Fender American Vintage II leak

Nerd

Strat-O-Master
Apr 7, 2014
In between
Yeah, didn’t you know?

All that finish they apply (including the sealer) just suffocates the wood.

Manufacturers should be charged with crimes against….. ‘woody things’.
I have two guitars currently. Recent nitro Custom 24 and 90s Standard 24. Custom dings even when you look at it while Standard looks virtually new. Both equally resonant. AmPro I had couple of years ago had very thin polyurethane finish and was the most resonant strat I ever had - the heaviest too lol. It cured me from the nitro thing. Any finish as long as thin enough will do just fine

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun

Knightrich

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 15, 2020
Tennessee
Good point but scanning reverb right now I rarely see them for less than £3k. Recent prices are sick
Same here. I maybe see them for $2,800 USD on Reverb so if I find one locally it’s a little easier to talk the price down (no fees for seller!) but it’s very circumstantial. Got to strike when the iron is hot!

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Good point but scanning reverb right now I rarely see them for less than £3k. Recent prices are sick

Reverb is kind of joke for any deals. Any site that you have to pay to sell something the price will always be on the higher side. Any of the CS stuff was bought locally private sale or in a local shop used. If you find used they’re not really much more then any of the current used and retail prices of any of the vintage reissues.

hhause19

New Member!
Oct 6, 2022
Worcester, MA
Reverb is kind of joke for any deals. Any site that you have to pay to sell something the price will always be on the higher side. Any of the CS stuff was bought locally private sale or in a local shop used. If you find used they’re not really much more then any of the current used and retail prices of any of the vintage reissues.
I think the good deals on there don't last long on there either. It's so easy to save searches and set alerts on new postings that any CS listed around 2.5k will have people watching it and making offers within a couple days of listing. Non reverb is better deals but usually harder to find something that meets the exact criteria you're looking for.

Nerd

Strat-O-Master
Apr 7, 2014
In between
I agree the deals happen. I mean I got my PRS Standard 24 with the most beautiful mahagony swirl on the top with birds for less than £1100, and I bet I could find a CS Fender for what they call on AVII but... I don't really think 2k for a strat with spec I always wanted to have, with current quality of US Fenders is a lot... OK, PRS again - Silver Sky with a gig back is like what, £2k5? EBMM Cutlass is 2k5 too - agree its more guitar for the money with roasted neck and top hardware but I still would rather have a Stratocaster in all its beauty and the historical status.

I may sound weird, or like one who try to validate his decision on buying less desire model but 15 years Custom Shop is just 15 years old CS guitar. 15 years old AVRI is holding its value much better. Especially in desirable finish option.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree the deals happen. I mean I got my PRS Standard 24 with the most beautiful mahagony swirl on the top with birds for less than £1100, and I bet I could find a CS Fender for what they call on AVII but... I don't really think 2k for a strat with spec I always wanted to have, with current quality of US Fenders is a lot... OK, PRS again - Silver Sky with a gig back is like what, £2k5? EBMM Cutlass is 2k5 too - agree its more guitar for the money with roasted neck and top hardware but I still would rather have a Stratocaster in all its beauty and the historical status.

I may sound weird, or like one who try to validate his decision on buying less desire model but 15 years Custom Shop is just 15 years old CS guitar. 15 years old AVRI is holding its value much better. Especially in desirable finish option.

A 15 year old custom shop versus a 15 year old vintage reissue, the AVRI wild hold it’s value better? I’m not sure what you mean. I have both. Both bought used and both will hold their value and actually the CS broadcaster I’ve been offered triple what I paid so depending on what you have for guitars. Also your desirable colour may be someone’s least favourite.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I think the good deals on there don't last long on there either. It's so easy to save searches and set alerts on new postings that any CS listed around 2.5k will have people watching it and making offers within a couple days of listing. Non reverb is better deals but usually harder to find something that meets the exact criteria you're looking for.
And you have flippers like Trogly who have no "day job" and can monitor Reverb and other outlets 24/7

sale83

Strat-Talker
May 25, 2011
Serbia
61. sunburst is mine..when it gets available.

I see they kept the case candy od American Original, so no cable, no vintage strap, no old envelope like with AV from 2012.
But details like pat pend below "synchronised tremolo" and contour body is cool detail.
And I hope that it will fell, play and sound just as great as my '56 and '57..

Last edited:

mike58

Strat-Talker
Nov 25, 2017
Uk
Last edited:

Nerd

Strat-O-Master
Apr 7, 2014
In between
I was hoping to see the fac simile vintage case candy with these like the American Vintage series but so far I haven't seen any indication of that.
I know it's still early and all but given the price, it would be pretty disappointing to not have that.
Agree. If they went there with a vintage spec it would be great to match it with a vintage inspired COA.

Stratbats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I talked to Sweetwater & they evidently have them and will be released on the 11th. The only '61s they have now are the white ones. I want a sunburst; or possibly a Fiesta Red, if it doesn't look too "pinky."