open improv invite #2022-56 - Santana-esque Backing Track in Gm (2 minute solo)

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA
Thank you, @IsaiasO for taking the trouble. Sounds good fun.

It's very Dorian! If anyone's wondering what that means, try the scale patterns shown here but two frets down, so you're starting mon G, not A. https://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/modes/a-dorian-mode.html

Yup...I've been playing around with it and that's the mode I'm using (as I do with many "latin" style progressions), but as you said, in the key of G.
Here's the "G" Dorian scales from the same website: https://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/modes/g-dorian-mode.html

Thanks for posting that link, @simoncroft

Last edited:

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England

Seems like most of us on here think we could have done better, and are giving it a second shot. I know I feel that way about my take. If you fancy giving it a second shot @Relaxing at Cam, I highly recommend getting familiar with even just one position of the Dorian (minor) mode in G. There is so much mileage in that one scale, you'll find it pays you back over, and over, and over. It's like a cup of coffee you pay for once, but the waitress keeps refilling!

The black dot where it says 3 is low E string, third fret, therefore the lowest note of G. (I only mention this because I used to get confused looking at these diagrams and think maybe the low string would be at the top, like it was when I had the guitar in my hands. Believe me, I had little natural understanding of music, or co-ordination when it came to guitar playing. I just worked and worked at it, because I so wanted to be in a band.) :)

Screenshot 2022-10-02 at 00.32.04.png

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA
Seems like most of us on here think we could have done better, and are giving it a second shot. I know I feel that way about my take. If you fancy giving it a second shot @Relaxing at Cam, I highly recommend getting familiar with even just one position of the Dorian (minor) mode in G. There is so much mileage in that one scale, you'll find it pays you back over, and over, and over. It's like a cup of coffee you pay for once, but the waitress keeps refilling!

The black dot where it says 3 is low E string, third fret, therefore the lowest note of G. (I only mention this because I used to get confused looking at these diagrams and think maybe the low string would be at the top, like it was when I had the guitar in my hands. Believe me, I had little natural understanding of music, or co-ordination when it came to guitar playing. I just worked and worked at it, because I so wanted to be in a band.) :)

View attachment 596086

Great advice, @simoncroft - As I stated above, this scale in G-Dorian is exactly what I used for both of my takes with some supplemental excursions into the G Pentatonic scale and adding "blues" notes at approprite places as well.