How many hours you think it would take to learn to play ambidextrous?

hours to larn to play ambidextrous?

• Total voters

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Justin Guitar did tbis when I was starting out, IIRC. Using his own course materials to show how well they work or something. I've not been back since then so I have no idea how it turned out or how long it took him, which I'm now curious about.

I've tried to play a few things left handed. It was just to see if it's actually easier to fret with the right hand since I'm right handed. Most people that don't play usually assume that it'd be easier to use your dominant hand to fret with so I was curious and wanted to see for myself.

Being that I just started playing in Dec 2019, I can remember exactly what it was like to learn those first few months, barely able to fret notes correctly and all.

I don't remember it being that difficult when I learned initially. Not like it was when I tried to play left-handed.

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
More than half of the best hand-eye athletes I played with growing up were lefties. Which is significant, because only about 10 percent of the population is left handed. And while I think you can definitely attribute ambidextrous fine-motor skills and strength to them growing up in a right-handed world, I've never been convinced that contributed so strongly to their hand/eye coordination. I assumed--perhaps wrongly--that the wiring itself had something to do with several strengths/weaknesses compared to right-handed people.

Another thing I realized when I was older, but could just be a coincidence, was that three of my left-handed childhood friends (who were all great athletes) struggled in school. I found out years later that two of them were diagnosed in their late teens as having dyslexia and one went on to get a college degree and excelled. And on hindsight, all three of them probably had ADHD. So I googled it just now and there is some research that supports a greater likelihood of those disorders, although I was right handed and most certainly had ADHD. None of us ever heard of either dyslexia nor ADHD in the '60s but I did somehow start drinking coffee at an early age, which seemed to significantly help my concentration and calm me. My mother was always surprised it didn't have the opposite effect.

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
I just posted this in the thread "You righty's are lucky", but thought it was appropriate here.

As for the time it takes to do this? I have no idea. I have enough trouble playing right handed.

I long ago worked with a guy that was left handed, but he could play any guitar or bass either way, weather it was strung with the low E on top or on the bottom. Any guitar, left handed or right handed.
I asked him how he learned that and he told me his uncle taught him guitar, his uncle was left handed. He taught him to play right handed first, on a guitar that was strung conventionally. The reasoning behind this was that if he were ever in a position to where there was a guitar sitting around at a party or jam or wherever, it would most likely be strung conventionaly and therefore he would be able to play it.
Being left handed naturally, he learned the other positions on his own being more comfortable playing in the left hand position. Although he could play in any position,he chose to play in the left hand position when he played in public. I was always, and still am, impressed with this.
He played bass in a Denver band called "KYTE" in the late 70's, early 80's. Any one ever heard of them?

Firewood

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 21, 2020
Massachusetts
Honestly, I think it would depend on how ambidextrous you are to begin with.

I'm not 100% ambidextrous, but there are a lot of things I can do with either hand without giving it much thought. Then there are other things I can only do with my right hand or left hand.

I've always played guitar right handed and never gave any thought to it.

Many years ago I had a work colleague that was getting into playing and bought a junky electric to learn on. It had a few issues so he asked me if I could take a look at it for them. When he brought it to me it was left handed, which I thought was odd since I never saw him use his left hand for anything. But that was what felt comfortable to him.

Anyway, I had the thing for about a week while I went through it and cleaned it up and made sure everything was working and it was playable. Of course I had to try playing it, and I discovered that I could pick / strum with my left hand no problem, but fretting with the right and just felt weird. However during that short time I had the guitar I was able to learn all of the basic open chord shapes and even strum out a few simple songs without any issues.

Never picked up a lefty guitar after that.

diogoguitar

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2012
Northwest US
hey there -
so I just wanted to circle back as I did a little bit of experiment with my guitar unplugged. I flipped one of my lefty guitars to righty playing... I only tried for like 5mins, but I could see some progress. The one thing that bothered me is all of the controls getting in the way (knobs, tremolo arm, etc.).
Forearm ocntour isn't favorable either. I remember how annoying was to play sitting my tele double binding without the forearm contour lol

I guess for me to really try, i'ts better to just get a cheapo right handed guitar

diogoguitar

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2012
Northwest US
also, I tried my LP just out of curiosity and ironically was the most comfortable to play upside down.
I guess fender just has too flat of a top for people playing it upside down while LP has a more carved top, which helps a bit the forearm to rest

Elvie

Strat-O-Master
Jan 26, 2014
-
Possibly not that long. I can write legibly with either hand. Without the cultural bias that existed when I was a child, I'd probably have been left-handed.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
Possibly not that long. I can write legibly with either hand. Without the cultural bias that existed when I was a child, I'd probably have been left-handed.
May I ask where you were raised?
I know several West Indians that endured this 'conversion'.

Elvie

Strat-O-Master
Jan 26, 2014
-
I'm ethnic Chinese but I grew up in the Philippines. The Schools there are predominantly controlled by the Catholic faith and left-handers were considered willful or rebellious. I was persuaded rather than forced to write like everyone else.