Hilariously bad relic jobs ruining decent guitars - Pictures please!

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
View attachment 573236
View attachment 573237

Rekked/damaged 2021 body? Check!
"Squier" taken off the headstock? Check!
Downgraded Wilkinson "vintage" tuners? Double-check!

"Stand out in the crowd with this 2021 Relic Squier Mustang Telecaster electric guitar relic'd by Nate's Relic Guitars."

Say Nate: That's not a Telecaster.

Good news is that he's being quite reasonable with his price. This guitar, in vastly superior new condition with a warranty, sells for $179 shipped at MusiciansFriend. Nate only wants $640 (including shipping) for this trainwreck of a Tele Mustang. Let's all "watch" it and see if anyone on Planet eBay is that dumb. Given that this isn't Nate's first rodeo, methinks there is, tragically.
Here is another relic he is selling at the moment besides the the "Tele Mustang." Hey I've got time on my hands, so I'm off out to look for some cheap guitars I can make some British Pounds on! :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175287903326?hash=item28cff9245e:g:~G0AAOSwGT1ihpq9

Epiphone Relic.jpeg

somebodyelseuk

Strat-O-Master
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
I really wish I could find a picture of it, but Robert Smith of the Cure played a Jazzmaster in the '80s that was far beyond 'relic' status... Would be hilarious if Fender ever did a tribute model.

M300

New Member!
Jul 14, 2022
Parkersburg WV
View attachment 573236
View attachment 573237

Rekked/damaged 2021 body? Check!
"Squier" taken off the headstock? Check!
Downgraded Wilkinson "vintage" tuners? Double-check!

"Stand out in the crowd with this 2021 Relic Squier Mustang Telecaster electric guitar relic'd by Nate's Relic Guitars."

Say Nate: That's not a Telecaster.

Good news is that he's being quite reasonable with his price. This guitar, in vastly superior new condition with a warranty, sells for $179 shipped at MusiciansFriend. Nate only wants $640 (including shipping) for this trainwreck of a Tele Mustang. Let's all "watch" it and see if anyone on Planet eBay is that dumb. Given that this isn't Nate's first rodeo, methinks there is, tragically.
Hi, thanks everyone. I did the relic on this Mustang. The listing description accidently said "Mustang Telecaster"... was just a typo error, thanks so much for pointing that out. It's OK if you don't like it, don't buy it, simple solution. Why is it listed for such a high price for just being a Squier Mustang? The guitar cost me around $160 with shipping and tax. The materials: Tuners, pickup covers, new strings, Nitro Clear Finish, gig bag, guitar shipping box, shipping tape and bubble wrap cost around $80. Commission to Reverb or Ebay is around 8-10%, that's about $50. That makes the total cost to me about $290 and a profit of $285 (if I don't accept an offer or reduce the price). I spend an average of 30 hours on a relic which includes Fretboard leveling, fret crowning/polishing, fret end rounding, rolled fretboard edges, sanding, relicing, tinting the neck, relicing all the hardware, hand painting the pickguard, nitro clear coating the neck and body, re-assembly, set-up, intonation, packing and shipping the guitar. So, That's about $9.50 per hour on this one. I have sold around 660 relic guitars and probably 50 of these Mustangs. They usually sell quickly. I work usually 12 hours per day doing a job I love. I sold 100 relic guitars last year for a total of $75,000, so I am able to make a living and support my family doing these. I sell Squiers to offer a more affordable model, most of mine are around $950-1,400 and are custom made models and Fenders. Many buyers are repeat customers and by 2-5 of my relics. I welcome you to read my feedback from happy customers. To the negative critics: show me a picture of a relic guitar you did. I would love to see it, I will not insult your work because I would not waste my time insulting others. I am busy doing something positive with my time. -Nate

Last edited:

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
Hi, thanks everyone. I did the relic on this Mustang. The listing description accidently said "Mustang Telecaster"... was just a typo error, thanks so much for pointing that out. It's OK if you don't like it, don't buy it, simple solution. Why is it listed for such a high price for just being a Squier Mustang? The guitar cost me around $160 with shipping and tax. The materials: Tuners, pickup covers, new strings, Nitro Clear Finish, gig bag, guitar shipping box, shipping tape and bubble wrap cost around $80. Commission to Reverb or Ebay is around 8-10%, that's about $50. That makes the total cost to me about $290 and a profit of $285 (if I don't accept an offer or reduce the price). I spend an average of 30 hours on a relic which includes Fretboard leveling, fret crowning/polishing, fret end rounding, rolled fretboard edges, sanding, relicing, tinting the neck, relicing all the hardware, hand painting the pickguard, nitro clear coating the neck and body, re-assembly, set-up, intonation, packing and shipping the guitar. So, That's about $9.50 per hour on this one. I have sold around 660 relic guitars and probably 50 of these Mustangs. They usually sell quickly. I work usually 12 hours per day doing a job I love. I sold 100 relic guitars last year for a total of $75,000, so I am able to make a living and support my family doing these. I sell Squiers to offer a more affordable model, most of mine are around $950-1,400 and are custom made models and Fenders. Many buyers are repeat customers and by 2-5 of my relics. I welcome you to read my feedback from happy customers. To the negative critics: show me a picture of a relic guitar you did. I would love to see it, I will not waste my time trying to insult your work because I would not waste my time insulting others. I am busy doing something positive with my time.
Here's some advice for what it's worth.

