Making Plans...

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I really don't play this guitar enough.
1655364909596.png
The bridge is great, the tuners are solid, the pickups are okay, the switch works, the pots are scratchy as hell and will only really stay on when "full".

It might be because the pots are the way they are I'm not enjoying the sound of the pickups as much as I should, but I will look into brightening them up somewhat.

Besides that, replacing the pots is a given, which will lead to a rewiring, so I might do the complete overhaul and change out the switch as well.

It's a little bit extra, but even though the tuners hold tune very well, I might look at locking tuners since nobody loves changing strings.

Hopefully I can keep the volume/tone knobs for the "original" look.

Anyway, this is more of a bookmark post until I can scrape up the parts.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Did a quick look at parts costs and various repair costs re: wiring, and a rough estimate for total cost comes close to $700.

Which is what I paid for the guitar in the first place.

Weighing it up, it's less than buying a whole new guitar and far less than buying then modifying a "real" Les Paul (Epiphone/Gibson).

This is what tax returns are for, I guess.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Update... the teardown has begun.

1657984970352.png

Parts ordered and should arrive over the next week.

Switchcraft toggle and output jack.
Gotoh 18:1 locking tuners.
Seymour Duncan 500K pots.
Seymour Duncan Mayhem Set pickups.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

If you are seeking brighter: measure the pots you get and use the highest measured kohm for the volume control on the neck pickup (usually the muddiest).

Smaller actual/measured tone capacitors allow more highs/presence through (I swap from 0.047uF to 0.033uF). Then if the pickup is too muddy I wire the 0.047uF in series with the pickup hot lead.

Lately I have rotated the bridge pickups so the screw poles are on the north/inside and raise them 1/8th inch. Set all your pickup heights. I get a lot more P90 tone this way while still keeping humbucking performance.

(I've found many of the SD pickups much too dark/muddy for my tastes, so be prepared. It's all about the winding process that creates more internal capacitance. fixes are noted above if you need them).

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
I really don't play this guitar enough.
View attachment 570177
The bridge is great, the tuners are solid, the pickups are okay, the switch works, the pots are scratchy as hell and will only really stay on when "full".

It might be because the pots are the way they are I'm not enjoying the sound of the pickups as much as I should, but I will look into brightening them up somewhat.

Besides that, replacing the pots is a given, which will lead to a rewiring, so I might do the complete overhaul and change out the switch as well.

It's a little bit extra, but even though the tuners hold tune very well, I might look at locking tuners since nobody loves changing strings.

Hopefully I can keep the volume/tone knobs for the "original" look.

Anyway, this is more of a bookmark post until I can scrape up the parts.
First of all, why not try spraying out the pots first which usually fixes the scratchy sound. I my shop a full rewire is around $200. 4 pots and a switch plus some shielded wire is around $60. The $700 quote was price gouging.

I’d repair/clean the original wiring. Make sure everything is tight and soldered well. Then see how it sounds before throwing so much money at it.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
First of all, why not try spraying out the pots first which usually fixes the scratchy sound. I my shop a full rewire is around $200. 4 pots and a switch plus some shielded wire is around $60. The $700 quote was price gouging.

I’d repair/clean the original wiring. Make sure everything is tight and soldered well. Then see how it sounds before throwing so much money at it.
The $700 (approx. $475US) guesstimate included parts. As it stands, I've paid $580 (around $395US incl. postage) for the parts I wanted.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Locking tuners arrived today, along with the toggle switch, but I can't hook that up just yet.
1658120420340-png.577854
1658120456569.png
Very nice. A little crooked, but I can only go by the screw holes.

Attachments

• 1658120420340.png
    1658120420340.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 72

hornpiper

Apr 23, 2014
Anytown,USA
I had one just like it years ago. A 1977 “lawsuit” era model. It was a set neck, very rare compared to the majority of the Ibanez LP’s, which were bolt-on necks. Also, was a rosewood
board vs. ebony as on the US LP Custom models. It had the Ibanez “Super 70’s” pickups which sounded great. I had various other USA LP’s at the time, and the Ibanez compared favorably in my opinion. Really wish I would have kept it, like dozens of other guitars and amps in retrospect, but I was buying and selling regularly back then.