How do you guys lubricate your brass nut?

MalmsteenLover666

New Member!
Nov 13, 2022
Duncan Donuts
I gotta say, this YJM Stratocaster is BY FAR the best guitar I've ever owned. I've owned USA Jacksons (pre Fender, the good ones), so my standard is sky high. This guitar is truly a players guitar; it compromises nothing. Tuning stability and intonation is PERFECT if you have the dexterity to handle the light string gauge, high action and scalloped fretboard. The pickups are nasty where you want them to be, but buttery smooth on the lows and screeching at the highs. If you're on the fence about buying a new, expensive stratocaster, get the Yngwie Malmsteen signature.

I got two complaints though

1. It didn't come set up in Eb tuning, which is quite stupid. I was reasonably annoyed that I had to set up my brand new $2000 dollar guitar, but at least it was easy to set up

2. It doesn't use Malmsteen's signature string gauge. I don't understand why it is like this, especially because his signature string is Fender brand. The brass nut is cut for 9 gauge, so you risk losing tuning stability if you switch over to his hybrids. For reference, Malmsteen uses a .46 bottom and a .8 top.

It isn't ? Then what is it ?

WD-40 themselves state that "....protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything"
Idk how to describe WD-40 cus its a really weird product. It's like a bandage, really good for when you need something quick, but nothing more than a stopgap for a serious injury.

I use WD-40 for STRIPPING lubricant when working on cars. If you just need to quickly lubricate something, it works. But if you want to lubricate something for more than an hour, like a bike chain or a door hinge, you need something purpose built. I personally use White Lithium grease for anything that is metal on metal, or metal on plastic.

Last edited:

Clickitysplit

Strat-O-Master
May 25, 2021
Temecula, CA
WD-40 seems like it should be guitar safe since it’s believed to be mostly naphtha, which we know is a great solvent (I detailed my motorcycles with WD-40 for years), but I might test it on a guitar that’s not so precious. I would think the Dunlop 65 string conditioner should work - just daub it on there.

MalmsteenLover666

New Member!
Nov 13, 2022
Duncan Donuts
WD-40 seems like it should be guitar safe since it’s believed to be mostly naphtha, which we know is a great solvent (I detailed my motorcycles with WD-40 for years), but I might test it on a guitar that’s not so precious. I would think the Dunlop 65 string conditioner should work - just daub it on there.
I'm sure WD-40 is guitar safe, but I wouldn't recommend it as a long term lubricant solution for anything. It will become ineffective far sooner than you change strings

felis

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 27, 2013
Antwerp/Belgium
Not, never lubed them, both +40 years old.
ST100.jpg

TE80R.jpg