Pilar Lopez and Abigail Ybarra and early fender pickups

tremelo68

New Member!
Jun 10, 2019
Boston, MA
Anyone recognize CA as initials and have any idea who that might be? 1965 Jazzmaster set

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpg
    IMG_5571.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5572.jpg
    IMG_5572.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
Ok so this is something I've Been interested in for a while now the whole early days of fender and in particular the heart of the guitar its pickups. I know A Y started in 56/57. But what happened when ,how long was Pilar doing it?.
Fender states Abi started winding in 68 after apprenticeship under Pilar . . .

Well seeing as Batman and Robin have participated in the resurrection of this thread, I thought I would add a little more on the other dynamic duo. Yes as has already been mentioned Pilar Lopez trained Abby back in the day, and years later Abby passed on her knowledge and skills to Josefina Campos.

However, Abby began winding pickups at Fender in 1958, and not '68 as mentioned in the original post (which may of course have been a typo). For the record, Abby shared all this information and a lot more about her career at Fender with me personally as I wrote a whole Chapter on her, so it's not something I grabbed from a third-party source.

Abby's long career at Fender began back in 1956, when the young Abigail Ybarra (by the way, Leo Fender used to call her "Gail" in those days because she didn't like the name Abigail) decided to go and look for a job with a relative. They both went to the Fullerton plant, and Abby got hired, but they didn't hire her cousin Corin. Abby was hired by George Fullerton, and she explained to me that at that time if you did get offered a job you were expected to start work immediately, “They just took me right back into the plant and told me what I was going to do right then and there.” A little more of her story is included on the page attached below for anyone who is interested. As it says in the first paragraph, while she started at Fender in 1956, she didn't begin winding pickups until 1958.

Ybarra and Campos Page 331.JPG

Last edited:

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
Interesting Story! Too sad that we cannot flip over to Page 332...
Yes the Chapter on Abby is 7 pages long (large A4 size) and encompasses pages 329 to 335. It's quite a short chapter compared to some in the book, but there is a lot of information about her in it. You can still buy the 340-page book if you want to read it all, as there are a few of the original 1,954 copies left, but I am not allowed to promote it here. In fact, I only returned to the forum recently after some years of absence now that the book is almost sold out, to avoid being reprimanded for advertising. :) I now just add any relevant information, when I see folks asking about topics or people that I have researched and interviewed in detail.

Last edited:

Latest posts