Missing neck date on 1989 Strat Plus

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Very nice; no red flags at all to me. Regarding the Tremsetter - it should be there but some people remove it. The TBX tone control is pretty easy to tell without removing the pickguard - you will feel it kind of "stick" when it hits a notch a about "5" on the knob - the TBX is a double pot so it reads as a 250k pot from 1-5, then it reads as a 1mg pot from 6-10.

Is the finish metallic/pearl? It might be my monitor but it kind of looks like it on my laptop screen. Torino red isn't metallic/pearl; it's basically Ferrari red.

crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
If it is an '89/'90 model...the color should be "Frost Red"... that is the shade of red that Fender used on the Strat Plus for those years...the Clapton strat's back then used "Torino Red"....

Here is a pic of my '90 AmStandard in Frost Red.....the pics were taken with poor lighting...The guitar is here somewhere in the house and when I find it, I'll snap some shots outdoors...
IMG_20201018_125555012.jpg

PS: A very nice looking guitar you have there....congrats and enjoy...

Davyjo7

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 22, 2022
UK
Nothing to worry about, it's a beauty. The only thing I like more than an E9 is an N9.

There aren't a lot of Torino reds out there.

Is it in mint condition?

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, its pretty much in mint condition

Davyjo7

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 22, 2022
UK
Very nice; no red flags at all to me. Regarding the Tremsetter - it should be there but some people remove it. The TBX tone control is pretty easy to tell without removing the pickguard - you will feel it kind of "stick" when it hits a notch a about "5" on the knob - the TBX is a double pot so it reads as a 250k pot from 1-5, then it reads as a 1mg pot from 6-10.

Is the finish metallic/pearl? It might be my monitor but it kind of looks like it on my laptop screen. Torino red isn't metallic/pearl; it's basically Ferrari red.
It does have a metallic/pearl finish so I guess it can't be Torino red even tho that's how it was described when I bought it.......and I've opened it up the double pot TBX is definitely there.

Davyjo7

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 22, 2022
UK
If it is an '89/'90 model...the color should be "Frost Red"... that is the shade of red that Fender used on the Strat Plus for those years...the Clapton strat's back then used "Torino Red"....

Here is a pic of my '90 AmStandard in Frost Red.....the pics were taken with poor lighting...The guitar is here somewhere in the house and when I find it, I'll snap some shots outdoors...
View attachment 594555

PS: A very nice looking guitar you have there....congrats and enjoy...
Thanks. Mine must be frost red or even ferrari red maybe

crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
Here are some pics of my Frost Red from 1990.....there is a very slight metallic finish to the color.
IMG_20220924_134112029.jpg IMG_20220924_134153516.jpg IMG_20220924_134247627_HDR.jpg

Same guitar as the pic I posted a few responses up....looks paler in the sunlight...

Last edited:

crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
Sorry, I hate to bring this up....but to me your body looks to be Candy Apple Red (a great color)....and your guitar has 3 gold lace sensor pickups in it....

After doing some research, I have found that Fender first offered CAR w/3 gold lace P/U's in 1996....It is the second down on this page of the catalog....
1996 Fender price.jpg

I am sure that @John C and others will have a better answer....I'm a lefty and never followed the "Plus" line...

Davyjo7

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 22, 2022
UK
Sorry, I hate to bring this up....but to me your body looks to be Candy Apple Red (a great color)....and your guitar has 3 gold lace sensor pickups in it....

After doing some research, I have found that Fender first offered CAR w/3 gold lace P/U's in 1996....It is the second down on this page of the catalog....
View attachment 594613

I am sure that @John C and others will have a better answer....I'm a lefty and never followed the "Plus" line...
Thanks very much for the info. I really think mine is Frost red now tho comparing with other photos ive checked on Google.

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Thanks. Mine must be frost red or even ferrari red maybe

Fender used "Torino" as a stand-in for "Ferrari" red - the story I've heard a few times was that Clapton wanted a red shade to match his Ferrari but Enzo wouldn't let them use the color so they picked a slightly lighter color and called it "Torino".

View attachment 594613

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer on the color code; Fender could be all over the place on colors back then.

Davyjo7

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 22, 2022
UK
Here are some close up pics of the end of the neck and neck pocket -as you can see, any date seems illegible

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 4