Practice Bass amp for kids out of an old home theatre set up?

Bergs2

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 18, 2022
UK
Guys -

experimenting with some 'bargain build' stuff to try to get a workable band set up for my three kids, with minimal outlay.

Anyhows -

have an old phillips home theatre system (HTS6600) and want to convert the sub into a bass amp for my young son.

Trouble is, it's sort of dependant on the main unit for signal & controls and has a slighlty odd multi pin connector that hooks it up to the head unit.

Would i be bonkers to try to wire in a pot and use the amp circuitry? Anyone done somthing like this?

Want to show the kids that: a) not everything has to come from the shops/amazon b) to instill a little of the tinkering/building gene and show them that something that would otherwise have gone to the dump can not only be used, but also made into something else.

on a practical level - am I mad to try to convert this into a mini bass practice rig?

in my simple take - a phono to 6.4mm jack lead & some way of hot-wiring that connector would do it - but in the absence of any circuit diagrams there is no amp 'controller'...

What do you guys think? Feasible, or a dumbass idea?

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 07.19.12.png Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 07.19.00.png

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I think I might have seen something like this done on an audio forum once but I really can't remember. I love the idea though. It would be a can of worms for me because I don't know enough about electronics. I hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in and can help you out.

Bergs2

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 18, 2022
UK
Likewise here Geoff - i'm not going to do risk anything dangerous oboviously, but my electronics know how is basic - so am hoping for a leaned forum member to point me in the right direction 👍

Bergs2

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 18, 2022
UK
OK - so quick update here - have improvised a bit of a 'bodge' as we say in the UK.

In the fullness of time i'll convert the phono to a 6,4mm jack and find a way to get teh pre-amp integrated - but for literally half an hour on a sunday afternoon - not a bad result 👍 :)