No Freaking Hum!

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
So I found this quite interesting and wanted to share.

Just recently, my wife and I were invited to a homecoming party for one of her friends' daughters. The location was a rural area with older houses and lots of land in between. But the party was actually at a newer home (built in 2007) set in a subdivision off a main road. These homes were closer with backyards that backed up to each other. The party was outside and it was hot as hell, but at least they had a big canopy setup for shade.

Well I didn't know many folks there but the couple's house we were at, after striking up a conversation with my wife's friends' husband, come to find out he plays guitar! He was telling me about the new Les Paul he recently bought and I said she sounds, sweet, can I check her out?

He took me down to his basement to show me his new Gibby and had it running through a Line 6 Pod Go. So in order to actually hear it when I played I had to put on headphones. Sounded fantastic! He had downloaded a bunch of those Impulses and had one that made his guitar sound just like the guitar tone of the band, Boston.

So why is this relevant and why did I find it interesting you ask?

When we were talking outside, I mentioned I play mostly Fender and that I have several Strats and when we were in his basement, he also showed me his Strat and asked if I'd like to try it out through the Pod Go. So of course I said sure.

It was an American Standard SSS and even with all that high gain sound from the Boston Impulse setting, I heard no hum! Position 1,3, and 5 were just as silent as hum canceling 2 & 4. In other words, total silence in all positions.

My house was built in the 50s and unless I turn my body and guitar a certain way, I get terrible 60 cycle hum and interference in position 1,3 and 5. I was just amazed how beautifully quiet his Strat sounded in any position and am jealous as hell.

So I wanted to know if any of you have the luxury of residing in a house like that and what the heck do I need to do to make my house have the beautiful silence?

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
But wouldn't you still hear hum while playing? I heard nothing. No sign of any hum whatsoever.

Isn`t it possible he had zero issue with 60hz hum and RF interference ?

Last edited:

Hal Nico

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2012
JAMOADR
There are some older houses that didn't get the benefit of a good grounding system especially in rural areas. Some people over the years have made their own and rigged into the mains distribution box.

Here's some videos but here in the UK we would have get a registered/certified electrician if we needed to do this kind of modification/addition.

and have a read of this as well,

All my guitars are quite both with Humbuckers and Single coils as I have nominal grounding in my house.

HTH :)

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
Of course, but seemed he no issues with either. Total silence.
I wouldn’t know how to explain this other guy’s lack of hum outside of the fact that he seems to have a bare minimum of any electrical components outside of the guitar and amp (aka no pedals and patch cables). And maybe he had noiseless pickups or was in position 2/4? Don’t remember if you mentioned that.

My house was built in the 1970s. My music room is a pita. Everything has to be plugged into the same outlet or otherwise there is terrible hum. Like, if my pedals are plugged into one outlet but the amp is plugged into another, something about that loop creates an intolerable buzz/hum. Even running from a single outlet, I had to get a power conditioner to tame the noise (the room is surrounded by furnace, hot water heater and the ax unit). The outlets upstairs are all quieter.

Audiowonderland

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 19, 2020
Usa

Just recently, my wife and I were invited to a homecoming party for one of her friends' daughters. The location was a rural area with older houses and lots of land in between. But the party was actually at a newer home (built in 2007) set in a subdivision off a main road. These homes were closer with backyards that backed up to each other. The party was outside and it was hot as hell, but at least they had a big canopy setup for shade.

Well I didn't know many folks there but the couple's house we were at, after striking up a conversation with my wife's friends' husband, come to find out he plays guitar! He was telling me about the new Les Paul he recently bought and I said she sounds, sweet, can I check her out?

He took me down to his basement to show me his new Gibby and had it running through a Line 6 Pod Go. So in order to actually hear it when I played I had to put on headphones. Sounded fantastic! He had downloaded a bunch of those Impulses and had one that made his guitar sound just like the guitar tone of the band, Boston.

When we were talking outside, I mentioned I play mostly Fender and that I have several Strats and when we were in his basement, he also showed me his Strat and asked if I'd like to try it out through the Pod Go. So of course I said sure.

It was an American Standard SSS and even with all that high gain sound from the Boston Impulse setting, I heard no hum! Position 1,3, and 5 were just as silent as hum canceling 2 & 4. In other words, total silence in all positions.

My house was built in the 50s and unless I turn my body and guitar a certain way, I get terrible 60 cycle hum and interference in position 1,3 and 5. I was just amazed how beautifully quiet his Strat sounded in any position and am jealous as hell.

So I wanted to know if any of you have the luxury of residing in a house like that and what the heck do I need to do to make my house have the beautiful

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
I completely rewired my house by myself. I have outlets every 5 feet in every room on both floors with separate feeds to each bank of 3 from the fuse box, one on each floor. I even put aluminum shielding in the walls where I was going to put my recording setup. Should have been the quietest place ever to play and record.
I pretty much had everything covered.

Except for the noisy power line transformer 25 feet from my house. and all the power lines going directly to it.

Then again, if it would have all worked perfectly I'd be thinking that I was living in somebody else's dream.

The_Whale

Strat-O-Master
Apr 11, 2020
Gaithersburg, MD
So I wanted to know if any of you have the luxury of residing in a house like that and what the heck do I need to do to make my house have the beautiful silence?

I've had the opposite experience; playing a gig in a bar that was so incredibly noisy that it was impossible to play single coils without a loud "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" coming through even a very clean amp.

It was made doable via the hum-cancelling 2 and 4 positions on a Strat; nice and quiet that way.

I have played in many places and situations, this was the only time that I was unable to play single coils without a debilitating amount of buzz.

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it personally.

Ever since I have been sympathetic to those who desire low-noise pickups for their Strats; there definitely are times when these are very useful....

Hal Nico

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2012
JAMOADR
It

Buy one of these and start checking.

$5.99

The ground to the mains distribution panel must be nominal. Once that is achieved then the grounds and polarity of the wiring to the outlets must be correct.

This is a demo with no noise gates of an SSS Stratocaster with no cavity shielding in all 5 positions,

Noise is a ,"Symptom" not a , "Cause".

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
If you plug your amp into your bathroom/kitchen outlet (which should have a trip), that will remove all reasonable outlet issues.
Might let you know if the issue is grounding.

eco7077

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
NYC

Get a JOYO Gates of Khan, It is awesome.
I don't use mine now because I have a board that doesn't really need it, but it is awesome the little pedal.