Is an fx loop essential??

feebleknievel

Strat-Talker
Dec 17, 2011
london
I’m a lover of reverb but having only had amps like the katana I’ve never needed a reverb pedal. Now my only amp is a Bugera t5. I really like the amp but the reverb is a bit crap, it’s a little short even on max for me. I use use pedals to get all my overdrive running the amp as clean as possible.
As I use pedals for all my overdrive can I put a reverb pedal at the end of my board and have it work the same as one in the fx loop? Getting another amp just for an fx loop is something I’d rather avoid if possible. Also I’m big on using the volume on the guitar, am I right in thinking that would change the intensity of the reverb? I’d be adding more/less signal as I play with the volume control

Higgins1980

I want that Hendrix Strat!
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
My amp has an fx loop but I run everything in front of the amp. I have a reverb last in line and works great. Also there are plenty of amps without an fx loop which requires reverb/delay, etc to be placed in front of the amp. Here’s my pedal layout. F98DC50A-0FDB-41E7-AE21-23CE760A05F4.jpeg

feebleknievel

Strat-Talker
Dec 17, 2011
london
My amp has an fx loop but I run everything in front of the amp. I have a reverb last in line and works great. Also there are plenty of amps without an fx loop which requires reverb/delay, etc to be placed in front of the amp. Here’s my pedal layout. View attachment 596396
Cheers, I’ll probably just go with that. I was looking at the laney super cub but nearly £400 just to get an fx loop seems a bit much

feebleknievel

Strat-Talker
Dec 17, 2011
london
If using valve amps, use the loop for time based effects.
Does it matter if your getting the overdrive from pedals? My limited knowledge is that it’s more important to use the fx the loop if your using the amps drive. But I’ve never tried either way myself

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
If you get Drive from the amp a loop helps keep delay and Reverb from getting muddy. If your just using your amp as a clean pedal platform then it does not matter.

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
May 5, 2020
UK
Does it matter if your getting the overdrive from pedals? My limited knowledge is that it’s more important to use the fx the loop if your using the amps drive. But I’ve never tried either way myself
I'll use od thru the front, in the clean channel

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Most time based effects are meant to sound like echoes. Whether that's slap back off a big flat wall on the other side of the arena, or reverberation around a performance hall or watery cave... It just doesn't make sense for those kind of effects to be distorted. Time based fx before distortion/fuzz/overdrive sounds artificial, and won't create a convincing illusion of playing in a particular type of space. And of course it gets rather indistinct. Muddy, hard to tell exactly what you are doing. Maybe good for hiding mistakes or just creating a wall of noise.

Lots of very well respected amps don't have an fx loop. Many players don't need one. Either because they don't use the amp for distortion, or because they aren't trying to create the illusion of space.

feebleknievel

Strat-Talker
Dec 17, 2011
london
Most time based effects are meant to sound like echoes. Whether that's slap back off a big flat wall on the other side of the arena, or reverberation around a performance hall or watery cave... It just doesn't make sense for those kind of effects to be distorted. Time based fx before distortion/fuzz/overdrive sounds artificial, and won't create a convincing illusion of playing in a particular type of space. And of course it gets rather indistinct. Muddy, hard to tell exactly what you are doing. Maybe good for hiding mistakes or just creating a wall of noise.

Lots of very well respected amps don't have an fx loop. Many players don't need one. Either because they don't use the amp for distortion, or because they aren't trying to create the illusion of space.
That’s fine then. I use pedals for the od so running the reverb pedal after the pedals should be good :)

StratUp

Dr. Stratster
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Reverb in front is fine IME. Normally inside an amp it would be post-pre-Amp, but it seems to work fine in front.
Volume doesn't matter - it's not like overdrive. It's an effect applied to the entire signal, whatever that level is.

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND
I’m a lover of reverb but having only had amps like the katana I’ve never needed a reverb pedal. Now my only amp is a Bugera t5. I really like the amp but the reverb is a bit crap, it’s a little short even on max for me. I use use pedals to get all my overdrive running the amp as clean as possible.
As I use pedals for all my overdrive can I put a reverb pedal at the end of my board and have it work the same as one in the fx loop? Getting another amp just for an fx loop is something I’d rather avoid if possible. Also I’m big on using the volume on the guitar, am I right in thinking that would change the intensity of the reverb? I’d be adding more/less signal as I play with the volume control
That depends on how many pedals and how much gain you are running in front of it, as well as how much headroom your amp has. I would try it, and if it doesn’t sound muddy you may be fine with it.