Folks in the industry who relic guitars for the most well-known brand around often get a lot of criticism concerning their work. So while it may not be any consolation, you are certainly not alone. You and the folks at Fender are in a sense in the same boat, and because this type of work is visible and to a degree controversial, it is bound to attract a few critics. I observe the same type of criticism on various social media when friends of mine post the guitars they have built and aged, and members of the public post negative or even rude comments about them. Guess what - while those guitar builders may be irritated and even hurt about it, they just carry on doing what they do and keep their powder dry. After all, the guitars that many criticise ultimately sell to folks who appreciate them and that is what it is all about.

Like you say, you earn an honest living and support your family and respect to you for that. Actually, while the reliced Epiphone didn't float my personal boat, I quite liked the Mustang which I think I mentioned, and I recall reading someone else saying the same about it. So the comments about your work were certainly not all bad. I also recall in this or another thread that someone was criticising a guitar that was reliced by a well-known, respected, and highly skilled guitar builder. I know the guy concerned and I liked the particular guitar that was being discussed and thought it was a great relic, but others totally disagreed. Bottom line - relics will always polarise opinions and as a result they attract critics like flies around ****.

The best way to handle criticism of something that you have created and are proud of, and that people are prepared to spend good money on, is to ignore the critics and get on with the job. When you create or make something and put it on the market, you essentially stick your head over the parapet, and life is such that certain folks can't resist the temptation to take a shot. Who knows this might be your only post here, or you might stick around and add some value. Whatever you do, good luck in your future endeavours!

M300

New Member!
Jul 14, 2022
Parkersburg WV
Here's some advice for what it's worth.

Folks in the industry who relic guitars for the most well-known brand around often get a lot of criticism concerning their work. So while it may not be any consolation, you are certainly not alone. You and the folks at Fender are in a sense in the same boat, and because this type of work is visible and to a degree controversial, it is bound to attract a few critics. I observe the same type of criticism on various social media when friends of mine post the guitars they have built and aged, and members of the public post negative or even rude comments about them. Guess what - while those guitar builders may be irritated and even hurt about it, they just carry on doing what they do and keep their powder dry. After all, the guitars that many criticise ultimately sell to folks who appreciate them and that is what it is all about.

Like you say, you earn an honest living and support your family and respect to you for that. Actually, while the reliced Epiphone didn't float my personal boat, I quite liked the Mustang which I think I mentioned, and I recall reading someone else saying the same about it. So the comments about your work were certainly not all bad. I also recall in this or another thread that someone was criticising a guitar that was reliced by a well-known, respected, and highly skilled guitar builder. I know the guy concerned and I liked the particular guitar that was being discussed and thought it was a great relic, but others totally disagreed. Bottom line - relics will always polarise opinions and as a result they attract critics like flies around ****.

The best way to handle criticism of something that you have created and are proud of, and that people are prepared to spend good money on, is to ignore the critics and get on with the job. When you create or make something and put it on the market, you essentially stick your head over the parapet, and life is such that certain folks can't resist the temptation to take a shot. Who knows this might be your only post here, or you might stick around and add some value. Whatever you do, good luck in your future endeavours!
Hi Gary, good advise and much truth to your comments. I don't usually comment on stuff like this. I just wanted people to understand how little profit is actually made on a guitar like this and how much work is put into it. -thanks bud -Nate

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
Hi Gary, good advise and much truth to your comments. I don't usually comment on stuff like this. I just wanted people to understand how little profit is actually made on a guitar like this and how much work is put into it. -thanks bud -Nate
Hi Nate - hey my pleasure. I understand and I'm sure others do too. Hey you might have inspired me to have a go here in the UK as well. By the way, reading the various threads here and also comments on Instagram and so on, it can seem like there are a lot of relic haters out there. But as I often say to folks, people who buy relics have been keeping Fender and others very busy for some time now, and anyway my philosophy is "each to their own." I have three relics and I love them. Best wishes from Cornwall, UK.

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
I seen this thread a week or two back, and checked the listing. I'm not overly into heavy relics myself, but objectively speaking - I think you do a great job. I checked your feedback too, and you have a LOT of happy customers, you do not get that sort of feedback without hard work and an excellent level of service. DO NOT let one or two mean-spirited comments throw you off - you're doing what you love for a living, and you're doing it great :) 👍

M300

New Member!
Jul 14, 2022
Parkersburg WV
I seen this thread a week or two back, and checked the listing. I'm not overly into heavy relics myself, but objectively speaking - I think you do a great job. I checked your feedback too, and you have a LOT of happy customers, you do not get that sort of feedback without hard work and an excellent level of service. DO NOT let one or two mean-spirited comments throw you off - you're doing what you love for a living, and you're doing it great :) 👍
Thank you:)