Relic Nitro Neck Gloss or Semi-Gloss?

Clbraddock

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 6, 2022
Usa
I'm getting ready to try my hand at spraying a neck. I watched this video (among others):

In the video the guy does the base coat as clear gloss, then the tint coat is aged clear, then he does the final coats in semi-gloss clear. I how his neck turned out. Is this the way to go for a relic neck or should I just do gloss again for the final coats and then use 0000 steel wool or something like that to knock the gloss down?

It doesn't look like Stewmac or Reranch make a semi-gloss. I don't want to use deft like in the video since that may take forever to cure. It looks like Minwax makes a semi-gloss though, so I could use that for the final coats if thats the best course.

Thanks for any help!!

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Seems like a lot of paint to and steps for a neck if you’re going to knock the gloss off. I’ve sprayed a fell maple necks now. Both I had sanded up to 1500 grit and then thoroughly cleaned.

One I used aged amber and the other I sprayed in aged clear. I just sprayed 5 light coats per hour per day until there was enough to seal the grain which is fairly tight anyway if maple. I think it was 15 light coats. Orange peel look but once I sanded and polished it was perfectly flat and high gloss.

I wouldn’t mix brands if you’re doing what the video suggest. You could be 90% done and open a different brand clear or semi gloss and it could react in a bad way.

JohnTheJohn

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 10, 2022
Philadelphia
I'm getting ready to try my hand at spraying a neck. I watched this video (among others):

In the video the guy does the base coat as clear gloss, then the tint coat is aged clear, then he does the final coats in semi-gloss clear. I how his neck turned out. Is this the way to go for a relic neck or should I just do gloss again for the final coats and then use 0000 steel wool or something like that to knock the gloss down?

It doesn't look like Stewmac or Reranch make a semi-gloss. I don't want to use deft like in the video since that may take forever to cure. It looks like Minwax makes a semi-gloss though, so I could use that for the final coats if thats the best course.

Thanks for any help!!

Good luck man, how did you get started? Just chose random youtube videos? I'm kind of in an info gathering phase of doing a tele parts caster, and I want to refinish myself.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually just tried to watch the video, just yapped the whole and I’m not sure I’d follow what he did. He wasn’t even sure what he was doing.

Here’s a nitro spray can of aged clear onto prepped maple sanded to 1500. Sprayed properly 10-15 light coats. It’s got some orange peel but that’s expected. It’s in the cure process right now and I’ll wet sand and polish in a few weeks. I didn’t do 3 different sprays type or different glosses. 0DA44B7D-0C03-4508-A1B4-DB11530AA628.jpeg 36562817-610C-4935-97B1-47FE87C90D29.jpeg D50B7A71-E516-46D2-9571-5AE1F21ABD97.jpeg 0E0078FF-9395-4D2B-861E-383DAF694633.jpeg 9D4D1DCA-D6A1-496D-B36D-876964B4E4AF.jpeg B2D7D2C1-A2C0-4581-B405-0CC900260D9B.jpeg

Then a roasted maple neck that I used dark amber tint nitro high gloss. Same process as before. 1 can and not 3 different cans and types of clear. This one had the same orange peel. After the 3 week dry time it got wet sanded and polished to a high gloss.

This was before wet sanding
4B45FED6-FA1C-4AF8-8FD7-66B8A3FE97DA.jpeg

This is after
9380B2D4-CC7B-4A2C-A0B7-CB768E353D38.jpeg
8E68B032-194D-4CE7-A3B2-17F52E7481CF.jpeg

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM

Thanks for any help!!

There is virtually no difference between gloss and semi gloss. Stay away from both deft and minwax for authentic refinishing. Stay with one brand of lacquer for the entire process. We use vinyl sealer for the base coat then a clear wash coat before the color is applied. Then we build up the clear coat, sanding between every three coats with 320 until the finish surface is perfectly smooth. Next we spray 2 final clear coats before wet sanding with 1200 and soapy water. Finally we buff it out with Novus #2 polishing compound.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
I actually just tried to watch the video, just yapped the whole and I’m not sure I’d follow what he did. He wasn’t even sure what he was doing.

Here’s a nitro spray can of aged clear onto prepped maple sanded to 1500. Sprayed properly 10-15 light coats. It’s got some orange peel but that’s expected. It’s in the cure process right now and I’ll wet sand and polish in a few weeks. I didn’t do 3 different sprays type or different glosses. View attachment 594125 View attachment 594126 View attachment 594127 View attachment 594128 View attachment 594129 View attachment 594130

Then a roasted maple neck that I used dark amber tint nitro high gloss. Same process as before. 1 can and not 3 different cans and types of clear. This one had the same orange peel. After the 3 week dry time it got wet sanded and polished to a high gloss.

