Fender Jack Ferrule Not Vintage Correct???

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
No. The screws used by the Custom Shop are CORRECT and larger in all dimensions when compared to pickguard screws. Why would I plug and re-drill holes in order to fit incorrect screws.

What model custom shop do you have? Did you buy it through Wildwood special order or was it hanging on the wall? Maybe while new in the store it had a repair with the jack? They lost the screws?

I’ve had lots of custom shops and have never ever come across this issue with a giant screw head sticking out of the jack. Every single hardware screw and metal part on a custom shop is identical to the AV series(pure vintage parts) and the newest American original series. Yes they should be a bigger screw but they’re not.

I can’t see them doing it on a few and then sending it out the door looking like you can hang your keys off of it.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
The only real difference in the current screws is that they are threaded the entire length.

Here are vintage screws.

View attachment 582831

So see this pic, that top one is what was the original plan back then, that changes. Also see how sharp the dome shape is. The screw in yours is neither of those. It’s really fat and round. I’ve never seen that on a fender. So there’s something odd going on from Wildwood to your hands.

h4ck.b0x7

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2012
Detroit, MI
So see this pic, that top one is what was the original plan back then, that changes. Also see how sharp the dome shape is. The screw in yours is neither of those. It’s really fat and round. I’ve never seen that on a fender. So there’s something odd going on from Wildwood to your hands.

Here are the screws in mine taken with a macro lens. The left is a #5x5/8” while the right is a #4x1/2” which is exactly what the American Original part sheet calls for.

5FF036C9-AE86-4D8C-9A23-49E18232FA5D.jpeg

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
I'd just find some screws with a less bulbous head in my spares box, at a hardware store, Amazon or whatever. If they don't screw in tight, a couple cut-down toothpicks in the hole with some wood glue will secure them and will be an imperceptible fix. No fill & re-drill necessary.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m not sure what the question is anymore. Either way they put in the correct bigger screw size but still wrong compared to vintage(fully threaded). It doesn’t fit the jack plate.

So I’m not sure what you’re trying to do anymore. Get it vintage correct or just to sit flush? Vintage correct you’d need to find the correct bigger not fully threaded screws and a jack plate to allow the bigger correct screws to sit flush.

Open up the holes in the jack plate for these screws to fit correctly or just get 2 pickguard screws like 99% of the custom shops out there.

h4ck.b0x7

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2012
Detroit, MI
I’m not sure what the question is anymore. Either way they put in the correct bigger screw size but still wrong compared to vintage(fully threaded). It doesn’t fit the jack plate.

So I’m not sure what you’re trying to do anymore. Get it vintage correct or just to sit flush? Vintage correct you’d need to find the correct bigger not fully threaded screws and a jack plate to allow the bigger correct screws to sit flush.

Open up the holes in the jack plate for these screws to fit correctly or just get 2 pickguard screws like 99% of the custom shops out there.

The original question was why don’t they sit flush? The answer is the Jack plate is no longer countersunk for a #5 oval head screw, it’s countersunk for a #4 screw.

The solution is either properly countersink the screw holes or find a plate that is vintage accurate.

As for the extra threading on the screw, that’s not a big deal.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
In that case I’d just countersink the holes on the plate. Funny though because I remember when I bought my AV 54 used a while ago. I had the same situation but one was a regular pickguard screw that didn’t tighten up. The other was a bigger 3/4 threaded screw. The previous owner had messed around with the electronics so I just assumed he put in whatever screws he had laying around.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Doing some digging myself I found that around 1958 the pickguard screws all changed to fully threaded. Anything I google for Strats in the 60’s they appear to use all the same screws for the pickguard and jack plate.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Actually some info on this site

h4ck.b0x7

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2012
Detroit, MI
Actually some info on this site

Yes, this shows further examples with the larger countersink.

I’m pretty sure those aren’t pickguard screws though. It’s REALLY hard to be sure without them side by side. Looks like they may have have transitioned to full threads on these as well in 1958.

The Jack screws were the same screws that were and are still used for the Tele control plates.

Last edited:

h4ck.b0x7

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2012
Detroit, MI
The screws used back then seem to be a little nicer than what we have today. Who knows though, the heads just seem to have crisper lines.

h4ck.b0x7

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2012
Detroit, MI
I spent hours looking at photos and pulled out my copy of The Fender Stratocaster by A.R. Duchossoir. It seems Fender switched from using 3 different size wood screws to only 1 size during 1965 when CBS took over. By 1967 they were 100% using the #4x1/2” pickguard screws for the jack plate as well as the back tremolo cavity cover. This would make sense from an ease of assembly and cost perspective.

F4FC9B39-0B76-408A-A433-41B13036D9ED.jpeg 78836798-3ED0-40A6-A9A3-15D315D4896E.jpeg

h4ck.b0x7

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2012
Detroit, MI
I found the best way to compare is to look at the pickguard screws along with the switch/pickup screws. If you compare the Jack plate to the switch and the Jack plate is using the pickguard size they will look wildly different.

Before the change the screws were:
#4 Pickguard
#5 Jack Plate
#6 Switch/Pickup

After:
#4 Pickguard/Jack Plate
#6 Switch/Pickup

01FE7498-1550-4566-B797-CA69FEEED8A4.jpeg

446B846B-78FC-45A0-8068-FD263F7DB17D.jpeg

63A946B1-AEBA-4498-9C7C-16B548325C08.jpeg

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Any 60s reissue Strat that doesn't feature ceiling-tile material instead of "clay dots" is also not vintage correct. Want vintage correct? Buy a vintage instrument that is still stock. Obsessing over such things is time wasted that you will never get back.