How perfect does it have to be?

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
I dunno. I strive for perfection and never get there.

I recorded a cd with my band in the 90s. I can hear so many things I would go back and fix. Whenever I share it with people they are polite but never excited so, meh. I still like it.

I dunno. Im much much pickier than I used to be so, consequently dont "release" anything.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
Who owns the master recording? That is where the permission/license lies.
My understanding is that the combo owns all the stuff, they were going to release through Distrokid to get it on the services and after it became available on Steam with the video game, wait, I will just quote: "just not to the standard we hold ourselves, could have been so much better but was too rushed"

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I dunno. I strive for perfection and never get there.

I recorded a cd with my band in the 90s. I can hear so many things I would go back and fix. Whenever I share it with people they are polite but never excited so, meh. I still like it.

I dunno. Im much much pickier than I used to be so, consequently dont "release" anything.
I'll assume you have heard a thing of two that I have done.... :D and it might not be a safe assumption, but for me, if the tune is getting across what I want to get across and is not annoying in some way, I don't have a problem putting my name on it.

"and I would do it again, officer..."

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
I can record a song in a couple hours and then spend 60 hours messing with it and comping/retaking vocals and hours trying to record a guitar solo, which is why I usually farm them out to others. I guess I keep at it until I hear nothing major that sounds off to me - still not perfect though. I hope all 4 people who bought my cd enjoy my dedication to quality and near perfection..........

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Please allow me to rephrase: Doesn't have to be perfect, I just have to like it.

TP
This is a good answer.

I do think that's possible that the young people are worried about quality due to being a bunch of music majors in a good program in a field that is often pretty competitive. They are going to be in second year of the program in the fall and perhaps since they are younger they feel a need to be as good as the other students and their professors who are, in some cases, just flat out monster artists.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I don’t think I’ve ever released anything that I was 100% happy with. I record most of my videos as a single take performance and with that often comes flubs as I don’t have the time or patience to do dozens of takes. I try to pick my best one even if it has a mistake.

Admittedly though I’ve listened back to performances that make me cringe but for the most part, it is what it is. It’s not like I’m selling anything.

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
My production skills have greatly increased over the years. If I go back and listen to songs we produced 10 years ago, I immediately hear things that I would now have improved. It’s a bit like ear training in music, it comes with practice.

For me to release a song or call it finished, it’s simply to the best of my production skills at this time. However, a great performance beats a great production every time.

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
If it's a cover of fairground attraction, then yes, it has to bee ee ee ee ee ee ee, perfect!

Bowmap

Redacted
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
X
Perfection is a moment in time. Tomorrow it maybe something different. Chase your excellence not someones perception of perfection. Perfection is rare in nature. But the flaws we see are excellent.