In praise of Partscasters

Finnish Swede

Strat-Talker
Apr 7, 2018
Sweden / Skåne
I have few ''partcasters'' ... so far this is my favorite.

Looks great, sounds great, plays well ... just bit ''heavy'' for st type guitar (body).

IMG-0801-kopio.jpg

IMG-0802-kopio.jpg

Last edited:

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Gotta love custom shop spec guitars at a fraction of the price. I just picked up an MJT/allparts build from CL for 500. I definately could not build this guitar for that.
20220814_211328.jpg
All of my partcasters are top shelf and I still own every guitar I have built. Everyone has their own thing and I own a ton of off the rack guitars, but picking out every piece and assembling it yourself creates a very special guitar just for you.

RNBQ

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 26, 2010
Bay Area
A few months ago I decided to assemble my first Partscaster in order to get exactly what I wanted in a strat. I was tempted to go the Mod Shop route but didn’t want to pay that price and not get exactly what I was looking for.

So here it is: maple neck with ebony fretboard and narrow tall frets, ice blue metallic body, locking tuners, vintage style neck and middle pickups with a hotter bridge, push/pull pot for activating the neck pickup, parchment pickguard.

The body is a Fender that I got used. The neck is from Warmoth, with SS frets, truss rod adjustment on the side (which works great) and their standard 10-16 compound radius and pre-installed nut. Fret markers are abalone. The pickups are Bootstrap Golden Ales, which I’m not loving so will try out other options.

Really the reason I’m posting this is to encourage anyone who has considered building a Partscaster but is a little unsure if you can do it: you can! My one suggestion would be don’t skimp on the neck. I went with Warmoth because of their great reputation and am glad I did.

View attachment 517724

One on my Parts projects was an Ice Blue one like yours'. Built it a long time ago. It too is a Warmoth.
Got the bug back in the early 90's about getting a Strat since I'd never had one. Bought one & got it home & wondered what made it tick? Wasn't exactly what I wanted & thought, I can make one more to my liking. So began the journey. Been building them since & have only one Fender Strat now that I bought in parts from a Tech & put it back to it's originality. It's been a fun ride, but I'm slowing down as I now have far too many Strats . . . lol

Shown here with a Bound Neck, but now has an unbound neck w/ a BRW board.

Attachments

• Ice Blue Metallic  001.JPG
    Ice Blue Metallic 001.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 7

trevia

New Member!
May 29, 2019
Washington state
My only partscaster made primarily from parts a friend had left over from his old hobby. Chambered rosewood body, birdseye maple neck, loaded custom shop pickguard and Hipshot griplock tuners.

Attachments

• 20170225_145004.jpg
    20170225_145004.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 13

partscaster

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mars: sector 6
IMG_0066 2.jpeg
My most versatile partscaster. Very single coil-ish sounding "Phoenix" mini-hums from D'Ubano Magnetics in Australia. Smooth, a little thicker than vintage strat pups, while more focused than regular humbuckers, and totally quiet. Import "thinline" alder strat body and Allparts soft-v 7.25 neck, with wider vintage 2-7/32 bridge. And, my beautiful boy, Simon, RIP.

Last edited:

buzzword

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Nov 12, 2020
Los Angeles
I have both a Fender Ultra and an AmPro II tele, both great guitars and fun to play, but this partscaster tele I built with a Warmoth chambered body is the slinkiest, the one I play most often and would never part with, if I could keep only one guitar this would be the one.

IMG_3201.jpg

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
A few months ago I decided to assemble my first Partscaster in order to get exactly what I wanted in a strat. I was tempted to go the Mod Shop route but didn’t want to pay that price and not get exactly what I was looking for.

So here it is: maple neck with ebony fretboard and narrow tall frets, ice blue metallic body, locking tuners, vintage style neck and middle pickups with a hotter bridge, push/pull pot for activating the neck pickup, parchment pickguard.

The body is a Fender that I got used. The neck is from Warmoth, with SS frets, truss rod adjustment on the side (which works great) and their standard 10-16 compound radius and pre-installed nut. Fret markers are abalone. The pickups are Bootstrap Golden Ales, which I’m not loving so will try out other options.

Really the reason I’m posting this is to encourage anyone who has considered building a Partscaster but is a little unsure if you can do it: you can! My one suggestion would be don’t skimp on the neck. I went with Warmoth because of their great reputation and am glad I did.

View attachment 517724
Beautiful, nice job.

