Years of Production:
1960 – 1963
Era: Brownface
Configuration: Combo
Controls: Brown forward facing w/ white screened labels, controls numbered 1-10
Knobs: Brown Round
Schematics Super 6G4 Super 6G4-A
Faceplate
  • Front: 6G4: Normal: In, In, Bass, Treb, Vol – Bright: In, In, Bass, Treb, Vol, Speed, Intensity – Presense – Pilot Lamp ; 6G4-A: Normal: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass – Bright: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass, Speed, Intensity – Presense – Pilot Lamp
  • Rear: 6G4: Ground Sw, Fuse (3A), Power Sw, Standby Sw, Speaker Jack, Vibrato Jack
Cabinet
Covering Material
Logo: Grille mounted, flat, chrome & black script Fender
Weight: 47 lbs
Speaker
  • Size: 2 x 10
  • Impedance: 4 ohms (8 ohms each in parallel)
  • Model: Jensen P10R, Jensen P10Q or Oxford 10K5(For more info, check out the Jensen Replacement Speakers)
Effects: Vibrato
~Watts: 40 watts
Tubes
  • Pre amp: 7025
  • Power: 2 x 6L6GC (6G4), 2 x 5881 (6G4-A)
Bias: Fixed Bias, nonadjustable
Rectifier: GZ34

Overview 1963 Vibroverb- only about 600 brownface Vibroverbs were made
-Manufacture Date: early 1963
-Power Output: 35 Watts
-Tubes: 5AR4, 6L6 (2), 12AX7 (6)
-Controls: Volume, Treble, Bass | Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb | Speed, Intensity
-Dimensions: 25'' x 19.5'' x 9.5''
-Weight: 47 lbs

Cosmetics (see photos)
-original Tolex
-original grillcloth
-original handle
-original back panels
-tiny panel scratch near bright inuput
-minor panel discoloration from tape residue on right side

Electronics
-original speakers: 2-10" Oxford 10K5 (one has been re-coned)
-original transformers
-all original circuitry
-original power cord
-no footswitch

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
The Brown Super is an ass kicker. Perfect blend of tweed and brown. It cooks, especially with P10Q's.

Vibroverb is more BF sounding. Great amp... relatively rare.

steveokla

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2011
oklahoma
Thanks, that’s helpful. I gather the circuit was moving in the direction of BF in the VV?
Volume levels similar?

steveokla

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2011
oklahoma
Interesting! I’m currently “auditioning the Super (along with a brown Pro. I’ll likely keep the Pro in any event, as I’m among the smallish group that is is wedded to 15’s. Of course, it’s a different animal from either the the Super or VV.
Certainly impressed with the Super
so far,
I’ll have the VV Friday and will be be A/B’ing. Anxious to compare them and hear what your hearing!

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
Not sure about a 63, vv, but a 64,with evm 15” s especially two of them are insanely Loud, just to get even slightly to break up, I rarely use them anymore unless I have an isolation room.
and I refuse to hot plate vintage rca black plates……I only have a few spare sets left.
they do get rented for tracking Pedal steel, dead clean….and work well for that.
40 1960s, tube watts is very loud. Definitely not something I would use for a small group, unless it was at the Los angels coliseum or something…..

steveokla

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2011
oklahoma
64’s really loud to be sure! I’ve had two, one with the original CTS and one with the D130. The CTS was loud, but broke up more and much sooner than the one with the D130. As you say, the JBL version never gets much past a crunch, and by then, you’re frying chickens at 50 yards.

I kept the one with the D130, mostly because it’s dead stock and pretty pristine, but it’s useable only at low volumes, which means you’ve got to use pedals to get anything out of it. Smaller OT or not, both were louder than any Super Reverb I’ve had. It’ll be interesting to compare volume levels of the Super and 63 VV. The Super is not nearly as loud as my 64 with the JBL, but pretty loud. Don’t know how it would compare with the CTS version I had.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Apart from the obvious (one with reverb, one without, different trem), was wondering how they differ in tone, character, volume and such.
I never liked my tone through a super’s 10” speakers, so I’m pretty sure I would prefer the sound of the Vibroverb. My first gigging rig in my first real gigging band in 1974 was a 58 Jazzmaster through a brown Vibrolux.

steveokla

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2011
oklahoma
I never liked my tone through a super’s 10” speakers, so I’m pretty sure I would prefer the sound of the Vibroverb. My first gigging rig in my first real gigging band in 1974 was a 58 Jazzmaster through a brown Vibrolux.
I prefer the 64 VV over everything, truth be told. I should say I prefer 15’s over everything, specially, the D130f. That speaker just has something. I’ve got one is my 5E5B tweed Pro and Brown Pro: they’re killer. Those are pretty tone-specific, though (especially the tweed Pro), such that the 64 is arguably more versatile.

steveokla

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2011
oklahoma
Volume...no. Headroom before clipping is slightly better on the Vibroverb, for the reason I stated above. Put in a more efficient pair of speakers in either, like D110F's, and your headroom will increase.
Understood-that’s very useful.
I’d kill to find a pair of D110f’s! I’ve got D130’s in my Vibroverb and tweed Pro, and a D120f in my little Pro Jr. ltd. My favorite speakers for anything and everything.
Alas, I’ve been questing, advertising for D110’s for some time to no avail