Happy, new old Yamaha amp, similar to one I already own, day! (Yamaha JX content)

mutato

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 10, 2007
RI
I have my tube amps. But I also like to get some (cheap) backup amps for my band practice space. And generally get drawn to certain cool looking older SS amps. A couple years back, I had gotten an early 80's (Possibly only 1982) Yamaha JX35 30 watt amp for $50 in brown tolex. Fully functioning. But non original speaker and missing knobs. Knobs for this particular year are like "unubtanium" because they revised the knobs the next year. I've enjoyed it as a backup amp.

So I'm CL surfing and what shows up? A JX55 50 watt amp! $125. Missing a few knobs but all original speaker etc...

So I bought it! I played both amps and compared before I let one go. Both sound great. The volume was not a big difference. Both hold up fine with loud drummer and take pedals well. I ended up sticking with the JX55. Original speaker sounds a little janglier, has a foot switchable reverb and a 3 selection Mid voice knob. Which somehow delivers a subtle difference in tone. I had upgraded the JX35 amp with a reverb tank along bottom which surpasses the mini chassis-attached reverb that came standard on these. So I switched that out and put that in my JX55. I grabbed the knobs and made the JX55 complete. There is now order in the JX Universe. LOL

(The JX35 on the left is on CL in Rhode Island BTW)

B045DEB2-85CE-4CD2-B7A1-AE5DA8ED19B2 2.JPEG

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

Upgraded the mini reverb tank with a bottom mounted Accutronics tank. I chose long decay, which is a little too long. In hindsight, I'd have chosen medium decay.

5D3F4FCA-4149-40CE-82FB-CCB268617F06.JPEG

vampirebait

New Member!
Jun 22, 2022
The Wasteland
I have my tube amps. But I also like to get some (cheap) backup amps for my band practice space. And generally get drawn to certain cool looking older SS amps. A couple years back, I had gotten an early 80's (Possibly only 1982) Yamaha JX35 30 watt amp for $50 in brown tolex. Fully functioning. But non original speaker and missing knobs. Knobs for this particular year are like "unubtanium" because they revised the knobs the next year. I've enjoyed it as a backup amp.

So I'm CL surfing and what shows up? A JX55 50 watt amp! $125. Missing a few knobs but all original speaker etc...

So I bought it! I played both amps and compared before I let one go. Both sound great. The volume was not a big difference. Both hold up fine with loud drummer and take pedals well. I ended up sticking with the JX55. Original speaker sounds a little janglier, has a foot switchable reverb and a 3 selection Mid voice knob. Which somehow delivers a subtle difference in tone. I had upgraded the JX35 amp with a reverb tank along bottom which surpasses the mini chassis-attached reverb that came standard on these. So I switched that out and put that in my JX55. I grabbed the knobs and made the JX55 complete. There is now order in the JX Universe. LOL

View attachment 419128

View attachment 419129

View attachment 419130

View attachment 419131

Upgraded the mini reverb tank with a bottom mounted Accutronics tank. I chose long decay, which is a little too long. In hindsight, I'd have chosen medium decay.

View attachment 419128

View attachment 419129

View attachment 419130

View attachment 419131

View attachment 419132
Any suggestions on a replacement tank for the JX35? Thanks!

mutato

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 10, 2007
RI
Any suggestions on a replacement tank for the JX35? Thanks!
Hi, you have to get the specs right off that mini tank (if it's still on your amp!). They mount them right on the bottom of the chassis.
It's been a while, but I think the specs are there. You basically want that to buy the replacement. Totally doable. Good luck.