Learned something new today about Fender Mexico

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I have been overall happy with MIM Fenders.

I currently own 3 Fender guitars, and they are all MIM. They, and my Squier, are my favorite guitars. The core four.
About 13 years or so ago I got to meet a Fender rep through Guitar Showcase (remember them?) Anyhoo we chatted for a while and I remember asking him if Fender was shooting themselves in the foot by making the MIM's so much nicer than ever before to the point of people thinking why buy MIA's? Long story short he basically said in the long run it's a good thing for consumers and of course for Fender.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
About 13 years or so ago I got to meet a Fender rep through Guitar Showcase (remember them?) Anyhoo we chatted for a while and I remember asking him if Fender was shooting themselves in the foot by making the MIM's so much nicer than ever before to the point of people thinking why buy MIA's? Long story short he basically said in the long run it's a good thing for consumers and of course for Fender.
Bought my first electric guitar at Guitar Showcase in 1985. A Yamaha SBG 200. Still have it.

Bought many things from them over the years.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Bought my first electric guitar at Guitar Showcase in 1985. A Yamaha SBG 200. Still have it.

Bought many things from them over the years.

The main building got sold for $8,000,000 and they are now in that tiny building across the parking lot. Yet another well loved long time family business on their way out.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
The main building got sold for $8,000,000 and they are now in that tiny building across the parking lot. Yet another well loved long time family business on their way out.
They were always my go to guitar shop in San Jose.

I remember when they first opened that small building, and Kamamoto Strings moved in there, and was doing all of the repair work. They did a refret on my '76 Les Paul in 1988.

Then a few years later they were using that building as their used equipment section.

Times change.

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
I play a 2001 MIM Standard strat and it is the best guitar I have ever played and I've owned both a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom and a 2010 American Deluxe Strat along with a handful of others, Ibanez, Schecter etc.

jjaaam

Strat-Talker
Dec 2, 2021
Michigan
Both of my main Strats are MIM - a 2012 I converted to HSS and a 2021 which was stock HSS. I’ve always said I really struggle to understand how an American model could be worth so many times the price. I love mine.

Boneman68

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Apr 12, 2021
CA
💡Interesting, well from that article I learned the Japanese helped bring that plant online, so thanks for sharing. Hell, so it’s no wonder the product coming out of there is generally flawless. I’ve toured Japanese run manufacturing plants for work, they are super efficient, and clean! And I’ve travelled to Japan too, and have seen how they run things, everything seems very organized. From the bullet trains to sushi conveyors, it was something else. That’s a great foundation for what was to come.

I’ve got a 94 MIM squier series(avatar strat), and according to this article, the Squier series launched in 94, so my 94 is a first year run of sorts then lol!

Colnago1

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 2, 2014
Where am I?
They make great guitar at Fender Mexico, I have 4 of them. There is no way that they are of the same quality and caliber as their American counterparts though. Even if just for fit and finish and parts and plating. They don’t compare, they come close, but they miss the mark. Sorry, it’s how it is with the ones that I own and the ones that I’ve played and seen and almost bought.
They are a budget version of the higher end product and that is their intention.