I get a strange metallic ping on my Gibson ES-355

The Ballzz

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 26, 2014
LAS VEGAS , NV
I would try some lube at the string contact point of the saddles. My preferred lube is white lithium grease, with enough powdered graphite to almost make it clumpy. If you get too much graphite in it to make it "clumpy", simply add enough more white lithium to smooth it out to a nice, creamy paste!
Just My Ways,
Gene

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I'm pretty certain the wire is the culprit. Have you tried putting a little sampling material (anything soft, like a very small piece of felt will do) to see if the 'ping' goes away? If it does, you could just throw the wire away!

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
It may not be related to the OP's specific issue, but my ES-335 pings because a nut with seemingly random string locations has a string that touches a tuner post above the nut. The resulting 'pinging' took a lot of thinking and examination because I didn't initially consider that the cause could be coming from somewhere above the nut.

Nate D

Dr. Stratster
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
I don't even have a wire on mine. It just means you need to be a little careful when changing strings, although a breakage on stage could get a bit awkward if you didn't see where the saddle pinged off to. @Nate D, Stewmac sells a replacement wire for $1.46. Or if you're hardly with pliers, you should be able to take the kink out. https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...-wire-for-original-abr-1-tune-o-matic-bridge/
Do you have a wireless ABR on your -335? That’s what I have on one of my other -335’s and the bridge is dead quiet.

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
On my -355 I get this weird metallic ping most noticeably on the G string, but definitely present on the B and High E as well. It even has the ping if you play a note very staccato. The guitar has a bigsby and the ping seems to come somewhere from the bridge.

Any other Gibson type users come across this issue and have a trouble shooting suggestions?

That's a Gibson "alarm" to tell you to ship your 355 to me (just PM me for directions).

Currently our turnaround time for the service is...

...well...

NEVER. When you put your guitar in the case and box it up, be sure to kiss it goodbye.

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Do you have a wireless ABR on your -335? That’s what I have on one of my other -335’s and the bridge is dead quiet.
Yes, Nate. It's a Rusty Anderson model, and he insisted it was a 59 period-correct replica of his own 335. That said, I've had other Gibsons with the wire, and never had a problem.

TConnelly

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2016
Sandy, Or.
I have a hollow body with a Bigsby. It had the same kind of noise and I swore it was coming from the bridge. Turned out it was the bridge pickup vibrating in the mounting ring. It would only do it on the G string, 12th or 13th fret. Not even the same notes on the D or B strings. Finally played the same notes with the guitar upside down and the noise was gone. Finally traced it to the pickup. Jammed a small piece of heat shrink tube in there and it's been quiet ever since. Good luck.
Cheers...................................Todd