How much is this strat worth?

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
That is the only way you are going to find a "good investment" in any Fender guitar today.

You might do better with a current Gibson Custom Shop model. The "R" series historics/reissues hold their value pretty well, and can be had for comparatively reasonable amounts.
But they still aren't cheap, and there's no guarantee that you'll ever get your money back.
I paid $5k for my R4

View attachment 572146
I really don't get the "holds it's value" thing. Nothing "holds it's value" other than real estate.

Seriously. Buy a new car, guitar, washer/dryer, TV, iphone, whatever. Try and sell it a year later and see if you make your money back. Hint: you won't.

That's why I shake my head every time someone says Fenders/Gibsons/etc "hold their value". They don't.

YMMV

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I really don't get the "holds it's value" thing. Nothing "holds it's value" other than real estate.

Seriously. Buy a new car, guitar, washer/dryer, TV, iphone, whatever. Try and sell it a year later and see if you make your money back. Hint: you won't.

That's why I shake my head every time someone says Fenders/Gibsons/etc "hold their value". They don't.

YMMV
True. You could make money if you buy a used guitar at a great price, and then resell it. I bought and sold about six or seven guitars, starting in 2019. It might have just been a fluke of a time with COVID and Fender reducing their ash guitar output (discontinued the ash BSB Vintera ‘50s Tele Modified), but I bought several Vintera Telecaster Modifieds and Baja Teles, and 2 Vintage’52 Hot Rod Teles (I guess you could say I specialized in butterscotch blonde Telecasters.) I made about $150-$300 on each after the fees and shipping costs. Then I realized it wasn’t near worth the effort and mental anguish (constantly checking Reverb and eBay, will it sell?Maybe I made a mistake…).

Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
True. You could make money if you buy a used guitar at a great price, and then resell it. I bought and sold about six or seven guitars, starting in 2019. It might have just been a fluke of a time with COVID and Fender reducing their ash guitar output (discontinued the ash BSB Vintera ‘50s Tele Modified), but I bought several Vintera Telecaster Modifieds and Baja Teles, and 2 Vintage’52 Hot Rod Teles (I guess you could say I specialized in butterscotch blonde Telecasters.) I made about $150-$300 on each after the fees and shipping costs. Then I realized it wasn’t near worth the effort and mental anguish (constantly checking Reverb and eBay, will it sell?Maybe I made a mistake…).
Flipping used guitars is a different thing than buying new guitars.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Flipping used guitars is a different thing than buying new guitars.
Exactly.
I have this theory, tell me if you think it’s right. Once you drive a new guitar off the lot, it decreases in value about $200-$300 dollars if you wanted to sell it right then or within about 2 years. Then it drops about another $200 and stays at that price for a long time, like 10-20 years.

Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Exactly.
I have this theory, tell me if you think it’s right. Once you drive a new guitar off the lot, it decreases in value about $200-$300 dollars if you wanted to sell it right then or within about 2 years. Then it drops about another $200 and stays at that price for a long time, like 10-20 years.
The actual dollar amount depends on the guitar. I personally don't take the age into factor at all (excepting the "vintage" market). My rule is generally any used guitar is worth 60% of the new retail price. Of course depending on condition, it could be less, but for the most part, I stick to that 60% rule.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
i guess you live in USA and I am in Europe, where everything is different
Europeans have EBay though right. ? I’ve bought a lot of items over the years from sellers in Europe. So I imagine Europeans can purchase things from over here as well. The only killer…. is shipping costs. Sometimes this comes to as much as the cost of the item purchased.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
The ”Stratocaster” decal is on top of what appears to be a sticker. Is it American, MIJ or MIM? Never mind I can now see the serial number now that I am not on my phone?

77 SN. Looks good. Couldn’t tell if it is real MIA or not.
Below the letters TOC in the word Stratocaster are the words “made in USA “. But that could be fake

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
The only killer…. is shipping costs
That's not quite accurate. Buying from the US, or anywhere else outside the EU, is expensive. There's the price of the item, the price of shipping, customs fees and onbtop of all that, VAT.

I was looking at getting a Warmoth neck a while back. The neck itself was $245, shipping was $80. Add customs and VAT to that and the $245 neck would have ended up costing me $420.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal

YMMV
The CBS era strats have maintained against inflation overall.
A '78 was $600, and they currently sell for around $2500, which is right about where $600 invested on a fund that follows inflation would be today.
Not making any money, but not losing any either, thus, holding its value.
Anything made after 1980? Not likely, certainly not short term... and even the CBS models were down for a long time.

And that's the problem with thinking of guitars as investment.
They *might* hold their value against inflation
They *might* actually appreciate
They *might* end up being effectively worthless.

Nobody can predict what's going to happen and it's foolish to think of them as any kind of investment.
Historical market performance on commodities is not a good predictor of the future.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
the inflation will be 10 % per year for few years....so anything you buy today is better than holding cash...i see no better time in the future to buy guitars....the price will skyrocket even higher
If inflation continues at 10% per year, the market for any guitar costing more than $400 is going to dry up.
Your $3,000 "investment" won't be worth firewood.
The only market will be wealthy collectors, and they aren't going to be interested in anything on the open market today.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
That's not quite accurate. Buying from the US, or anywhere else outside the EU, is expensive. There's the price of the item, the price of shipping, customs fees and onbtop of all that, VAT.

I was looking at getting a Warmoth neck a while back. The neck itself was $245, shipping was $80. Add customs and VAT to that and the $245 neck would have ended up costing me $420.
When I have purchased items from overseas sellers. I have had to pay for the item and shipping and taxes. NO custom charge. So it must work differently for. Imports in Europe than it does in the states. But I have seen an 80 dollar shipping charge on a 40 dollar item. So maybe the customs charge is part of the shipping. ? But at other times the shipping on a 40 dollar item has been 20 dollars. So I don’t know.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
The actual dollar amount depends on the guitar. I personally don't take the age into factor at all (excepting the "vintage" market). My rule is generally any used guitar is worth 60% of the new retail price. Of course depending on condition, it could be less, but for the most part, I stick to that 60% rule.
But you are looking at it from a player's perspective.

Look at it from the perspective of an "investor" like the OP 🤣 🤣 🤣

All of the investor jokes from the 80s are coming back to mind.

What's the difference between a pigeon and a investment banker guitar collector?
The pigeon can still leave a deposit on a Mercedes.

How many investment bankers guitar collectors can you get in the back of a pickup?
Only two, you need room for the lawn mowers.