I’ve just ordered my first Warmoth, too. Even sprang for SS frets. It’s a 4-5 week wait, but that’s probably how long it’ll take me to get the body ready anyway.

StratAlchemist

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 28, 2010
Traveler
Mine always happen unintentional. I’ll finish one and say that’s it. Then find a sweet deal on another body, maybe a neck or even a pickguard. Then I get another vision of a traditional fender type but with my specs. I’m down to these three at the moment.
My version of a 59 Strat candy red, late 58 white blonde Strat and a 59 tele. It was supposed to be a white blonde 59 tele body but I couldn’t pass up the thinline body. View attachment 517801 View attachment 517802
Hey @Intune, when you sprayed the blonde did you buy a blonde specifc nitro or a Mary Kay white?

Caedarn

Strat-Talker
Feb 13, 2021
New England
Beautiful, nice job.

I’ve just ordered my first Warmoth, too. Even sprang for SS frets. It’s a 4-5 week wait, but that’s probably how long it’ll take me to get the body ready anyway.

Beautiful, nice job.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your build when you have it done. The SS fret upgrade from Warmoth is so cheap its really a no-brainer.

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-Talker
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS

View attachment 517724
😎😎😎

JimiisGod

Strat-Talker
Aug 25, 2014
Cal
One on my Parts projects was an Ice Blue one like yours'. Built it a long time ago. It too is a Warmoth.
Got the bug back in the early 90's about getting a Strat since I'd never had one. Bought one & got it home & wondered what made it tick? Wasn't exactly what I wanted & thought, I can make one more to my liking. So began the journey. Been building them since & have only one Fender Strat now that I bought in parts from a Tech & put it back to it's originality. It's been a fun ride, but I'm slowing down as I now have far too many Strats . . . lol

Shown here with a Bound Neck, but now has an unbound neck w/ a BRW board.
The bound neck looks sweet;)

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
I just finished this one a couple of days ago. Roasted ash body in shell pink and Roasted maple neck with rosewood slab. Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 'Bonnie' pups [get these if you can...they are gorgeous sounding and make everything I do with my fingers sound magical). Fender Custom Shop relic'd '64 hardware. Ashtray cover! Why doesn't EVERYONE use these?! It's transformational!
20220816_102516_resized.jpg 20220814_193746.jpg 20220817_075705.jpg 20220817_075807.jpg

tinkertoy

Strat-O-Master
Feb 10, 2020
In a state of sunshine
My two.

They are my best guitars and some of the very best I have played.

I didn't want to build a tele, but saw the body in warmoth's showcase back in '99. I fell in love with the top, and well, I guess I'm building a tele! It hasn't been modded from when I built it.

The strat was done in '09. The FCS would be happy to have charged a pretty penny to make it for me.

20210713_190809.jpg

My 3rd and final one just shipped today, in fact. It's gonna be a custom colored chamerbered mahogany VIP body with a short scale warmoth headstocked, 3a flamed maple neck.
I can't wait to build it and put it through its paces before I break it down and send it out for finishing. It'll take another few months to complete it from there.

All I need is the pickups now, as I have everything else. That is part of the reason I want to assemble it. To hear what it sounds like, so I can finalize my pickup choices.

I will post a NGD when I get it done.

tonedesign

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 6, 2012
Nashville, TN
Last year, I went in on a band saw, router and router table with my nephew who showed interest in helping me build guitars. I bought him some templates as well, and while it has resulted in only 1 original body so far (he works full time, plays in a touring band AND plays for a top sandlot baseball team here in Nashville, the Dolllys), he has become reasonably proficient at doing basic routing mods like pickup cavities, trem routes, and such.

His first real electric was a Squier 51, and though he hasn't played it in years, it does hold some sentimental value for him. He came to me and asked me what changes we could effect that would turn it into a more playable, better sounding instrument.

My first suggestion was to make it a string-through body since the stock top-loader cast bridge is a tone-destroyer (he was hoping to route it for a Floyd but since it's not, like many Squiers, a full depth body I didn't think that would work very well). The next obvious step was to upgrade the underpowered pickups, which I did with a Seymour Duncan TB-14 with a push-pull coil splitter, and a SD Red Devil single coil sized humbucker, He also wanted a 22 fret, rosewood board Strat style neck so I let him pick one out of my inventory.

He drilled the body for the string holes and ferrules and modified the neck pocket to accomodate a Strat heel, and I just finished assembling it.

20220825_161120.jpg
20220825_161126.jpg
20220825_161158.jpg
20220825_161216.jpg

Latest posts