NGD To my surprise, I really like it...sort of.

tygr1

Strat-Talker
May 4, 2016
Texas
So a local trader/seller was after an amp that I had taken in trade. He loved it, he said...always wanted one.

Anyway, I ended up letting him have it for a 2017 Deluxe Strat in return. I was intrigued by the 12" neck radius.

The body was a really nice ash covered in translucent blonde. It's got a 22 fret neck and 2 point trem like the other Player Series Strats, but they no longer are called 'Deluxe Player Strat'. It has the contoured neck heel.. I'm pretty sure that someone removed a set of Fender locking tuners which should've been there stock.

As for the electronics. That leaves a little to be desired. The Vintage Noiseless pickups sound good, but nothing to write home about. That will be dealt with simply because I'm loving the 12" fingerboard! Hell, it's just easier to play for me.

I guess I actually bought a really nice body and neck, eh? BTW, I really dislike the large headstock. Still. Lol.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Congrats! The MIM Deluxe series was replaced by the Player Plus models last September/October. However, the Deluxe Stratocaster had been dropped in mid-2000 due to the ash shortage (all colors were transparent and used ash bodies) - probably Fender didn't want to re-spec a different body on a specific model that was going to be discontinued within 12 months. Yep; someone did snag the locking tuners from this one.

myredstrat

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2020
close to the edge
HNGD! I never used to like the large headstocks, but now I do. Good enough for Hendrix (mostly) and Blackmore, good enough for me.:D
On a different note (bad pun intended) what is the pedal sitting on top of your amp?

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Nice Strat! Reminds me of one I owned in the 1970/80s. You'll get over the headstock. Hendrix managed it. :sneaky:

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
HNGD! I never used to like the large headstocks, but now I do. Good enough for Hendrix (mostly) and Blackmore, good enough for me.:D
On a different note (bad pun intended) what is the pedal sitting on top of your amp?
I believe that box on top of the amp is likely to be a volume control in the effects loop so the amp doesn't blow up everyone's heads.

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Technically the body is the headstock, so it's the largest of all!

😏
LOL, now there's some sophistry for you.
A headstock or peghead is part of a guitar or similar stringed instruments such as a lute,
mandolin, banjo, ukulele, and others of the lute lineage.
The main function of a headstock is to house the pegs or mechanism that holds the
strings at the "head" of the instrument.

On a headless guitar, the body is still the body, the neck is still the neck, and there is no
headstock at the end of it.
This type of instrument tunes at the tail end of the body, but that doesn't make the body
a 'headstock' of any sort.
Facts.
But you knew that already, didn't you? 😂
And even on Strats, i personally find the larger headstock unattractive.

Last edited:

ETucc

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2022
NJ
LOL, now there's some sophistry for you.
On a headless guitar, the body is still the body, the neck is still the neck, and there is no
headstock at the end of it.
This type of instrument tunes at the tail end of the body, but that doesn't make the body
a 'headstock' of any sort.
Facts.
But you knew that already, didn't you?
I'm just a lil stinker.