Ima post this here. Guitar advice...oh dear.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Recently come into some money from horrible circumstance. Want to have a guitar that will remind me of Mom.
Looking at Paoletti in that ballpark.
You guys have any advice on unique strat types that can be a lifetime guitar? Open to any and all suggestions. Preferably something that wont take years to get.
Thanks
Not sure what your budget is, but this would be a keeper!

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon

The Guy that listed that is delusional on crack. (Actually gonna make an offer on it)
Oh dear, now it seems as if I am delusional:rolleyes:

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal

He said in the ballpark of Paoletti, so somewhere in the $4000 range.
Not going to get a vintage in good enough shape to remember mom at that range.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
I added it to my cart.
Lol.
Been thinkin and gonna talk to Ron Kirn and see if he can make me a set of twins. A hardtail strat and a tele in Green Go and black hardware.
Mom was always given me crap about my car. Its Green Go TA challenger.
She would use the blues brothers line and modify it.
" I,ll be damned, its that **** box green dodge again! "

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
I added it to my cart.
Lol.
Been thinkin and gonna talk to Ron Kirn and see if he can make me a set of twins. A hardtail strat and a tele in Green Go and black hardware.
Mom was always given me crap about my car. Its Green Go TA challenger.
She would use the blues brothers line and modify it.
" I,ll be damned, its that **** box green dodge again! "
It might be cool to have that on the neckplate? You could get it lazer engraved… somewhere like here:

I did a quick mockup of what it could be like? I hope you don’t mind…

backplate-05.png

I don’t make these obviously, but I can design - so if you wanted any help / other, I’d be happy to help. One idea I had… you can see I have ‘— Mom’ at the bottom, in a handwritten script… for example, if you had say… an old Birthday card, or Christmas card - you could take a photo from above of her handwriting ‘Mom’, or whatever - and it would be no trouble (from my end anyway) to convert and incorporate that into the file, which would be uploaded to the above website? Just a thought – I don’t mean to intrude, but happy to help if it’s something you’d like to do – just let me know, now, three months into the future - whenever 👍

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
It might be cool to have that on the neckplate? You could get it lazer engraved… somewhere like here:

I did a quick mockup of what it could be like? I hope you don’t mind…

View attachment 572451

I don’t make these obviously, but I can design - so if you wanted any help / other, I’d be happy to help. One idea I had… you can see I have ‘— Mom’ at the bottom, in a handwritten script… for example, if you had say… an old Birthday card, or Christmas card - you could take a photo from above of her handwriting ‘Mom’, or whatever - and it would be no trouble (from my end anyway) to convert and incorporate that into the file, which would be uploaded to the above website? Just a thought – I don’t mean to intrude, but happy to help if it’s something you’d like to do – just let me know, now, three months into the future - whenever 👍
@believer has custom neckplates with his better half on them. Perhaps a favorite photo of Mom along with that caption?

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Try building something, and maybe get someone off eBay to engrave the neck plate or something. I'm sorry for your loss, and I think this could be a good way to commemorate
Engraved neck plates are a great touch. Calfaric (no affiliation... only a happy customer) does fantastic work with actual pictures.
My wife
20190825_212441.jpg
My two boys
20201029_204129.jpg
I also have another one I'm waiting to unveil.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
THAT would be cool. To have the engraved plate. This is a big deal/decision for me. So I want to research and mull it over a bit. It will be a couple weeks at least.
Again really appreciate the input.
I would go for something high end from a known builder, Fender CS, or even a higher end production model like an American Original.
Warmoth and parts builds can be fun, but ultimately, they are partscasters and, as used guitars go, not really worth much.
Fender style guitars are easy to assemble from parts, but there is a reason that parts assembled in China sell for $80 to $200 (even under the Fender banner) and parts assembled by the Custom Shop are $3500+
There is more to setting up and building a quality guitar than bolting parts together and hanging strings on it.

You can still do a custom engraved neckplate in her honor and install it on any Fender style build with a bolt-on neck (other than a G&L).
I bought my Gibson R4 after I lost my mom at the end of March.

Nadnitram

THAT would be cool. To have the engraved plate. This is a big deal/decision for me. So I want to research and mull it over a bit. It will be a couple weeks at least.
If I were in your place, the engraved neckplate would really mean something to me, especially with the personal message on it.

My dad passed in 2013. We planted a tree in our backyard for him, sprinkling some of his ashes in the hole the day it was planted. It continues to be daily reminder of him and a source of comfort. I can't ask for more than that.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
I would choose anything Ron Kirn has built or can build for you as a first choice. Otherwise here are some Suhr models that Wildwood has in stock now.

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
Regarding the neck plate... as I say - if you want somebody to design it, whatever you want, or whatever you can think of - I'm happy to help, just let me know. Or not - whatever's cool, I honestly don't want to intrude - just want you to know I'm happy to help, if you want it - that's all 👍