This was before wet sanding
View attachment 594133

This is after
View attachment 594132
View attachment 594134
The finish looks good, but I’m not crazy about the brown color.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
You and me both!!! I wanted to strip it back and just use the aged clear but ended up selling the neck first. Sanding between the frets was a nightmare to do and actually polish to a high gloss. Never again. View attachment 594140
I’ve sanded between the frets a million times. I have a process that is easy and gives great results. I’ve never done a refret where I didn’t sand and dress the fingerboard as part of the refret. It makes the fingerboard feel like new again.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ve sanded between the frets a million times. I have a process that is easy and gives great results. I’ve never done a refret where I didn’t sand and dress the fingerboard as part of the refret. It makes the fingerboard feel like new again.

Once I figured out a process I guess it wasn’t so bad but this was my first and probably last 1 piece maple neck refinish. I mean if I come across one that’s unfinished at a crazy price then I’ll grab it.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Once I figured out a process I guess it wasn’t so bad but this was my first and probably last 1 piece maple neck refinish. I mean if I come across one that’s unfinished at a crazy price then I’ll grab it.
I’m pretty good at finishing, so doing a maple neck is usually a piece of cake for me.

I can do a full neck finish in one day if I have to. However,I prefer to take 2-3 days so the finish can cure a bit between coats which gives a better final result.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m pretty good at finishing, so doing a maple neck is usually a piece of cake for me.

I can do a full neck finish in one day if I have to. However,I prefer to take 2-3 days so the finish can cure a bit between coats which gives a better final result.

That’s what I did with these necks. I can’t remember the exact coats but it was light 4-5 every other day for the week. The nitro rattle can makes it really easy to spray. A few minor runs but once wet sanded it was gone.

Clbraddock

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 6, 2022
Usa
There is virtually no difference between gloss and semi gloss. Stay away from both deft and minwax for authentic refinishing. Stay with one brand of lacquer for the entire process. We use vinyl sealer for the base coat then a clear wash coat before the color is applied. Then we build up the clear coat, sanding between every three coats with 320 until the finish surface is perfectly smooth. Next we spray 2 final clear coats before wet sanding with 1200 and soapy water. Finally we buff it out with Novus #2 polishing compound.

Thank you for the detailed reply! Want to make sure I understand. You use vinyl sealer for maple necks (not just for bodies)? Do you sand before the vinyl sealer? Is the clear "wash coat" just mean clear gloss or clear satin nitro or is it something different? If I want a more aged not super glossy look should I just skip the Novus #2 and instead maybe used some 0000 steel wool to dull it?

Its a musikraft neck, so I'm assuming the quality is good. Was also assuming I didn't need to sand before applying initial coats, but now im not sure.

Clbraddock

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 6, 2022
Usa
Good luck man, how did you get started? Just chose random youtube videos? I'm kind of in an info gathering phase of doing a tele parts caster, and I want to refinish myself.

Yeah basically just watching a lot of videos. Kind of a crap shoot though, since they are all a little different in what they suggest.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
That’s what I did with these necks. I can’t remember the exact coats but it was light 4-5 every other day for the week. The nitro rattle can makes it really easy to spray. A few minor runs but once wet sanded it was gone.
There is no need to spray every other day. You can put up to 8 coats with three sanding stages in one day. Wait 40 min between coats.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Thank you for the detailed reply! Want to make sure I understand. You use vinyl sealer for maple necks (not just for bodies)? Do you sand before the vinyl sealer? Is the clear "wash coat" just mean clear gloss or clear satin nitro or is it something different? If I want a more aged not super glossy look should I just skip the Novus #2 and instead maybe used some 0000 steel wool to dull it?

Its a musikraft neck, so I'm assuming the quality is good. Was also assuming I didn't need to sand before applying initial coats, but now im not sure.
I sand the wood with 320 before I spray the vinyl sealer coat. The clear “wash” coat is just to add another sealer coat that is lacquer so it will bind to the next coats. If it is a Fender neck, I usually put the amber coat next. Depending on the look I want I will use more or less amber tint to create the aged look I’m going for.

After the amber coat I begin to build up the clear top coats. Every 40 minutes spray a clear coat. After 5 coats I sand the lacquer with 320 then I add 3 or 4 more coats. By now I can usually do a final sand. Finally I spray two final coats of clear. If it is a maple fingerboard I will sand the lacquer off the tops of the frets with 320 after every two coats Trying not to sand the rest of the neck too much until it’s time to sand the whole thing.

after the 2 final coats I let it cure a couple of days then wet sand and polish it out with no es #2. If the back of the neck is too glossy you can buff with steel wool, or use flat lacquer for the final coat and then skip all the wet sanding and buffing.

Latest posts