULL YEARS to convice the IRS that I really was her son, and that she was really DEAD.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
You all are scaring me about this retirement stuff.
Don't do it - work until you die - much easier to do........... Honestly the biggest thing I think about in retirement is the lack of a steady paycheck - my monthly pension is 90% less than my monthly pay was. You have what you have and you have to make it work until you die (or rob bank and get rich or go to jail and get free stuff) - don't pull the trigger if you aren't ready. In my case I am just a greedy bastard, so I plan to unretire for a few years and make use of my brain a bit more.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Don't do it - work until you die - much easier to do........... Honestly the biggest thing I think about in retirement is the lack of a steady paycheck - my monthly pension is 90% less than my monthly pay was. You have what you have and you have to make it work until you die (or rob bank and get rich or go to jail and get free stuff) - don't pull the trigger if you aren't ready. In my case I am just a greedy bastard, so I plan to unretire for a few years and make use of my brain a bit more.
About 20% for me. Looked over the latest papers and it's pretty good news regarding some costs for benefits.

It may come as a shock but I am good at guitar/singer stuff. Might just have to cultivate some connections and play for a bit of money.

rcole_sooner

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
My retirement always seems to be 5 years away. My initial plan was 50. This is my last year in my 50s, and retirement is still 5 years away.

At least my new job is a lot more satisfying than my previous, so the 5 years won't be that bad.

I got nuthin' to complain about, really. Still enjoying the journey along the way.

Engine Swap

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 23, 2019
Chicago
We went through a reorg in September that got me seriously working on a timeline for retirement.

I save like a madman and live well within my means. The biggest hurtle is insurance. Need to wait for my wife to catch a full-time gig with benefits if I want to retire early.

In the meantime, I’m making lists of what I’d like to do in retirement and a strategy to keep socially active. Lots of little details to figure out.