Next build- "Phantom Surfer"

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
The white pickguard is starting to look a bit bright to me, so I sent away for some WD Music samples; here they are against white, with flash first, no flash second:

20230118_085218.jpg

20230118_085223.jpg

I'm wanting to get closer to the look of Dick Dale's, or Fender's CS version of it:

image.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 9.04.05 AM.png

Dick's looks Mint to me, but the CS one looks Parchment. What do you guys think?
The CS definitely looks parchment. Dick’s is hard to tell with the lighting.

beerbelly

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2021
Portland, OR
How the heck are you painting. It is 37 here as a high... 14 this morning getting into car for work...

View attachment 620473
The neck had been painted a couple weeks ago during a semi dry spell here. The body gets painted after I check the humidity report on my weather bookmark; probably no more clear coats until next week per that. Temp. doesn't seem to be as big of a factor.

You and I both looks waaayyyy too clean.

I have two benches; the dirty bench in the garage:

20211124_122359.jpg

And the 'beauty bench' in the house:

V2 tailpipes & strap.jpg

beerbelly

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2021
Portland, OR
How the heck are you painting. It is 37 here as a high... 14 this morning getting into car for work...

View attachment 620473

Your question is interesting to me, and I'm wondering if others can chime in.
I spray outside under a covered patio, and seem to have pretty good luck spraying in colder weather. As a weatherman in the Service, I know there's a correlation between temperature and humidity- cold weather usually means drier humidity. And trapped humidity is typically the cause of blushing, especially during high humidity and high temps- the lacquer flashes off quickly, trapping moisture before it can evaporate.
In the summer, I usually add some retarder to my lacquer to slow the flash, but I don't seem to have any problem with blushing in cold, dry weather. I leave the guitar and the gun hanging outside, so the lacquer is the same temp as the part I'm painting,
Anyone have any input on my theory?

Also, how does a guy drink a beer like that- straw??

20230120_155626.jpg

beerbelly

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2021
Portland, OR
Interesting... since I posted my question I went to check a few vid on the process. One thing I see that you are not doing is a few (3) coats of clear before leveling the orange peel with 800...

Any particular reason ?
Updates and what I'm learning, including an answer to your question.
• I spent WAY too much time sanding this body before paint; with this metalflake finish, I could have probably left it at 180. This 'flake hides all sins.
• I didn't spray 3 coats of clear before leveling with 800; I sprayed 8. It doesn't really matter when the clear is applied after the initial color coats, as lacquer 're-wets' itself and flows together on each coat.
• I tried 800 to knock down the orange peel, and switched to 400 since the finish is so forgiving.
• I suspect I'll need about 12 coats or more to get enough clear on to level sand & polish. Starting to get spendy, but it's going to be worth it; this finish is getting deep.
• Glitter EVERYWHERE! It will not be denied; I can't even imagine how to control it. It will be on your clothes, your shoes, in your hair, on everything in the area you shot it. But still, WORTH it! I love the look.

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
• I spent WAY too much time sanding this body before paint; with this metalflake finish, I could have probably left it at 180. This 'flake hides all sins.
• I didn't spray 3 coats of clear before leveling with 800; I sprayed 8. It doesn't really matter when the clear is applied after the initial color coats, as lacquer 're-wets' itself and flows together on each coat.
• I tried 800 to knock down the orange peel, and switched to 400 since the finish is so forgiving.
• I suspect I'll need about 12 coats or more to get enough clear on to level sand & polish. Starting to get spendy, but it's going to be worth it; this finish is getting deep.
• Glitter EVERYWHERE! It will not be denied; I can't even imagine how to control it. It will be on your clothes, your shoes, in your hair, on everything in the area you shot it. But still, WORTH it! I love the look.

Tyvek suit next time? I'd send you a couple.

Yeah that looks stellar.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Interesting, so even after 8 coats of clear the glitter would surface and you’d get some off at sanding ?