Help -Selling a 1962 Olympic white

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko465

Strat-Talk Member
May 18, 2022
PA
Hi, my dad recently passed. He left me his 1962 Olympic white. He had it authenticated, but I’m going to have to do that again because I don’t know where that is. Where would be the best place to sell it? I’m very sentimental about a lot of things but not this guitar because he never played it. He was a bass player. Any advise? Is there a certain authentication I should be looking for? I know with diamonds, for example, you’d get it evaluated by GIA. Is there an equivalent in the guitar world? Are there vintage instrument auctions? In the vintage auto world, for a high dollar vehicle, you look at mecum or Barrett Jackson auctions. Is there something like that for instruments? I’d really appreciate any help I can get. I know nothing about this sort of thing. 922D8120-03D0-459E-B89E-271D33C512A2.jpeg

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Sorry for your loss. There was another thread with similar circumstances and has a lot of good advice. A '62 in good condition can be worth a lot.

GuitarTalk

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
Hi, my dad recently passed. He left me his 1962 Olympic white. He had it authenticated, but I’m going to have to do that again because I don’t know where that is. Where would be the best place to sell it? I’m very sentimental about a lot of things but not this guitar because he never played it. He was a bass player. Any advise? Is there a certain authentication I should be looking for? I know with diamonds, for example, you’d get it evaluated by GIA. Is there an equivalent in the guitar world? Are there vintage instrument auctions? In the vintage auto world, for a high dollar vehicle, you look at mecum or Barrett Jackson auctions. Is there something like that for instruments? I’d really appreciate any help I can get. I know nothing about this sort of thing. View attachment 563490

Sorry for your loss. My recommendation for you to get $45,000 USD or more (assuming the guitar is all original and in the shape it looks to be in the photo you posted) as quickly as possible without giving an arm and a leg to an auction house which will sell the guitar to a dealer for a fraction of what it would sell for in the larger open market:

Step 1) Gruhn Guitars is great for appraisals, instantly recognized and respected by buyers all around the world.

Step 2) In addition to the appraisal letter that you'll have from Gruhn, get some professional photos of the guitar taken... in fact ask Gruhn to snap some photos when they're taking the guitar apart for appraisal purposes.

Step 3) List the guitar on Reverb (reverb.com). Make sure to select a "NO returns policy" (ie the item is sold as is and once the shipment is marked as received, or the buyer picks the guitar up, the deal is FINAL). It's the same process as listing anything on Craigslist/Ebay/Kijiji. List it 5-10% ABOVE the appraised value as Reverb charges the LESSER of 5% or $500. Given that this guitar will sell for at least $45,000 USD, your maximum fee with Reverb will be $500 (about 1%... no auction house will give you a bigger market at that fee). Select the "allow offers" option, and watch offers and messages pile in over the next few days. You will get a buyer (I would be one of those buyers if this conversation were happening 6months ago when I was shopping for a custom colour strat myself).

Step 4) If the above is too much of a hassle, I'll wire you $25k for it right now and let's call it a deal (I kid).

Best of luck with the sale, should be fairly easy with a beautiful and rare strat like that.

Last edited:

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Six Strings Under
Hi Marko. More than just getting it appraised by Gruhn, or Carters. I would suggest you get Carters to sell it on behalf for you. They are one of the most trusted names in the industry, have a rockstar customer base, and take less commission than most of the competition (15% of sale price).

Can I tell you from experience, you will get more money out of the deal by letting them sell it for you, even after their commission, than you will trying to sell it privately.

Reverb and Ebay are the wild west, favor the buyer in any dispute, and charge big fees to give your product very little in the way of credibility. I wouldn't use them to sell a vintage LP let alone a vintage strat.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
That's a cool pic. On a side note you can probably use that as "proof" that its been in the family for a while. I know it doesn't show serial numbers etc, but it's something!
Very true, I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube of these old Fenders for sale... Norman's Rare Guitars, Emerald City Guitars and so on - and buyers love this sort of thing!

GuitarTalk

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
Very true, I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube of these old Fenders for sale... Norman's Rare Guitars, Emerald City Guitars and so on - and buyers love this sort of thing!
Yeah, if Emerald City Guitars gets a whiff of this photo and story, they’ll send a full video production crew to OP’s house, buy him lunch, make a YT video for the guitar and sell it for him for $60k USD (netting OP $50k USD) haha

bluejazzoid

Strats Amore
Silver Member
Aug 14, 2009
Southeast USA
Beautiful Strat! Sorry about your dad.

Good advice above.... but really, you should keep it (if you are in a position to do so) and learn to play it!

Marko465

Strat-Talk Member
May 18, 2022
PA
Yeah, if Emerald City Guitars gets a whiff of this photo and story, they’ll send a full video production crew to OP’s house, buy him lunch, make a YT video for the guitar and sell it for him for $60k USD (netting OP $50k USD) haha
There’s more to the story. My dad and I were watching Wayne’s world in the 90’s. Wayne would go into the guitar shop and dream about the guitar in the special case. He got real quiet during that scene and then he said, that’s my guitar. I’ve got the same one. It wasn’t until that moment that he realized it was worth something.

Marko465

Strat-Talk Member
May 18, 2022
PA

Good advice above.... but really, you should keep it (if you are in a position to do so) and learn to play it!
I’m not musical at all. And like I said, my dad was a bass player. I’m not sure why he ever bought it. I have no memory of him ever playing it. I have lots of his things I’m sentimental about, but not this, really.

Marko465

Strat-Talk Member
May 18, 2022
PA

Good advice above.... but really, you should keep it (if you are in a position to do so) and learn to play i
Actually, Thinking back, I do now remember a time when he played it. When I was a teenager, he got it out once and played the opening rif to sweet child of mine. I was floored! That was when I realized that my dad being a guitar player was cool! It’s nice to talk about some of these memories. I haven’t thought about some of these things in decades.

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
That is just one of the best-looking Strats I've ever seen. I love old Olympic white Strats and that is unbelievably beautiful. And that is a great picture. Get a color copy made for the interested parties, but keep that photo.

I also wouldn't leave it on that stand very long. I've seen the rubber (or whatever) on those stands discolor the guitar. Better safe than sorry.

Best of luck to you and whatever you end up doing with that guitar. If I were a buyer (never gonna happen in my financial life), that one would be at the top of my list.

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
I'm sorry about your loss. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories and spent a lot of time with your father, and that's priceless.
Best of luck with this guitar sale. It is one of the most desirable Fender Stratocasters around, and is a beautiful example!

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
George Gruhn (https://guitars.com)has been dealing with vintage guitars for years and years. I believe you can get an on line appraisal along with authentication.

Diggin the flip top, that was my first amp, as with many things, I wish I still had it.

Sorry about your dad.

davi3blu3

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 26, 2021
Nashville, TN
Thank you everyone for the help. Just for fun, here’s me with the guitar in the 70’s.
That's such a great photo. If that's not in a frame somewhere, you should consider it.

Sorry about your old man. Understand what you mean about sentiment -- but I would encourage you to crank it to 10 at least once before you let it go. 🤘 Super cool axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.