Happy 4th of July !

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
Well, if it was as simple as the four owls returning to drop pamphlets over St. Aggies, the story wouldn’t be quite as compelling, would it?

Crowd theory dictates that the crowd is by nature hostile toward anyone who questions the prestige of the crowd’s leader(s). So yeah, I’ll take coy over suicidal. :)

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
Well, if it was as simple as the four owls returning to drop pamphlets over St. Aggies, the story wouldn’t be quite as compelling, would it?

Crowd theory dictates that the crowd is by nature hostile toward anyone who questions the prestige of the crowd’s leader(s). So yeah, I’ll take coy over suicidal. :)
Ever heard of 'gaslighting'?

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
So you've been gaslighted your whole life?
That can't be good.
Not my whole life. But much of it. Gaslighting, Munchausen by proxy, general physical abuse, etc. College and grad school were free, though. And I married into a wonderfully free family. Took me a while to properly see my past for what it was — basically I saw the word “gaslighting” on a book cover or something, had to look it up, and then went “holy ****.” Also when I read Erich Fromm’s “The Authoritarian Personality” and learned about “kick the dog syndrome”, I was like “oh, yeah, that’s my parents . . . except we didn’t have a dog.”

So now my radar is always on. Collective gaslighting is everywhere. Like, “it’s political to say that my political thread is political.” Or “no spin zone.” Or something my eldest does to my youngest that drives me mad: “she’s being mean when she says that I’m being mean.”

It’s pernicious in its effects, but even more so in how shifty and unaddressable it is at its source.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
Not my whole life. But much of it. Gaslighting, Munchausen by proxy, general physical abuse, etc. College and grad school were free, though. And I married into a wonderfully free family. Took me a while to properly see my past for what it was — basically I saw the word “gaslighting” on a book cover or something, had to look it up, and then went “holy ****.”

So now my radar is always on. Collective gaslighting is everywhere. Like, “it’s political to say that my political thread is political.” Or “no spin zone.” Or something my eldest does to my youngest that drives me mad: “she’s being mean when she says that I’m being mean.”

It’s pernicious in its effects, but even more so in how shifty and unaddressable it is at its source.

Latest posts