NGD

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
D4300219-B81A-4C7D-A9B1-138C98F16D33.jpeg

I scored a USACG tele neck the other day (mahogany, Brazilian rosewood 24-3/4” conversion) and was going to sell it but then scored a squier offset tele in a shockingly similar colour and having put the two together I’ve decided to keep hold of it for now.

The neck is fantastic, very similar to my Gibson SG and although it pains me to say it I think it’s slightly nicer to play… and whilst the marrying up of a tele and a jazzmaster is still a bit of a shock visually to me it’s a glorious combination to every other sense.

I’ve ordered a fender cunife WRHB to put in the neck and have a couple of 1 Meg pots to put in it. I’ve never experienced a real WRHB and am very excited to do so.

I’m assuming that the tele bridge pickup will be pretty unbearable with 1 Meg pots, im toying with the idea of modifying a 72 custom scratchplate to fit the JM shape so I can have different pots for the single coil…

E5DD91F6-CC48-406D-9826-FB69B1590D54.jpeg F4306E0B-402F-4356-9727-0C99803F3FEA.jpeg BE98C4FE-B754-403A-93C0-B15D28856F67.jpeg

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
View attachment 563712
I did similar.

Hwy 1 neck, Texas Specials. Offsets are very comfortable. Surprised at how much I like the Okoume body.
That flame on the body is lovely, and it looks so much better with a big headstock. Only thing I’d change about this neck.
what bridge is that? I wanted to get an old American standard tele bridge without the ‘walls’ and with the block saddles but wasn’t sure if it would fit or not

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
That flame on the body is lovely, what bridge is that? I wanted to get an old American standard tele bridge without the ‘walls’ and with the block saddles but wasn’t sure if it would fit or not
Gotoh Modern Vintage. Modern Style fitting vintage holes.

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
My usual suggestion would be concentric pots. But a 1meg/250K is hard to find. You can find 500/250K. I would probably try it with the 500/250 and see if it's bright enough for you.

Another thought is you could use some Jaguar style pots on the bass side to control the bridge. If you're going custom pickguard, that's not much of a jump.

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
My usual suggestion would be concentric pots. But a 1meg/250K is hard to find. You can find 500/250K. I would probably try it with the 500/250 and see if it's bright enough for you.

Another thought is you could use some Jaguar style pots on the bass side to control the bridge. If you're going custom pickguard, that's not much of a jump.
I’d not thought of that, nor heard of concentric pots. il look into it thank you

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
View attachment 563708

I scored a USACG tele neck the other day (mahogany, Brazilian rosewood 24-3/4” conversion) and was going to sell it but then scored a squier offset tele in a shockingly similar colour and having put the two together I’ve decided to keep hold of it for now.

The neck is fantastic, very similar to my Gibson SG and although it pains me to say it I think it’s slightly nicer to play… and whilst the marrying up of a tele and a jazzmaster is still a bit of a shock visually to me it’s a glorious combination to every other sense.

I’ve ordered a fender cunife WRHB to put in the neck and have a couple of 1 Meg pots to put in it. I’ve never experienced a real WRHB and am very excited to do so.

I’m assuming that the tele bridge pickup will be pretty unbearable with 1 Meg pots, im toying with the idea of modifying a 72 custom scratchplate to fit the JM shape so I can have different pots for the single coil…

View attachment 563709 View attachment 563710 View attachment 563711
That looks awesome! HNGD!

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I’d not thought of that, nor heard of concentric pots. il look into it thank you

You also need the special "concentric knobs" if you use the pots. Fender has some or there are aftermarket look-alikes. Also make sure you're looking at the type where each pot is independently adjustable.

Note that the phrase "concentric" is also used to describe dual pots that use the same shaft but are not independently adjustable. Think of something like a balance control on a stereo where as you turn one side up, you want to turn the other side down. So look for pots where you can actually see the dual concentric shafts (outer/inner).

Example of the type you'd want: Dual Shaft Concentric Pots

The type you would not want: Single Shaft Concentric Pots

Last edited:

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
You also need the special "concentric knobs" if you use the pots. Fender has some or there are aftermarket look-alikes. Also make sure you're looking at the type where each pot is independently adjustable.

Note that the phrase "concentric" is also used to describe dual pots that use the same shaft but are not independently adjustable. Think of something like a balance control on a stereo where as you turn one side up, you want to turn the other side down. So look for pots where you can actually see the dual concentric shafts (outer/inner).

Example of the type you'd want: Dual Shaft Concentric Pots

The type you would not want: Single Shaft Concentric Pots
Thank you for all this info, I will do a bit of reading as I’m torn between keeping the configuration as is and using concentric pots or eventually making a 72 custom esq. plate to have a set of pots for each pickup.

I’ve just installed the WRHB, not had a chance to wire it up yet so am yet to experience what a tele bridge pickup through 1 Meg pots will be like haha

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
View attachment 563708

View attachment 563709 View attachment 563710 View attachment 563711
2B3E9120-12C6-4174-8F8E-ED8A7935159D.jpeg