Obvious conclusion

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Of course they don't. When a good cover band is playing a hit song from another band, the audience connects what the cover band is playing with the hundreds of times they have heard that fantastic times and melds it together with the fantastic production and the time they heard it on a fine audio setup and the time they saw the original band live. The originals are not going to evoke that response even if they are good.
You need to get out (of your locales mentality) more!
Culture, its found in places where the population is NOT THAT...

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
If bitter irony sticks out its because Im bitter about culture seemingly selling out to glib brainwashed consumerism like crackheads sucking the amazon pipe for one more hit

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
If bitter irony sticks out its because Im bitter about culture seemingly selling out to glib brainwashed consumerism like crackheads sucking the amazon pipe for one more hit
I love amazon.....but it does bug me that original interesting music is not an item of interest. I'm pretty happy that there is a scene here and if we were more agile we could gig a lot. It's logistics that keep us from gigging much. We were asked to do fill ins a couple of times but have been unable to do them due to real life stuff.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I‘ll take “Few gigs, small crowds, play dumps, little to no money = playing originals” Any day of the week.
Well, yeah. I'm just grumbling and a few of these things might be overcome to some degree. Starting the second year of this band and should be recording soon, new songs get us able to play a longer set and we can refine. There are a few venues that might pay some actual money.

jjaaam

Strat-Talker
Dec 2, 2021
Michigan
We’re 100% a cover band, but a lot of the same thought processes can be applied to lesser-known covers as with originals.

Occasionally someone in the band will suggest a song that’s fairly obscure. IMO, that’s a no-go, even if the song is good. The problem is the majority of the audience won’t know it, therefore they just…won’t…care. So I do my best to be diplomatic and steer away from those kinds of songs.

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
Well, yeah. I'm just grumbling and a few of these things might be overcome to some degree. Starting the second year of this band and should be recording soon, new songs get us able to play a longer set and we can refine. There are a few venues that might pay some actual money.
I use to make great money doing classic rock back in the day before it was called "Classic", but those were different times. When I first read the OP my mind went right to the smaller "listing room" type of acoustic gig, just me, an acoustic guitar and a mic, which is now my comfort zone. Not always finically great but expenses do get covered which is mostly gas, food and a libation. But I do love and truly miss the old days of kicking out some classic rock. I recently dusted off my old 1980 Strat (after 25 years) and found a cool Sunday night local open jam full of old geezers (and geezetes) with a mutal apprecation for the classics....Stones, Zep, Floyd......etc.

Last edited:

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I love amazon.....but it does bug me that original interesting music is not an item of interest. I'm pretty happy that there is a scene here and if we were more agile we could gig a lot. It's logistics that keep us from gigging much. We were asked to do fill ins a couple of times but have been unable to do them due to real life stuff.
I may be the fool on the hill but I see an obvious connection between corporate control missions to wipe out all other retailers and train consumers to love the company store unbranded Chinese crap products, corporate music marketing; and the gradual erosion of fonsumer curiosity.

There was a time when folks going out on a Saturday night actually liked checking out new bands playing unfamiliar music.
More so in the 60s, still some in the 70s, not totally dead in cultural centers in the 80s, and to some degree now anyone in anytown USA under 50 may not remember such times.
That has all but disappeared from most markets, but there are still pockets of CULTURE where consumers do not obey corporate marketing.

Less and less real culture in the US though as consumerism drills deep into the core values of us all.
By culture I basically mean interested in unfamiliar new arts and music, those who create new rather than copying/ regurgitating old.

What I hear you expressing is two things:
1) You ARE culture in creating new artist work.
2) You are struggling now between obeying the consumer masses or being true to yourself as an artist.

Culture is really pretty much dying off, we can see that in among other things all the discussions about why nobody wants to see originals bands.

Amazon, Clearchannel, Iheart media, they are stealing our culture by attrition.
Hell those corporate marketing teams with psychologists and lawyers actually trained us to promote them by for example: we magically remember every old shut down music store was owned by elderly mom & pop who sold crap fir high prices and were always rude, we magically repeat that originals bands are boring crooners we suffer through while looking for some other bar on our phones, and we even defend the cheap unbranded Chinese products amazon sells that break in a year or two.

Meanwhile we all refuse to support independent music stores, independent radio, independent retailers, and originals bands.
That act is obedience to a pop culture that only consumes what is force fed to us.
Back when bars had originals bands playing to full houses having fun, we of society did not go around saying we love some major corporate entity.

