NPD: Strymon El Capistan

GhostJam47

Strat-O-Master
Apr 21, 2021
Seattle
Wow, this thing is awesome.

Never played a delay where I could get crank the delay so much and not have it sounds too delay-y.

Hard to explain, but the delay is "one with" the core tone. Everything just sounds warm and lush. No effort to dial it in either.

Might be difficult to play anything not soaked in delay in the near future.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground

Never played a delay where I could get crank the delay so much and not have it sounds too delay-y.

Hard to explain, but the delay is "one with" the core tone. Everything just sounds warm and lush. No effort to dial it in either.

Playing with the two tape controls can get you into dub territory.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC

Add the spring reverb feature and get a Roland Space Echo tone too. I really dug mine and only sold it because I got a UAFX Starlight which does the EP 3, DMM and a digital delay.

FunGhoul

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 22, 2022
New Jersey
With all of the options and tweaks available on this caliber of pedals, are they better suited to use in recording or for stage use?

I would think they are more appropriate for recording since changing on stage for different tunes might be time challenging.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
With all of the options and tweaks available on this caliber of pedals, are they better suited to use in recording or for stage use?

I would think they are more appropriate for recording since changing on stage for different tunes might be time challenging.
I have used my El Capistan countless times on stage.
On/off.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
So you would buy a Ferrari to drive exclusively in 25 Mph zones?
This does not compute.
The pedal can be pre-programmed, no need for on stage tweaking.
All of the features are usable to me.
If you only drive in the slow lane, enjoy your De Soto.

GhostJam47

Strat-O-Master
Apr 21, 2021
Seattle

The crazy part is how easy it is to switch from subtle slapback, to spacey multi-delay and anywehre in between. Incredibly intuitive and easy to dial in for such a versatile pedal.

I've been having trouble turning it off.

If you're playing on-stage, you can get a Favorite Switch, which saves 3 presets (or the new v2 model had midi with 100s of presets), or a simple expression pedal combined with the built-in tap-tempo will give you a lot of hands-free versatility. But, I'm having no issue with just the knobs and tap-tempo in my living room.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
The crazy part is how easy it is to switch from subtle slapback, to spacey multi-delay and anywehre in between. Incredibly intuitive and easy to dial in for such a versatile pedal.

I've been having trouble turning it off.

If you're playing on-stage, you can get a Favorite Switch, which saves 3 presets (or the new v2 model had midi with 100s of presets), or a simple expression pedal combined with the built-in tap-tempo will give you a lot of hands-free versatility. But, I'm having no issue with just the knobs and tap-tempo in my living room.
My experience exactly.
On its surface, it's a simple pedal.
If you want to dive deep, many options are available.
It's really an incredible device IMO.