I received... the wrong guitar?

Zeka_

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 27, 2022
Belgium
This was listed as brand new
Wow is that odd, I’d say body swap except for the sculpted heel wouldn't be correct…. FSR maybe..but at the least the sellers site would have it listed as an option.
imtend to agree for now see where this rabbet hole goes…could be some strange 1 of and worth something?
very odd indeed. I assume this was not a return and was bought as new?
Definitly not a listed FSR or known FSR by google searches. That said, it was bought/listed as new. The serial number look-up tells me march, 2022.

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
I can’t see a variation in the story line where this guitar would be worth anything more than an American pro II

Zeka_

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 27, 2022
Belgium
I agree. If anything, it's less. I was mainly interested in how this happened. I order a dark night strat, and get an ash butterscotch blonde one that is otherwise 100% correct pro II. I'll swap it in the shop though.
I can’t see a variation in the story line where this guitar would be worth anything more than an American pro II

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I know that, my player tele is an FSR. But these guys don't do it. And definitly should A) list it if so & B) check what they sent to customers, always.

The serial number shows me a normal dark night strat too though...
Was the guitar shipped in a Fender package?
As opposed to a Joes music store package?
Maybe hey did not unbox it for inspection before shipping it to you?
The suggestion by @John C seems plausible.
It's probably an error on Fender's part. I posted over on your thread on TDPRI as well.

It definitely looks like an ash body in BSB; it was probably supposed to be an FSR for some retailer somewhere in the world. At some point Fender must have "assigned" that neck with that serial number to a Dark Night Strat at some point so the bar code stickers that go on the shipping box stated that it's a Dark Night Strat. Then in assembly it was put on the BSB ash body and the stickers were never changed; it was just boxed and shipped.

Fender's lookup lists it as an American Pro II Dark Night/maple fingerboard. That database will match the stickers on the shipping box - it is my understanding that these days the data for the searchable database is "entered" when the bar code on the box is scanned when it either goes into the warehouse or when it leaves the warehouse.

It's worth checking into this with Fender; see if someone is doing an FSR run of Pro II Strats with BSB ash bodies.

sisq61

Strat-Talker
Jul 8, 2017
Barcelona
It's 'bax music'. I once ordered an expensive guitar there too which I absolely LOVED, but it arrived broken (electronics). So I sent it back and after a while they sold it again as B-stock, claiming it was fixed. I loved that guitar (it had the most gorgeous flamed neck I ever saw on a tele) so I ordered it again and it arrived broken AGAIN, never fixed.
Once I bought a NEW amp from them. What arrived was clearly a B-STOCK. Back it went and Bax is now in my "never again" list.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Hi all,
I ordered a fender stratocastor professional II with maple neck in de "dark night" color through an online webshop.

And today, it arrived. I was VERY shocked to find out upon opening the case I had received a... butterscotch blonde stratocaster.

Not only did I receive the wrong color, the pro II doesn´t even exist in this color!
I looked up the serial nummer and it brings me to a dark night, maple neck pro II strat as ordered. It also comes with the pickguard, knobs, backplate, trem block, neck attachment plate and neck from the pro II.

I then thought someone maybe ordered the guitar, took the body and bolted the rest to a cheap/useless body to send it back but.. the body HAS the pro II contour heel carve AND matches exactly in dimensions next to my pro II limited edition...

Can someone explain this?

Hope to hear from yall!

Why haven't you emailed fender yet? That's the first thing I'd have done. 2nd. I'd keep that guitar in case it's rare because of the color.

SalmonToast

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 23, 2022
England
It's a strange one. Only BSB Strats I can find were from the original Am Pro 1 series.

I have seen factory errors before though. One guy got a maple neck on an American original Tele that didn't come with maple necks. He was quite happy with it.

Also have been curious about Bax for a while, they usually have hard to find stuff in stock and often at a good price. Cheers for stopping me from wasting time and money there.

Zeka_

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 27, 2022
Belgium
It's a strange one. Only BSB Strats I can find were from the original Am Pro 1 series.

I have seen factory errors before though. One guy got a maple neck on an American original Tele that didn't come with maple necks. He was quite happy with it.

Also have been curious about Bax for a while, they usually have hard to find stuff in stock and often at a good price. Cheers for stopping me from wasting time and money there.
That is why I shop there. But their in-store service has been horrible every time. Once I bought a guitar that arrived non-functionel But I loved the looks. Sent it back, got refund. Month later that specfic guitar was supposedly fixed and sold again online, so I bought it again. Paid full price, arrived again... Still broken, same issues. Sent it back AGAIN and one of their repairtechs called me and was annoyed that I Sent Back a guitar that he fixed. I mean...?!

The only good thing about them is the big stock and you can apparantly refund ANYTHING (even if you do a body swap ^^^)

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
That is why I shop there. But their in-store service has been horrible every time. Once I bought a guitar that arrived non-functionel But I loved the looks. Sent it back, got refund. Month later that specfic guitar was supposedly fixed and sold again online, so I bought it again. Paid full price, arrived again... Still broken, same issues. Sent it back AGAIN and one of their repairtechs called me and was annoyed that I Sent Back a guitar that he fixed. I mean...?!

The only good thing about them is the big stock and you can apparantly refund ANYTHING (even if you do a body swap ^^^)

Well you don't appear to be that curious but I am, so I emailed Fender, with pics, and asked them about your guitar. Hopefully they respond before next Tuesday. At the rate they've been replying lately, I doubt it'll be any sooner.

Zeka_

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 27, 2022
Belgium
Well you don't appear to be that curious but I am, so I emailed Fender, with pics, and asked them about your guitar. Hopefully they respond before next Tuesday. At the rate they've been replying lately, I doubt it'll be any sooner.
Let me know if you need any more pics or better pics. :)

Roger66

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 21, 2021
Port Hueneme
Hi all,
I ordered a fender stratocastor professional II with maple neck in de "dark night" color through an online webshop.

And today, it arrived. I was VERY shocked to find out upon opening the case I had received a... butterscotch blonde stratocaster.

Not only did I receive the wrong color, the pro II doesn´t even exist in this color!
I looked up the serial nummer and it brings me to a dark night, maple neck pro II strat as ordered. It also comes with the pickguard, knobs, backplate, trem block, neck attachment plate and neck from the pro II.

I then thought someone maybe ordered the guitar, took the body and bolted the rest to a cheap/useless body to send it back but.. the body HAS the pro II contour heel carve AND matches exactly in dimensions next to my pro II limited edition...

Can someone explain this?

Hope to hear from yall!
I LIKE IT!

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
At least you can return it even if we never solve the mystery. The idea that someone bought it before you and swapped the body seems possible but that would take some balls.