Radio's dead

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Gormenghast
I only listen to one local jazz station, but their political stance is getting hard to take. When I was a young lad I had an old 3-band Philco tube radio, AM, SW1, SW2. In addition to keeping my bedroom warm, it led me to the wonders of Radio Free Europe, daily news from South Africa, and Dr. Demento on Sunday evening. It's been downhill for the last 55 years.

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
i listen to the radio everyday - none of the people making it sound dead or dying. internet radio from around the world is awesome... people just like to mouth off about **** - hence fora.
Couldn't agree more.

I listen to the radio a lot. It's always on in the car too.

I can't be bothered with all of this streaming stuff and shockingly I also own and play CD's too!

BBC radio over here has no ads and you'll sometimes get some really good plays broadcast as well.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
USA
I’m torn about this.

I don’t miss FM radio. Haven’t listened to it for nigh a decade. Obnoxious DJs, same play loops all day, monopolized air waves, no innovation in music, too many ads, static, and range limited by distance and geography.

Internet and satellite radio are awesome.

But internet and satellite are unregulated by the FCC. There’s a bare minimum of kid/family friendly stations there. I have young kids, and I just realized a few months ago that they are definitely lacking that commonality that we had growing up: a shared experience of hearing a lot of the same music wrapped up in the local flare of a nearby FM station while protected from nefarious content by the FCC.

It’s a great example of postmodern fragmentation.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
I like streaming Spotify.
And sometimes youtube videos.
On FM in the car I listen to classical music.
I still stream in some of my cars.
I believe the video killed the radio star but Rammstein makes me laugh.

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
Hmmmm... As a means of communication in case of major disasters that impacts infrastructure, FM radio is still most relevant. It is the only means of communication that can reach people over large areas, using fairly simple transmitters and battery operated receivers.

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
I only listen to one local jazz station, but their political stance is getting hard to take. When I was a young lad I had an old 3-band Philco tube radio, AM, SW1, SW2. In addition to keeping my bedroom warm, it led me to the wonders of Radio Free Europe, daily news from South Africa, and Dr. Demento on Sunday evening. It's been downhill for the last 55 years.
That's strange. I've lived several places over the years and the local jazz stations always were on the correct side as far as their political bias...

Oh.

Nevermind.

I still use the radio in my car but I rarely listen to music on it. I also use Alexa to listen to old stations from places I no longer live from time to time. There have never been more radio stations than there is today. Radio may be dead to some of you, but it is very much alive. Cable TV, on the other hand...

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B
Radio was killed by the same thing that's killing innovation in all marketplaces - uncontrolled market concentration and monopolies. Currently, six corporations control 90% of the print and broadcast media in the US (which includes radio). Nobody should be surprised that choice and variety are no longer to be found on the FM dial.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I miss radio and creative disk jockeys. Back in the day, there were SO many stations featuring every genre of music, some from far away cities, especially at night.

I have a couple of battery powered radios around for use when the power goes out.

TV has been dead longer than radio....