Picked me up a 59' AVRI

JohnTheJohn

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 10, 2022
Philadelphia
A few weeks ago I had a thread looking for Nitro finish advice. After digesting a ton of feedback I decided to spring on an AVRI 59 or 65 depending if a great deal came my way. As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait that long. It seemed like people love their AVRI's because no one is selling them at the usual online vendors. Then randomly I saw this sucker for 1600 within driving distance on Facebook. It's near Mint, the seller said he's only played it once or twice. When I asked him why he simply responded "I'm a tele guy", haha love that response. Feeling like a lucky bastard. I've only seen a couple of these pop up on Reverb, usually well above 2Gs.

I have some Lollar Blondes from my other Strat that I'm selling. What do you think, is it blasphemous to put Lollars in this over the 59 pick ups? Doesn't seem right to me.

Special thank you to InTune for helping me out.

Attachments

• IMG_3123 (1).jpg
    IMG_3123 (1).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3125 (1).jpg
    IMG_3125 (1).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 71

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey thanks and nice choice on the 59!! It looks great!! I rarely see these for sale but just recently there’s a AV 58 tele and AV 65 strat in shoreline gold with matching headstock. Both local and priced to sell.

Anyway I hope you enjoy that 59, if I could afford it I’d have every fender from that series.

AV59

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Awesome guitar and story. My experience from about 3 years ago is very similar. The seller bought entire AV line and decided he liked the Teles best, so he sold the others. I got his 59 AV Strat for $1500 and it was basically NOS.

As for the pickups, I’d give them a fair shake, maybe a few months before switching, but if you decide to switch, nothing wrong with that either. It’s your guitar, do with it what you like, whatever inspires you to play it.

Enjoy!

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
I would build all pickups you own into pickguards, build them all the way up, so only output and trem ground need to go to the jack.
it’s easy to swap, then play, record, critical listening, and find what works best for you.
the stock ones may be it, then again they may not.
I don’t get the keep it stock mentality, these do well in the market, yet they are not pre cbs investment guitars, and they never will be, they are just not that rare. And were produced and sold In far greater volume….they will never reach that place.
I say find the absolute best tone you can, with that guitar.
I have an AO, that went from great, yet with a pickup swap went to my number one, truly one of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned. don mare was helpful In recommending and winding up the pickups that took that guitar to another level. had I never done that I would have been happy with that guitar, however I am floored with that guitar now, try a few sets…I say…go for it.

JohnTheJohn

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 10, 2022
Philadelphia
I would build all pickups you own into pickguards, build them all the way up, so only output and trem ground need to go to the jack.
it’s easy to swap, then play, record, critical listening, and find what works best for you.
the stock ones may be it, then again they may not.
I don’t get the keep it stock mentality, these do well in the market, yet they are not pre cbs investment guitars, and they never will be, they are just not that rare. And were produced and sold In far greater volume….they will never reach that place.
I say find the absolute best tone you can, with that guitar.
I have an AO, that went from great, yet with a pickup swap went to my number one, truly one of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned. don mare was helpful In recommending and winding up the pickups that took that guitar to another level. had I never done that I would have been happy with that guitar, however I am floored with that guitar now, try a few sets…I say…go for it.
This is a great idea! This is exactly what I'm gonna do. I'm trying to work on my soldering and parts building so this will provide a way to easily switch out gear without damaging my guitar. (Almost ruined my last guitars electronics.)

Bluestrat83

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 17, 2016
Ecuador
Yeah! Love 59 AV had one in black (just parted with it)... really great guitars and yes try the lollars! Actually mine came with lollar special S which are more like a good texas special. HNGD!

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Congrats; that's a nice one! I'll echo the comments about living with the stock pickups for a few months, and if you decided to swap in the Lollars (which are great pickups) do them in their own pickguard so you can easily revert the AV '59 back to stock.

sonny wolf

Aug 7, 2009
austin texas
Nice score...those 59 reissues are lovely.I own a few and love them.I wouldn't mess with the pickups...the stock ones sound great and were reverse engineered from real ones when Fender launched the line.Save the Lollars for another guitar.The stock 59s have this great earthy 'brown' sound you typically hear in old vintage Strats of the era.

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
A few weeks ago I had a thread looking for Nitro finish advice. After digesting a ton of feedback I decided to spring on an AVRI 59 or 65 depending if a great deal came my way. As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait that long. It seemed like people love their AVRI's because no one is selling them at the usual online vendors. Then randomly I saw this sucker for 1600 within driving distance on Facebook. It's near Mint, the seller said he's only played it once or twice. When I asked him why he simply responded "I'm a tele guy", haha love that response. Feeling like a lucky bastard. I've only seen a couple of these pop up on Reverb, usually well above 2Gs.

I have some Lollar Blondes from my other Strat that I'm selling. What do you think, is it blasphemous to put Lollars in this over the 59 pick ups? Doesn't seem right to me.

Special thank you to InTune for helping me out.
That's a great one! But understand, it is a '59 AV and not AVRI. The AVRI's came before 2012 and did not have the exacting detail such as the clay markers you have and the wax and oil cap under the pickguard - among other details. The AV's we're more a continuation of the original productions.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I use some Atheris modular pickguards that @Stephen James put together for me in just that fashion. Makes swapping out a 5 minute thing. Also allows you to swap out different control configurations to mix and match those to different pickups.

Once you find "the" set and control configurations, you can wire that all up into a traditional pickguard and install it.