Be the culture that you are!
Do not give in to corporate control of culture!

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I may be the fool on the hill but I see an obvious connection between corporate control missions to wipe out all other retailers and train consumers to love the company store unbranded Chinese crap products, corporate music marketing; and the gradual erosion of fonsumer curiosity.

There was a time when folks going out on a Saturday night actually liked checking out new bands playing unfamiliar music.
More so in the 60s, still some in the 70s, not totally dead in cultural centers in the 80s, and to some degree now anyone in anytown USA under 50 may not remember such times.
That has all but disappeared from most markets, but there are still pockets of CULTURE where consumers do not obey corporate marketing.

Less and less real culture in the US though as consumerism drills deep into the core values of us all.
By culture I basically mean interested in unfamiliar new arts and music, those who create new rather than copying/ regurgitating old.

2) You are struggling now between obeying the consumer masses or being true to yourself as an artist.

Culture is really pretty much dying off, we can see that in among other things all the discussions about why nobody wants to see originals bands.

Hell those corporate marketing teams with psychologists and lawyers actually trained us to promote them by for example: we magically remember every old shut down music store was owned by elderly mom & pop who sold crap fir high prices and were always rude, we magically repeat that originals bands are boring crooners we suffer through while looking for some other bar on our phones, and we even defend the cheap unbranded Chinese products amazon sells that break in a year or two.

Meanwhile we all refuse to support independent music stores, independent radio, independent retailers, and originals bands.
That act is obedience to a pop culture that only consumes what is force fed to us.
Back when bars had originals bands playing to full houses having fun, we of society did not go around saying we love some major corporate entity.

Your observations are apt, but I think you are looking for a "MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!" that is not there. I don't think, for example Bezos, ever dreamed of Amazon being as successful as it has been. What I see is mass communications and the infrastructure that supports them reaching critical mass and a lot of good old fashioned capitalists jumped on the fact that they could more directly connect with customers. I don't think any of them give two figs about culture going in a particular direction, I think they are just planning according to dollars. No conspiracy needed, not agenda needed, just capitalists being capitalists.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Your observations are apt, but I think you are looking for a "MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!" that is not there. I don't think, for example Bezos, ever dreamed of Amazon being as successful as it has been. What I see is mass communications and the infrastructure that supports them reaching critical mass and a lot of good old fashioned capitalists jumped on the fact that they could more directly connect with customers. I don't think any of them give two figs about culture going in a particular direction, I think they are just planning according to dollars. No conspiracy needed, not agenda needed, just capitalists being capitalists.
Well no, it is a fact that Bezos set out with the goal of wiping out every bookstore, which he orchestrated and succeeded at.
Then he set out to destroy all retail competition, and he has done remarkably well with that.
He did not plan to be a quality retailer.
He planned to be THE dominant retailer and created psychological marketing strategies to carry out his plan.

Nobody today really questions the Amazon insistence that they have great or even good prices.

Shoppers who only buy name brand products from Amazon may not know how they are delivering piles to our landfills with unbranded untested unvetted Chinese crap that breaks if it works at all.
My job buys lots of Amazon products and they 100% make false claims selling disposables based on marketing and free returns.
Notice how they very often tell customers dont even bother to return the crap we reject?
Their prices are actually too high, on the cheap crap, and thats why they dont even want it back.

If you bring your own trash to a dump or transfer station, you will see mountains if new looking products tossed because they stopped working after a short life span.
If you talk to the disposal professionals you will learn that China no longer buys our recycling, and any recyclable trash you discard just goes in a landfill.

Disposable goods and dishonest psych marketing is the Amazon business model.
They do still offerbrand name products with a reputation behind them, but as they dominate retail AND manufacturing, less and less brand name hopefully longer lasting stuff will be sold.

Mr_Lahey

Strat-Talker
Jul 2, 2021
Ottawa

Fight the power! in truth I avoid Amazon and other on.line shopping if I can, in favour of brick and mortar stores. Like trying to hold the tide back, but still…

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Fight the power! in truth I avoid Amazon and other on.line shopping if I can, in favour of brick and mortar stores. Like trying to hold the tide back, but still…
Every once in a while I get excited and say to myself "I'm going to go shop in person!! It will be fun. How hard can it be to find such and such..." then I drive around and fart around and can't find what I want and I drive home and order on Amazon.

I would buy local if I could but we are now deep in the cycle where brick and mortar stores just cannot possibly carry enough inventory to compete.

Latest posts