I have a guitar with HH configuration, I want to convert it to HS config.

Keith__adams

New Member!
Mar 3, 2018
Malta
I have a guitar with HH configuration, I want to convert it to HS config. I want to make the three blade switch in positions, down bridge, up neck and middle humbucker and neck together. I have two singlecoil pickups came from an HSS guitar so they neck and middle pickups. the problem is I don't know which one was neck and middle pickups and also they have no magnets but I Intent to fix some neodimium magnets to the bottom of the slugs. Does the magnet polarity and winding direction matters?

DonP

Strat-Talker
Sep 15, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I have a guitar with HH configuration, I want to convert it to HS config. I want to make the three blade switch in positions, down bridge, up neck and middle humbucker and neck together. I have two singlecoil pickups came from an HSS guitar so they neck and middle pickups. the problem is I don't know which one was neck and middle pickups and also they have no magnets but I Intent to fix some neodimium magnets to the bottom of the slugs. Does the magnet polarity and winding direction matters?

Wiring up an H-S the way you mention will not be a problem.

Getting a single with no magnets to work - that may be a problem. Using those magnets might sound great...or might not.

The polarity and winding direction WILL matter only in the MIDDLE switch position. If you get it wrong, it may sound like what comes out of a dog.

Since you have provided no info on which humbucker or what singles you plan on using, you are in trial and error mode. There are 4 possible ways to use the wires and magnets on a single.

Good luck.

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
I have a Vantage Les Paul so I wanted to see what it would sound like tricked out. I decided to put a Fender pickup in the neck pickup shell and I did some modern wiring to the Epiphone Bridge pickup that I had previously installed in the Vantage. The fender pole pieces lined up perfectly with the pole piece holes in the HB cover.

I took an old after market Strat pickup and tore it apart. I took the cover of the HB neck pickup and glued the Strat coil into it with melted wax using a heat gun. Then I took the two leads from the strat pickup and rewired it with 2 wire + gnd cable. I insulated the new connections with shrink tubing and soldered the shield to the old HB base. Then I soldered shield to the mounting plate of the HB cover. I wired this pickup to a phase switch.

1 Strat pickup parts .JPG

2 Strat pickup mounbted .JPG

3 Single peeking out of HB cover .JPG

I used a 2+Shield running out of the pickup to the switch. I soldered the gnd to the bottom of the HB pickup base plate and then soldered the base plate back on to the HB pickup cover. I tried several newer Strat pickups and some of those can be mounted the same way but the edges of the bobbin need to be shaved a little. Just match the holes with the pole pieces to make sure you get a good fit, and use a neck or middle pickup single coil that matches the holes in the HB.

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
When you say the pickups have no magnets are you saying that at one point they had magnets that have gone missing?

Some single coil pickups have external magnets but with many single coil pickups the metal poles are the magnets.

If you have a multi meter measure the resistance. Whichever is higher is likely your middle pickup.

If you're going to pair only one of those single coils with the Humbucker then it doesn't matter which was the middle or which was the neck.

Keith__adams

New Member!
Mar 3, 2018
Malta
re going to pair only one of those
When you say the pickups have no magnets are you saying that at one point they had magnets that have gone missing?

Some single coil pickups have external magnets but with many single coil pickups the metal poles are the magnets.

If you have a multi meter measure the resistance. Whichever is higher is likely your middle pickup.

If you're going to pair only one of those single coils with the Humbucker then it doesn't matter which was the middle or which was the neck.
they had ceramic magnets but I removed them a long time ago and didn't make a note of the polarity. I intent to use the neodimium magnets.

I measured the end lugs and it says 48mm so it is clear that it is a neck pickup.

so you are saying that with a bridge humbucker and the neck single coil it doesnt matter the single coil winding and magnet polarity?

TrackerDan

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 10, 2012
N. California
This guitar started out as a Fender Fat Stratocaster Texas special I couldn't get the single coils to balance well with the Pearly Gates, so on a whim I purchased a pickguard array from an early 2000's USA Double Fat Stratocaster. It balanced immediately and gave me enough versatility in the other switch positions. This is my go to guitar. It has a Fender roller nut and a hipshot tremsetter installed. I have a gig in a week and I am looking forward to it.

Attachments

• Stratocaster My one and only Front.jpg
    Stratocaster My one and only Front.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts