• Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster

• Grestch Streamliner (no Bigsby)

• Epiphone 335

Results are only viewable after voting.

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
I am looking to buy a new electric soon, and I've come down to my two dream guitars that I have to choose from. I'm trying to decide between a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, and a Grestch Streamliner. I play pretty much every genre, but specifically surf, hence the Jazzmaster. I've also wanted an Epiphone 335, but I'm totally stumped on what I'd get. My guitar center has an entire wall of Grestch, and last time I went there was a sonic blue jazzmaster, I don't know about the 335. Any help appreciated thanks.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I think since you are obviously a surf guitar aficionado, the Jazzmaster would be the obvious choice.

The Streamliners are nice guitars, but their pickups are less than stellar.

The 335 is a nice guitar, but again, you're a surf guy, so... Jazzmaster.

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
I don't know how you now the OP is into surf guitar... I shouldn't be surprised... @Ebidis just knows stuff! That's that then! Paging Dick Dale Jazz master!!!
I wouldn't question it...
Let us see the pix (Jazzmaster)! 😁🌈🎉⛱️

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
The surf rock obviously screams Jazzmaster.

But since op says s/he plays a lot of different genres, the 335 could be the right choice overall. If I already had a Strat (can I assume that op has a Strat?), I might prefer to get the 335 and play surf rock with the Strat.

Really, you gotta try them both. There’s no shortage of either of them to try/buy used, too.

(I don’t like the Gretsch, btw. Bigsbies are too much hardware for me, too clumsy and in the way, and I don’t like Gretsch pickups.)

StratUp

Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
If I had the cash I'd be really tempted with the new Yamaha Revstars. The P90 type one would surf it up

I don't know if you can get surf out of P 90s. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get it out of mine. I think you need fender type singles for that. You could definitely get it from a Strat, or a Tele, or a jazz master, or a Jaguar. But not with P 90s.

However, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow anyway. Maybe with the right reverb and EQ you can make it happen. I'm curious now.

KOTC

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 23, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I think since you are obviously a surf guitar aficionado, the Jazzmaster would be the obvious choice.

The Streamliners are nice guitars, but their pickups are less than stellar.

The 335 is a nice guitar, but again, you're a surf guy, so... Jazzmaster.
Gotta agree with this. I will say though, I was looking at one of the new Epiphone 335s in a store recently, and they’ve really upped their game..

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
The surf rock obviously screams Jazzmaster.

But since op says s/he plays a lot of different genres, the 335 could be the right choice overall. If I already had a Strat (can I assume that op has a Strat?), I might prefer to get the 335 and play surf rock with the Strat.

Really, you gotta try them both. There’s no shortage of either of them to try/buy used, too.

(I don’t like the Gretsch, btw. Bigsbies are too much hardware for me, too clumsy and in the way, and I don’t like Gretsch pickups.)
Yeah, I got a Strat, Tele, Les Paul copy-thing. When I buy a guitar I try to get one different from the ones I already have. I really like the looks of all of them and I think I've had a want for a jazzmaster longer than the other two.
Gotta agree with this. I will say though, I was looking at one of the new Epiphone 335s in a store recently, and they’ve really upped their game..
Yeah, I feel like most people always consider them cheap, but I feel you get more bang for your buck going with a 450 Epiphone than a 450 Squier

StratUp

Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Yeah, I got a Strat, Tele, Les Paul copy-thing. When I buy a guitar I try to get one different from the ones I already have. I really like the looks of all of them and I think I've had a want for a jazzmaster longer than the other two.

Yeah, I feel like most people always consider them cheap, but I feel you get more bang for your buck going with a 450 Epiphone than a 450 Squier

If you've already got those bases covered, get some P90's, for sure.

Seamus OReally

Outta here
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Way out west
Have you played them all? I had the money burning a hole in my pocket when I went to Bananas At Large specifically to buy a Squier CV Jazzmaster, and I walked out empty handed. I just couldn’t like the neck.