NBD

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Well, I actually got this a couple of weeks ago. I let it acclimate for a week or two, and then earlier this evening, I did a level and crown, hand polishing with 800, 100, 1500, 2000, and 5000 grit sand papers, with a radius block up to 1000 grit. Then, I used the rest of the lighter grades on my finger tip.

Following that, I used a felt wheel with an abrasive In it, and followed with a lighter compound on a felt wheel on my Dremel. I put the original strings back on and adjusted the action at the 17th fret to 7, 6,6 and 5 and 1/2 64ths. No buzzes.

I will let it set for another couple of days with the round wounds on it, and then put on my favorite flats, and drop the action a little bit, and recheck the relief. I really like LaBella flats as they are smooth as glas, just like the frets are now. I’m in no hurry.
25FCDCEE-5309-46F0-8414-ADABF8A83677.jpeg 565AA10F-3DE5-497D-89DC-46F8ADDDE2C2.jpeg

So far I have tightened every screw and nut as they were all a little loose, including the neck screws. You can see a dog hair here and there as my dog Abby came over for pets.

This is the Sterling Ray 4. $349.00 new. And it sounds just as good as the MusicMan that I used to have. Ceramic pup vs Alnico on the MIA version. But active pup nonetheless. I can’t hear the difference.

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Well, I actually got this a couple of weeks ago. I let it acclimate for a week or two, and then earlier this evening, I did a level and crown, hand polishing with 800, 100, 1500, 2000, and 5000 grit sand papers, with a radius block up to 1000 grit. Then, I used the rest of the lighter grades on my finger tip.

Following that, I used a felt wheel with an abrasive In it, and followed with a lighter compound on a felt wheel on my Dremel. I put the original strings back on and adjusted the action at the 17th fret to 7, 6,6 and 5 and 1/2 64ths. No buzzes.

I will let it set for another couple of days with the round wounds on it, and then put on my favorite flats, and drop the action a little bit, and recheck the relief. I really like LaBella flats as they are smooth as glas, just like the frets are now. I’m in no hurry.
View attachment 582390 View attachment 582391

So far I have tightened every screw and nut as they were all a little loose, including the neck screws. You can see a dog hair here and there as my dog Abby came over for pets.

This is the Sterling Ray 4. $349.00 new. And it sounds just as good as the MusicMan that I used to have. Ceramic pup vs Alnico on the MIA version. But active pup nonetheless. I can’t hear the difference.
Some of the best guitars and basses in the world have ceramic-magnet pickups. Some artists prefer them. Nothing wrong with those. Congrats!

Theron

Strat-O-Master
Nov 16, 2017
Indiana
Killer basses...probably some of the most bang...or thump for your buck!

I think my next one with be a Sterling Short-Scale Stingray

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South

View attachment 582390 View attachment 582391

Nice!

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I've noticed some great bass players on YT playing Sterlings, so I get the impression the quality is really good. Nice to hear your input on that.:thumb::thumb::thumb: